3 years, so far

bytheriver
on 3/8/16 7:45 pm - Puerto Rico

It has been 3 years, since I became sleeved. I have gained 32 lbs and I feel awful about it. I'm going to do the 5 day pouch diet, to help me get on track. Student life, moving, and relationships have taken a toll on my weight. The stress of school and my crazy hours got my eating habits all out of place, a lot of snacking and one meal a day for the most part. To top it off, in January, I moved back home, and moved in with my fiance, and OMG, my eating has really gotten out of control. The only thing I still do, I go to the park, at least 3 times per week and run 3 miles. My fiance likes me chunky, but I keep stressing to him, the more weight I gain, the sicker I will get with blood pressure problems and possible diabetes.

I have to get back on my protein shakes, 90 grams of protein a day, water, yogurts, the basic stuff. I hope I am able to conquer this, I am very worried because I don't want to egress.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/9/16 11:51 am

That far out protein shakes may leave you hungry and stressed. Best way for me to get back on track is proteins + fats = non starchy veggies. Fat is critical - because it keeps us satisfied longer. 

initially I just eat as much as mu body wants of food that i prepared: i.,e. baked chicken, roast beef, roasted pork loin... some avocado, non starchy veggies..... in 2-3 days - my body typically adjust and  I am no longer "hungry" so I can start limiting calories...

the first 3-4 days de-carbing is tough- but since I don't limit how much "chicken"I can eat- it does not feel like a diet.. When I feel hungry - I get some more chicken.. and fresh cucumbers.. 

I can very easy see the real "hunger" from cravings... hunger - I'll eat the chicken... cravings - I don't want the chicken... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

bytheriver
on 3/9/16 4:14 pm - Puerto Rico

Thanks, i will def keep that in mind. I have to plan out my menu for next week, as well. I still use protein shakes because they also give me nutrients and such, and when they are nice and cold, yummy.

Amy R.
on 3/14/16 4:05 pm

Sorry for the late reply but I am just now seeing this.    I wouldn't normally comment but you probably should be made aware that being sleeved you have no pouch to "test".

The whole 5DPT is kind of a scam anyway. It's just another diet, and since you've have WLS you don't need to diet ever again.  Go back to your post op eating plan: dense protein first, non-carby veggies when you have room.  Eliminate or drastically reduce carbs and especially sugar. 

I too had have had regain.  Once was 40+ pounds and the last time was about 50lbs.  I succeeded in losing it both times  by doing just what I explained above.  At over 7 years out I am now at my lowest post op weight EVER.  I don't count calories.  I do monitor sugary snacks because I dump severely and have reactive hypoglycemia.  (The good news for me is that I when I don't eat candy and such I don't have to worry about the dumping/RH so it's all optional for me.) 

You definitely can get the weight back off and maintain.  It's not easy, but it's much easier than it was pre op.

Good luck to you.  Hang around here awhile, post and help newbies with questions.  It might sound odd, but staying involved here has helped me stay committed. When I dropped the site for a few months here or there I would almost always come back with some form of regain.  =)

Most Active
Recent Topics