16 months out-bloodwork

csweeney
on 2/5/08 6:43 am - Johnstown, PA
I feel absolutely wonderful and am amazed at how much healthier I am; I haven't had so much as the sniffles this flu season, which I attribute to all of the vitamins and better health in general.  I had my 16-month routine bloodwork a few days ago, so imagine my surprise when I got a call today from my family dr. who said I am deficient in vitamin D.  So they are contacting my surgeon to see if I should add a vitamin D supplement (as of now, I don't take one) and I'm waiting for them to get back to me. Has anyone heard of this?  Is it cause for alarm?

centurycard-2.jpg century card 3 image by clsweeney           

vitalady
on 2/5/08 7:43 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Expectable and preventable. Anyone who is not taking extra can expect this.

The supplement must be dry form D3, and measured in the thousands, not hundreds.

It is cause for alarm, as you are losing bone and teeth while you wait.

Your doc will probably rx the D2 in oil weekly. However, it's pretty close to useless.

lemme know if you want to raise the D level quickly and I'll help you do that.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/08 10:05 am
OK, now I have a question... wonder if you might know...  What might HIGH levels of Vitamin D mean?  Should I look at something else in conjunction with that?

Vitamin D, 1,25-DIHYDROXY

Vitamin D 25-OH, D3

Vitamin D 25-OH, D2

Vitamin D 25-OH

vitalady
on 2/5/08 10:06 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
The D2 and D 1, 25 are not helpful to us. They are what is in the blood right this minute, much like the outfit you wore to the lab. Very transient. They can be way high or way low and change daily.

We can't convert them to D3 and that's all the body recognizes.

The D3 and D 0,25 are the tests to be concerned with and yours are low. They give a more accurate picture of what is in the blood, tissue, bones---what is available for the body to actually USE.

We want the D 25 to be 70-100. And it's possible to PUT it there, but you have to PUT it there. Doesn't happen by accident.

You'll note I didn't ask if you are RNY or DS. Makes no diff. vit D def. is rampant among us, even as pre-ops. The fix is the same.

Oh, and my disclaimer, of course. Not a medical bone in my body, don't pretend there is.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/08 10:30 am
Ah!  Thank you! This helps a lot! :-) OK, I'll add vitamin D to my daily regimen! Angie
vitalady
on 2/5/08 10:37 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
OK, you want my crazy formula? I'll give it to you anyway, and you can freak out appropriately.

100K of dry D3 per day for 30 days (that's two of the 50k)
then 50k a day of it for appx 30 days or until you can test again
if the level is 70-100, stay at 50k a day til you can test again, so 3-6 months. When it goes over 100, then back down to 3 of the 50's per week, test.

You want to be 70-100. After you pu**** up, it takes about 12 seconds to drop it back down. Seriously, it drops like a stone when you pull a few IU out of it per week.

Altho ppl freak about D going toxic, toxic means holding high levels LONG TERM. And just last year, the "top" of the range was 57, now it's 100. So, what exactly IS toxic level? It's only been measurable since the 1970's, so stil experimental.

We already KNOW what low levels do. No bones, no teeth, faster grinding joints, mood, depression and so on.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/08 10:44 am
Wow! I'm semi-freaked out... ;-) So... take it at the same time as the calcium, or does it matter? Angie
vitalady
on 2/5/08 10:47 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
LOL

Well, since I take calcium 4x per day, yeah, it would work best with calcium. If you took two of the 50's, you'd split 'em up.

Remember, I've already paid the price for "what they didn't know then", so I hover over my numbers like a hawk.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/08 10:50 am
Gotcha!  And really REAAAAALLLLLY appreciate you sharing your knowledge! Angie
vitalady
on 2/5/08 10:56 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Soooooo, wanna share some ofyour bone mass while you still have some? I'm kinda lacking in that dept.

But my vit D level is 98! LOL

too late, tho, for my bones.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

Most Active
Recent Topics