Probiotics? 8 years out....

fernfrog
on 7/11/17 10:06 am - CA

Hey All,

I have never taken probiotics but I keep hearing about good gut health. Do any of you long time out folks take them, have info as to why we should or shouldn't? Any particular kind you find helpful?

Thanks, I'm 8 years out come September. Lost all my weight (and then some) but gained 55lbs back during some stressful times trying to get pregnant (amongst other stressors) the past few years. I'm not unhappy with my weight gain (maintained current weight for about 3 years). I wasn't looking for probiotics to help with that, just wondered if it was something I should be using for better gut health.

Thanks in advance!

Megan

lynnc99
on 7/18/17 3:01 pm

Megan, I just passed my 8 year surgiversary, and I have taken probiotics off an on over the years. I don't know that they exactly "do" much that I can feel or sense....but they don't hurt either. I have used the Probiotic 10 formula from Walgreens.

My total weight loss was 105 lbs and I am now battling some regain as well (20-25 lbs). My last year was just a stressful mess - mom's health, marriage issues, emotionally shaky, too much work....but overall I consider my maintenance pretty solid and I'd do this again in a minute!

12YearsPostOp
on 7/20/17 4:19 pm

Hi Megan, I'm 12 years post-op and for the last 4 years or so I've had nausea issues and general tummy upset. My Mum suggested trying probiotic yogurt drinks. I started doing them once a day and noticed just a massive improvement in my general gut health. So I'd have to recommend the benefits. I like the quick little live culture yogurt drinks best myself. They were crazy expensive doing one a day from a grocery store, but then I found them at Costco! Hallelujah lol... Dirt cheap ?

12YearsPostOp
on 7/20/17 4:20 pm

Hi Megan, I'm 12 years post-op and for the last 4 years or so I've had nausea issues and general tummy upset. My Mum suggested trying probiotic yogurt drinks. I started doing them once a day and noticed just a massive improvement in my general gut health. So I'd have to recommend the benefits. I like the quick little live culture yogurt drinks best myself. They were crazy expensive doing one a day from a grocery store, but then I found them at Costco! Hallelujah lol... Dirt cheap ?

RnY-Grad
on 10/24/17 2:55 pm

Late posting on this, but here's my 2-cents worth. For five years or so, I've been drinking 6-8 oz. of plain kefir per day. Before I discovered the kefir, I was having serious IBS symptoms (IBS=irritable bowel syndrome). As long as I keep up with the kefir, the IBS is (mostly) gone. I say, "mostly", because it still rears up once or twice a year, but that's doable compared to a couple of times a week.

Most Active
Recent Topics