Mary *.’s Posts

Mary *.
on 2/20/18 11:48 am, edited 2/20/18 11:50 am
Topic: RE: Need good RNY literate Hematologist in Houston. Suggestions anyone? 11+years out and iron deficient.

Hello:) Looking for a Hematologist good w/ RNY related iron deficiency. Think I need iron infusions. I can no longer tolerate ferrous sulfate in pill form. It is tearing up my stomach. Ferritin has been steady decreasing over the years and is now at 5! I know not good..... So, I am iron deficient but not technically iron deficient anemic. Always very borderline labs. Now also have mental fog, fatigue, ice cold hands and feet, brittle nails and have been diagnosed by neuro and rheumatologist w/ primary Raynaud?s.

I am thinking all probably related to the iron deficiency. Took me a year of visits to get a diagnosis. Need to find a hemotologist that understands the unique issues that come with RNY. I am in Houston. Does anyone know a really good Hematologist.

Mary

Mary *.
on 3/29/11 11:58 am
Topic: RE: RNY 6 YEARS OUT AND HAVE ACID REFLUX!
Hi there. I am 4+ years out and had reflux before my RNY. It went away for about two years following my weight loss but it has been back now for some time. I just wanted to suggest that you go see a Gastroenterologist about your reflux. Your Bariatric surgeon should be able to refer you to someone who is used to dealing with WLS patients. They wil probably want to do an EGD to check your esophagus and pouch.
After my reflux returned, I had an EGD and was dignosed with Barrett's Esophagus. It is a condition where the tissue cells in the esophagus change often related to overexposure to gastric juices (like what occurs in reflux). I now have a follow-up exam every year to make sure there are no changes. Not to scare you, but Barrett's can be a precursor to Esophageal Cancer. I am not implying you have cancer, just that reflux can be very minor or quite major so.... if you have ongoing reflux you should get checked out! 
The reflux could also be caused by an esophageal hernia which may need repair or you may simply need to have ongoing treatment with an appropriate acid reducers. Stomach acid can due serious damage when not treated appropriately and there can be many different causes so please get checked out.

Best wishes and JUST SAY NO to Jalapenos!!!!!!!
Mary

Mary

Most Active
Recent Topics