I am 37 with previous abd surgery- RNY or Lapband?

babymamaRN
on 2/1/09 7:52 am
 Hello everyone,
I've been lurking for a while, and now feel I need some feed back. After backing out a year ago, I've finally decided to go forward with WLS. I am 5'4 1/2"  and 243.  I'm having a hard time deciding which surgery to go with though. I met with my surgeon, who steered me to RNY-  but my DH wants me to get the Lapband.  His concerns are around long-term complications and side effects- and i have a some concerns as well.  The other complicating thing is that I had major abd surgery 7 years ago when I was an organ donor to my brother. My surgeon feels pretty confidant he can do a lap procedure, but I'm still worried I'll end up with an open.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
maxs_mom
on 2/2/09 4:08 pm - Auburn, WA
~Namaste~

There's another option available to you.  It's VSG (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy).  Check on the VSG Forum and/or review my profile. One of my earliest blog topics was simply a list of primary source medical research. 

Please make an informed decision that best meets your needs.

Amy

goodnatured
on 2/8/09 11:13 am - chesterfield, MI
I am 34 and weighed 305.  I went with the VSG and had not side effect or complications.  I love my sleeve!

Carrie
TaliTali
on 2/14/09 1:08 pm, edited 2/14/09 1:09 pm - Sammamish, WA
People often think that the band is the best solution because "They can remove it later if needed". But they don't realize is that it's major surgery to remove it. It's also a piece of technology in your body. It can have quite a few complications like slippage. It also requires a lot of followup to get the fills right.

I also want to say that there are several surgeries, don't get sucked into thinking there is *only* the band or the RNY.

The VSG (vertical sleeve gastrectomy)  is an excellent surgery as well as the Duodenal Switch (www.dsfacts.com).

shyababy
on 2/21/09 3:26 am
I can't comment about which surgery to have...its really a personal decision.   Just educate yourself to all the options that are out there.  I know if you do get the lapband, don't think of it as you can just get it taken out.  These surgeries are not meant to be reversed...they are suppose to be a lifelong decision.  Just read read read.  Attend some support groups and see what others are saying.

As for the abdominal surgeries...I have had 4 laproscopic surgeries for endometriosis with and ovary removed in one, 2 c-sections, gall bladder removal, and also a hysterectomy.  I can play connect the dots on my belly!    Looks like a happy face!  Granted there is some scar tissue under there, I was able to have my WLS laproscopically without any problems.  You should be fine.  Of course you will get to sign a paper stating that you are going in for laproscopic, but could turn into open if needed.  and FYI...this surgery was nothing compared to the c-sections and hysterectomy...was comparable to recovery after my gall bladder was taken out...not too bad at all. 

Good luck with whatever your decision is!
heatherv71
on 2/23/09 9:17 am - Manahawkin, NJ
it is totally a decision that you need to make for yourself.  I had a c-section and a myomectomy along with a hernia repair.  My Dr was able to do my band laparoscopically with no problems.  I was also having an ovarian cyst draind which was a story in itself but they ended up removing adhesions from my previous surgeries.  Everything was fine!

marinesangel
on 5/31/09 9:56 pm
I also had abd surgery 15 years ago. I had an open gallbladder removal that left me with an ugly 5-6inch scar down my top adb. My surgeon assured me that he could do the lap rny and I was still nervous. However, he was able to do just that and Ive had no complications. In the end, its your choice on what you want done to your body. Just keep in mind that with the band, you have monthly fills and the band can slip too. So there can be complications no matter what route you go. Research and then search your heart out!!!!

Semper Fi,
Alisa

5'0" ~~ HW 233/SW 226.4/CW 141.4/GW 125 ish

Most Active
Recent Topics