Surgery abroad because insurance won't pay (booo)

amjm
on 1/3/13 2:21 pm

I have not been able to get approval from my insurance for bariatric surgery and am looking at medical tourism. I was recommended Dr. Valencia with the Baja clinic, and he seems viable but I just want to look at ALL the possibilities in Mexico and Costa Rica perhaps? I am not interested in traveling to an Asian country (i know a few people who have had to stay in the hospitals there with mixed results).

Thank you so much, for your time! I'm 20 years old and have a litany of health issues, I just want to get my life started! I'm 5' 6'' in weigh 280. I'm miserable but have learned a lot about myself being at this weight (like how how to get clothes to look good) and I'm ready to move on and continue my education; I'm even saving up for a puppy. Could really use some input  on where I can goo that's inexpensive when out of pocket! Thanks all!

acbbrown
on 1/4/13 11:36 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Generally, going to Mexico will be cheaper, but when it comes to your life and health, you do NOT want to just go for the cheapest option. This is a huge operation that will change your life forever and can have serious consequence/complications. 

Im not sure where you live or how much research youve done, but I know some people were able to find surgeons in their area that were only slightly higher than some mexico surgeons (and probably equalled out after travel costs, etc)

I did my plastics in mexico and it was a great experience so I'm not at all against mexico - just make sure you choose wisely!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

amjm
on 1/5/13 4:37 am

Thank you so much, it's nice to hear from someone who has had surgery in Mexico! I am not willing to compromise my health for this (or compromise it any further) I have looked in my own state (MI) and have looked in IL and IN and have found nothing less expensive (average cost was about $25k. I've also done significant research on the surgeons I'm looking at, just wanted to see if I could get any more info! Many of the surgeons in Mexico are doing packages where you can have airfare/hotel/medical fees all inclusive; these are certified and reputable surgeons too. At this point I haven't found anyone that can match this price (and is still a good surgeon) in the States or in Mexico. I would rather have the surgery in the States but it seems like I can find equal care in Mexico at a lower price.

I'm assuming that down the line (in a few years) I will need plastics as well, it's reasuring to hear you had it done in Mexico (especially when I know my insurance won't cover it)

Thanks!

Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 444 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2166 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4082 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6644 views