Loose skin at 21

nataliaxrivera
on 8/18/17 11:27 am

I'm 21 years old, 220 lbs. I'm having VSG. I'm looking forward to things like being able to run without serious heart palpitations and not having to take high cholesterol meds. I am worried about loose skin though. Is there anything you can do to avoid it, or is that a stupid question? Does my age play any part of this?

* Nicole *
on 8/22/17 2:32 am

With skin, its all in your genetics on how your skin will "bounce" back. I was 22 when I had surgery, 12 years ago. I had certain areas that returned and tightened up good, others not so much. Thoes areas were also where I carried most of the weight.

So it is a ymmv but no creme, supplement etc etc is going to do anything. Only surgery can get rid of it.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Amber Waddell
on 2/3/18 2:59 pm

Hey girl!

I had my VSG in 2010. I weighed 350 pounds and I was 18 years old. I have lost 200 pounds since surgery. I was definitely left with loose skin. Age definitely doesn't play a role (in my opinion), but I think if you don't weigh as much as I did and you work out as soon as you can it could help with the loose skin.

I'll be talking about this more on my Youtube channel. Feel free to check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi6hsyQ60BiKEbRKHehIDuw

humanfemale
on 2/23/18 1:25 am, edited 2/22/18 10:54 pm

Hi! Extra skin after a major weight loss is a concern that no one is immune to. Others are correct that there is really no way to avoid it, but the amount of extra skin will depend on a lot of factors. You can't avoid all the extra skin, but the best thing you can do is just take care of your skin as much as possible. Because, you may decide one day to have a tummy tuck or some other kind of plastic surgery. A lot of us who have lost a massive amount of weight contemplate the plastic surgeries eventually. What you do have going for you is that you are 220 pounds and young. You have to lose a lot less weight to become healthy and feel good in your body than a lot of people! This should make you very relieved about the future. This means your future plastic surgery IF even necessary (which it may not be) will be less complex, less extensive, which makes it more likely to result in an amazing result. I really hope this eases your worry! Good luck, you'll do great!

Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 444 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2160 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4081 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6642 views