Asking for Support

MsMaki
on 12/7/15 9:14 am - Chino, CA

Hey all,

I am 5 years out and have regained about 35 pounds over the last couple of years. My size hasnt changed much in that I'm in the same pants size but I am noticing a difference in mood  etc. Within the past couple of years my alcohol intake has increased to having about 1-2 glasses per night depending on my stress level. I'm aware that I'm exchanging one vice for another. I'm just needing some support. I'd like to get back down to my lowest for health reasons and am feeling very frustrated with myself.

LMyers1020
on 12/7/15 9:41 am - Alexander City, AL

In the same boat as you. I had rny in August of 09.  Started putting some weight back on this year.  I started today with protein shakes.  Going to concentrate on water intake and back to basic routine as I did right after surgery.   I don't know the answer but it helps just talking about it.   I will being sending positive thoughts and prayer for the both of us and anyone else that is getting back on the diet wagon....

MsMaki
on 12/7/15 9:49 am - Chino, CA

Thanks LMyers. I have my food planned out and with me today. Yes I do think it just helps to talk about it and to know that we arent the only ones in this boat.  Best wishes to you!

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/8/15 8:44 am

Every Time I allow myself to have wine I gain weight.  Not only I can eat more when I have wine, but having wine makes me more hungry so then I eat more.  And my choices are not the best  during that time... when then I decide to stop - not only I am better making good food choices - but I also can eat less, my restriction is much better.

How about you give up wine for a month and see if that helps.  If you can't abstain from the wine for 2-3 weeks at a time - you know you have alcohol problem... and you better do  something about that before it is too late, and 1-2  glasses turns into 1 bottle or more...

Maybe you can find new way to deal with the stress?  i.e. getting a hot bath, herbal teas... meditation,yoga...?

counseling may help... Good luck..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MsMaki
on 12/8/15 8:55 am - Chino, CA

H.a.l.a

You are absolutely right. I can and do eat more when I consume the wine. I do believe that I've made it into a bad habit of decompressing and that there are other strategies that I can use. Thank you for the feedback.

LA5767
on 12/9/15 6:15 am

I don't think there is a person alive that cant relate to set backs in some capacity of life.

Recognizing it, and fighting for yourself is a  huge step forward.

If you'd like to add me I can sure at least listen and offer support

Lynne

MsMaki
on 12/9/15 10:11 am - Chino, CA

Thank you Lynne,

I really appreciate that.

JA
on 12/16/15 8:41 am - East Haven, CT

Regain happens to almost everyone!  Alcohol is full of sugar, and sugar makes the scale go up.  I cannot drink wine at all; I get totally drunk and cannot remember a thing after two glasses.  I've never been much of a drinker anyway, so it's not a problem for me to avoid it.  Try just removing the alcohol from your diet and I'll bet the scale will go down.

This is not an easy journey.  I hate when people indicate that it is the easy way out, because if they walked a mile in our shoes, they'd see that was not true.

Hang in.  You're on a good path because you've recognized there's an issue.  Now just tackle it

Good luck!

JA

karin602
on 12/22/15 3:11 pm - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Wine makes nice holiday gifts and will get it out of your sight! Your gain has added to your stress levels as well. Getting back to basics will not be easy but think of how good it will feel in the end. Unfortunately this is a life long marathon we signed up for. You can win this race!

Karin

Skibumel
on 12/26/15 9:17 pm

I am six years out and am in the same boat. I have gained 35 lbs since March. This coincides with a friend of mine opening a wine bar and I swing by to see her 4-5 times a week and drink a glass or two. I drank before but always vodka with water only. I'm going to go alcohol free for 30-45 days and also jumpstart with a week or two of shakes to get back to basics.

Most Active
Recent Topics