RNY and Red Wine

HonestOmnivore
on 2/24/17 10:08 am
RNY on 03/29/17

I'm scheduled for an RNY on March 29th - so I'm still a month out. My BMI is 35.7 so I'm not on a diet prior to the surgery and I'm definitely falling into the "food funeral" trap. No weight gain but still...

I'm a wine drinker. Dry, full bodied, reds. I have been told I will have to give up all alcohol after the RNY surgery. Normally I drink a couple of glasses of red wine on Thursday nights as part of a weekly dinner gathering, and maybe a drink one other night of the week. For the past couple of weeks I have been having a glass of wine every night with me meal. I think I'm drinking more because I KNOW I'm going to miss it, and I'm kinda drinking down my collection of decent (as in more than $10/bottle) wines.

I will miss dark chocolate, and I will miss warm homemade bread fresh from the oven, but I will  be fine. The thought of having red meat without a glass of wine though? I'm just... NO! I've given up all alcohol in the past for dieting, but never before was it gone for ever!

What has your experience been in giving up alcohol? Can I drink a little eventually?

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/24/17 12:36 pm

can you ? sure... should you? my simple answer is "No". 

I used to have a glass of wine here and there before RNY.. I could have it or leave it.. often I wouldnot finish a glass. or i had 1/2 bottle... and did fine...

I did not drink for a year post op RNY... I was OK with that. The liver is doing hard enough job as we losing weight...

2 years post op I started having wine... or mixed drinks.. in year 3 and 4 and 5 I was drinking way too much...  I regained 35 lbs... just because.. I was drinking because it helped my gut, or when i git upset , or angry, or at the party, or out with friends...  I was drinking almost every day... my liver enzymes went up... and for another year I was trying to convince myself taht I can drink in moderation...

But 1 glass of wine makes me drunk.. then I feel sober..and I get another one... the next day - I don't like how I feel... 

so in the last 6 months - I gave up drinking.... all of it...I miss it some times..   but only when i overeat... 

transfer addiction is real.. I got very close to be one of the statistic.  It was really hard for me to stop drinking when I did...REALLY hard... I could not have alcohol in a house... that lasted app 6 months... I am glad I stopped when i did... 

it is very easy to cross the line from "wine drinking to an addict"  ....specially post op WLS. Our body processes the alcohol very differently. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

HonestOmnivore
on 2/27/17 1:02 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

Thanks for your input, clearly not what I WANTED to hear so it's even more appreciated!

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Gail Engebretson
on 2/24/17 2:02 pm - Seattle, WA

I'm 13 years out from my surgery. I gave up the wine the first 2-3 years because of the possible impact on the liver. Plus it didn't take much to make me a little tipsy. Now, as with most things in my life, I've learned to live my life in moderation. I will have a glass of wine - and I also like the full-bodied reds - from time to time. I also have a full panel of blood tests done on a regular basis to check not only my vitamin levels but also overall organ function just to be sure. I think that there are certain things we learn to say absolutely no to, like sugar. But if we continue to limit our lives to the degree that we constantly feel deprived then that's going to come back and bite us in the butt at some point. Live and enjoy life without going overboard on any one thing. I figure if I have a glass of wine this weekend then I just cut back on something else, like grains. Balance is a good word to keep in mind.

HonestOmnivore
on 2/27/17 1:05 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

I really hope that a 3oz. glass of red wine will be something I can have from time to time, one day! I know I need to protect my liver, and I need to be realistic about my susceptibility to addictive behavior.

SW - 206 CW - 128

rainesmom
on 2/27/17 1:33 pm - Anahuac, TX

I waited before trying alcohol.  I am now 10 years out and will have a drink or two.  I don't drink daily or even weekly.  As long as you pay attention to your body and take care you don't have to give it up completely.

pattib1st
on 3/12/17 2:43 pm - Bonita Springs, FL

My surgery was in August 2009 - I did drink wine prior to my surgery, and like most of you I was a red full bodied wine drinker. About a year ago I started drinking wine again. It makes me very tipsy very quickly and I found myself drinking it more and more. I have regain some of my weight (not due to the wine) and I think I was feeling defeated/lost. Two weeks ago I decided I was going to get back up and try again. I have quit drinking the wine and have gone back to the basics. Good thing for me is that I have not really stretched my stomach out as I can still only eat small amounts. They were not kidding when they said this is a life time commitment.

I am looking for someone that has had RNY and regained weight and was able to get get themselves back on track and lost weight. I am 55 years old and I am going to beat this.

Thank you,

Patti

Peginpal
on 5/11/17 7:15 pm

Hi! I am new here, but not to WLS. I am 17 years post op. It is a known fact that Gastric Bypass patients have a greater chance of alcoholism than others. I had my first post op drink at 7 months out. I lost the bulk of my weight by year 2. Started at 295..now 162. I became an alcoholic by 2003. Now sober for 9 years. Just be careful. The buzz is much faster and if you keep going..and start feeling better about yourself..it could be a dangerous combo. Hope that helps.

Most Active
Recent Topics