Selecting the Right Coordinator for Revision Surgery in Mexico

Ordinary Sammy
on 1/4/16 2:25 pm
Revision on 01/25/16

I just started speaking with a coordinator about scheduling revision surgery with Dr. Jaime Ponce de Leon. I haven't agreed to anything, but after reviewing the details of their offerings, I received information from another coordinator who facilitates surgery for the same doctor, but instead of staying at the Lucerna hotel, they have 2 recovery houses. 1. Do you have any suggestions for the best information and follow up in a coordinator type company, and 2. Dr. Ponce...does not offer any nutritional follow up, while the other doctors supported by the second coordinator offer 2 years of nutritional support with a US based nutritionist. I am waiting for confirmation on financing...open to suggestions there, too. Currently, based on the coordinator's suggestion, I have applied for a loan from e-financing. I am hoping to schedule for this month or early next month. 

Thank you!!! 

TeashaLorna
on 1/4/16 3:15 pm, edited 1/4/16 7:16 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

I went through Dr Ponce and know several people who have. Trish his coordinator is amazing. I would not hesitate for one moment to recommend them. As for the nutrition side of the house I got all the help I needed on obesity help. Com and I use my fitness pal faithfully have for over three years now. 

Trish also kept in touch with me for over a year and we still do communicate occasionally. We even skiyped in that first couple of years. 

Good luck with your decision. Lorna 

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Ordinary Sammy
on 1/4/16 3:33 pm
Revision on 01/25/16

Thanks so much for sharing, Lorna! Can you tell me which hospital you went to? My paperwork says that Dr. Ponce is doing surgery at Florence Hospital, now, not INT. I have heard that Frorence is older, but clean and comfortable, but that INT is new and advanced. Also, did you stay at the Lucerna Hotel? Their photos show both very nice and very bare rooms. And, it looks like your surgery has been quite successful!!!! Congrats to you!! Which procedure did you go with? I have had Lapband since 2012, but only problems since the beginning and I am seeking revision to sleeve. Dr. Ponce appears to be extremely skilled!

Thanks again! 

Samantha 

TeashaLorna
on 1/5/16 9:12 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

Good morning Samantha

My surgery was at the INT and I was really not there all that long only a couple of nights and I was busy walking and getting myself moving so I did not pay much attention to the facility itself. I liked the fact that Dr Ponce has done hundreds if not thousands of these surgeries and has a wealth of experience. I know of 9 others personally who have had their surgeries done by him and no complications, that is just on a personal knowledge basis.  I did stay at the Lucerna but again only for one night and Trish took me out shopping one day and the first day she arranged a pedicure for me in my room.  I had the VSG done and I love my sleeve.  I have been on a reset now for a couple of days to get rid of my Christmas cookie eating antics :-) and my sleeve is just as restricted as ever. However, when you do have the surgery done who ever does it, guard your sleeve with your life and do not overeat it. You will be glad in the end that you do that. The other thing I found and this may sound silly.  Wear tight pants always while lose, it also helps the restriction. No sweat or yoga pants (once you are healed of course). I truly believe for me that it helped me get to goal. Any time you have questions just send me a msg, I will be only to glad to answer if I can.

Lorna

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Ordinary Sammy
on 1/5/16 9:21 am
Revision on 01/25/16

Wow! Your personal experience and that of your friends/family make me feel very comfortable! I will definitely maintain contact with you. I am traveling alone, so it will be good to know as much as possible before I go. I have a local friend here who had the sleeve done here in Florida, and she loves it. I have the band, but after talking to me about the band during her research, she went with the sleeve and loves it. I am hoping to get support from her, and from all of you out there on the forum. Trish just told me that the surgery will actually be at the INT hospital. The paperwork that she sent me said Florence, and I heard that it was older, but honestly, the hospital that used here in Tampa, FL for my band was pretty old, too! Lol. 

I have heard many people say that Trish is there with them by their side, and that also makes me feel very comfortable. One thing I am struggling with is the timing of the travel. I can have it done on Monday January 25th and would be discharged to the hotel on the 28th. However, this will end up being 1 pre-op night at the hotel, and one post-op night at the hotel, and Trish says they only cover one. Can you provide any insight into like, what time you got into San Diego, when you checked in, pre-op testing, actual surgery, etc? I want to make flight arrangements that make it possible to comfortably get back and forth without the danger of missing any flights. 

Thanks again!!

TeashaLorna
on 1/5/16 10:58 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

Hi again,

I flew into San Diego on a Sunday and stayed overnight at my own expense and then was picked up on the Monday morning and driven to the INT and had surgery at 4pm on the Monday, stayed in the hospital Monday night and Tuesday night then over to the hotel on the Wed and stayed two nights there. I paid for one extra night because I wanted to site see a bit. Then was taken back to San Diego on the Friday and caught my flight home to Canada, Manitoba.

Ordinary Sammy
on 1/5/16 11:01 am
Revision on 01/25/16

Absolute best help so far! I will probably come in on Sunday afternoon, have surgery on Monday, stay in hospital Monday and Tuesday night, then hotel on Wednesday and fly out on Thursday. How long did it take to get to the airport? I am thinking that I won't be exactly limber that morning, but most flights are heading back here at like 8am or earlier! Just wondering how early that will have me out the door and headed to the airport. Thanks so much again for everything!

Ordinary Sammy
on 1/5/16 11:13 am
Revision on 01/25/16

Also, and I apologize for all the questions, but do you recall what type of pain and/or nausea medication was used? I have seen several posts that indicate that the pain medicine was sub-par or that they were extremely nauseated. 

TeashaLorna
on 1/5/16 12:09 pm - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

I have a fairly high pain tolerance I think. I was not in much pain at all in fact I never took anything for pain after the 1st day. Nauseau is normal and part of the reason you won't be eating and losing weight. I felt nauseau for several weeks. I took pantoprezenol (Panteloc) and still do for the acid in my tummy. I also took along gas X strips to have there and I used them to help get rid of the gas. Honestly though I set my Ipod to nudge me and I got up and walked the hallways and walked the hallways, that is the best way to get rid of the gas. Some people say take a ho****er bottle with you and put that on your tummy it helps with gas as well.

No problem on the questions.

TeashaLorna
on 1/5/16 12:17 pm - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

I can't remember how long it took to get to the airport, but don't worry about it Trish will help you work all that out. You just tell her your flight times etc and she organizes everything for you.

Try not to worry about pain etc. Don't think about it if you can. Think positive and uplifting thoughts, because whatever it is, it is only for a short period of time and your life will be so much richer once you are on the road to weight loss. Focus on the positive outcomes. My niece did not do that and her surgery was not successful for her, she never reached goal and she was off work for three months. She has also gained back the weight that she lost in the honeymoon phase (the first six months or so). Attitude plays a huge role in any surgery.

I kept in my mind that I would be 100% on program until I reached goal and that is what I did. If I had wandered even a bit I don't think I would have made it.  I listened to people on the boards who had years of experience Frisco and Elina were two of them; they seem hard core, but they had what I wanted and I asked how they got it and did what they said to do. I know others like to take a soft line, and maybe it works for them, but not for me.. I know what I need to do and I have to do it. So when you are reading and researching remember to take what you need and leave the rest.

Most Active
Recent Topics