16 Years And Counting ...

Cheryl Denomy
on 4/17/16 8:20 am - Oshawa, Canada

Sixteen years ago today, I had my surgery -- a Vertical Banded Gastroplasty, how much in the dark ages is that?

A lot of things, good and bad, have happened to me in that time.  Both of my parents have passed -- exactly twelve years and one week apart.  My sons, who were 13 and 9 when I had my surgery, are now 29 and 25, both graduated from college, the eldest living on his own and working in the film industry, the youngest home temporarily and about to embark on his MBA this fall.  I'm still married to the starter husband -- oh, miracle of miracles, considering how out of my mind I was for most of our marriage -- and coming up on 37 years this September 21.

I no longer have to invest in new wardrobes twice annually.  I can tie my shoes without requiring oxygen therapy.  I can go through turnstiles and sit in plane seats and movie theatre seats and stadium seats and not have to spend my time calculating the structural integrity of furniture.  I can walk more than a block without collapsing.

I can wear bright colours -- like red, a colour that I insisted for years I hated -- and bronze, and neon green, and fuschia.  I no longer go into a room and look around to see if I'm the largest person in it.  I can sit in chairs with arms -- something I avoided like the plague for years. 

I don't do shorts -- some things are just better left covered up -- but I do do capri pants -- with patterns.

My life is full -- and, for the last 16 years, I've been living it, no****ching it.

Regrets?  None.

JA
on 4/19/16 8:39 am - East Haven, CT

Congratulations on your WL and your continued success!

Best,

JA

msski
on 4/25/16 10:54 pm - Enterprise, AL

Congratulation !!!! I understand when you say your surgery was in the Dark ages. I will be 15 years post op  open RNY and It was a total blessing. Keep up the good work.

Tara

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/16 8:08 am, edited 5/20/16 1:08 am

I found you! I knew you posted somewhere here. I have gotten nothing but great support from you Miss Cheryl. I come to this place because of the hope I feel from persons that have walked the talk. I appreciate your wisdom and low tolerance to idiocy that will rear it's ugly head in life.

Congrats on 16 years lived on your terms. Food stopped dictating it's will over you when YOU decided. That has helped many to see it is possible to change our direction in life.

Thank you.

Tonya1263
on 5/28/16 4:10 am

You go girl!  I tell people my only regret is not doing the surgery 10 years earlier!  I hope I am doing as well as you are when I am 16 years out.

Tonya

monymony
on 6/1/16 1:44 pm

Hi Cheryl, Congrats on your surgiversary! You have done great. I am also a veteran bandster. I have no regrets and I  would do it again in a heart beat. Mona

Veteran Bandster 2002

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

Mrs.Complications
on 7/14/16 12:00 am

We had surgery just as the boom started. So much has changed.

Most Active
Recent Topics