Please help me!

stephkd
on 1/22/18 4:10 pm - Columbus, OH

I'm 6.5 yrs post-op VSG, and was disgusted that I had gained back half of what I lost. However, since last summer it's been coming off slow and steady (35+ to date). Your doc is on the right track, but for me I had to take it one step further. Sugar is my weakness/trigger/downfall. I ran across an article on the CNN website about a 30-day sugar detox, and that's what did the trick for me. Once I got off sugar, the cravings were gone.

The secret for me was to get off SWEET -- that meant artificial sweeteners as well. No Sweet-n-Low, no Equal, no Stevia, no honey, agave -- doesn't matter if it's "natural" or not (diet soda is probably the worst thing you can drink for weight loss, or health in general). Also, since almost all processed foods contain sugar, I've switched to whole REAL food with minimal processing. Once you've "recalibrated" your pallet without the added sweetness/carbs, you'll find that natural foods taste better and will satisfy. My dessert most nights is an apple with Smuckers Natural PB (1 gram of sugar per serving). The protein in the PB and the fiber in the apple takes care of my cravings.

The article did a pretty good job explaining why (and how) to do that and not go crazy.

Hope this helps.

--Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics