Good foods to get back on the wagon 11.5 years out?

Mara M.
on 2/16/16 2:24 pm - Fairfield, OH

So I'm 11 and a half years out. Over all I feel I have been one of the lucky ones. 320 down to a lowest weight of 127. I was a size 4 for years. I even had a baby and was back in those size 4's a few weeks later. After about year 6 the creeping started. It wasn't to bad and I held for a few more years at a size 8. Given how thin I was at a 4 I was good with it. Vitamin levels have always looked good. A touch of reactive hypoglycemia but nothing major really. Last 2 years the creep got worse. I'm not at 175 :( I want back to 140 to 145. I went on a cruise 2 weeks ago and broke every rule in the book and now feel like crap. Can't tell if I'm sick or if I totally jacked up my system. I drank a ton, ate foods I never would and lots of them. I was very naughty. So time to get back on the wagon. I just am not sure how to start. I have been away for far to long and am looking for how people get back in control. I know I'm still in a place where I can get back in control but I also realize I need to do it NOW. That I'm flirting with a line here. So I'd love any tips. What do you eat? What do you snack on to satisfy the hunger feeling? I loaded a fitness tracker on my phone. Set my calories to 1500 and am ready to do this. Thanks

Half the woman I used to be
Laura in Texas
on 2/16/16 3:33 pm

How many calories do you normally eat? Many people maintain on 1500. Be prepared to cut back, if you do not lose on 1500.

30 pounds is not much. Remember how far you have come!! It sounds like you have a plan and are on the right track now. Track your food and make changes if necessary. High protein, no crappy carbs. Increase your activity. Forgive yourself and move on from here.

I walk at least 13,000 steps a day. My favorite snacks are string cheese and apples. I still eat every 3 hours. I cut back if I am 3 pounds over my goal.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

kitty764
on 2/22/16 2:15 am

I'm almost 12 years out (9/04), over the years I've been up and down too. I'm in the process of going down. I used phentermine in the past and it worked, but the side effects scare me (heart issues), so now I'm doing it the old fashion way and for me it's all a mindset, a few years ago I was trying to lose a few pounds but I never really stepped on the scale, I went by how my clothes were fitting, then I stepped on the scale and thought the # should have been lower and that's when whatever it was in my brain clicked off and it was downhill from there. 

That switch is flipped again, I started 1/1 and I'm down almost 10 pounds, hoping to lose 10-15 more. 

I don't need a whole lot of variety like my S/O does, I can eat the same thing for a year straight and not get sick of it. For breakfast I usually eat 2 egg whites on corn tortilla or high fiber english muffin with salsa and hot sauce = 150 calories, try to do the same for lunch, that way I have quite a few calories left for dinner (I track with My Fitness Pal 1200/cals) and the God awful night cravings, I eat homemade kale chips a few times a day (in between lunch/dinner and at night), and for dinner either chicken/salmon/chops with a veggie and brown rice or quinoa. Late nights I try hard not to snack.

I know I don't get enough water in and I could definitely stand to exercise more, occasionally I'll do a mile or 2 with Leslie Sansone Walk at Home.

Good luck, you can do this! 

calrnurse
on 3/9/16 12:52 am - San Jose, CA

I am also many years out and in a similar situation. I concentrate on protein first and exercise and water. It is so much harder than previous to lose weight. 

I  still get full quickly with protein. I also wake up hungry during night after I've done my strength training class. 

I  very slowly going down, it took a month for 5 lbs! I am telling myself though, it is the consistency- eating right and journaling, exercise, increased water. By summer, 10 more pounds should be gone. And that will feel awesome :)

jacreasy
on 1/16/18 3:20 pm
VSG on 04/23/12

Hello,

Ill be 6 yrs PO in April 2018 Somehow I lost a year bc I was thinking it was 5 lol. Im struggling with regain of 35-40 lbs (it was 20 lbs) did you have any issues with that? I was going to the gym 6 days a week for 3.5 years had surgery on my knee in 2015 couldn't go for 5 months and lost all motivation. I know what I need to do but cant seem to do it. I fail pretty much everyday. I could give advice all day but doing it myself seems so hard right now. My clothes are tight and I dont like the feeling. I need to go back to basics and probably go to support group as well. Do you track macros? If so can you tell me what yours are right now I try to stay at 1100 cal, under 50 fat, 80+ protein, 2300 sod, less that 160 carbs which probably seems like a lot. I do eat a lot of fruit and veggies but added starchy bad carbs as well. What are sample meals you cook or eat and do you do snacks? Sorry for so many questions I just need to find something that works or Im going to weigh 346 lbs again. I will NOT let that happen so Ive got to fix that now.

Thanks Jennifer :)

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Most Active
Recent Topics