Will I really need to get skin removed after sleeve for losing 130 lbs?

picklesmom
on 5/13/11 12:23 pm
Hi all!
Im in the process of getting approval for either the gastric sleeve or the full bypass (not sure, yet, I was given the choice of either).

Although I would be THRILLED at the thought of being a healthy weight again, is it possible that this fair skinned, Irish girl will need to have excess skin removed?

Is there anything I can do to get my skin in better shape??

Magic Potions? :)

Thanks and hope all are well:)
peachynptc
on 5/13/11 2:21 pm - Fayetteville, GA
I am just a month post op from VSG surgery. I have about the same weight to lose but I don't plan on having any plastics done. I know i will be a little saggy, don't care about swim suits just want to look good in clothes. I've read of someone having a full body lift and that cured me of wanting anythng done. well, if I end up with a turkey waddle I may do something with that.

VSG: 4/11/11 by Dr. Kevin McGill at Buckhead Bariatrics, Atlanta, GA.

Looking for Support Group near Fayetteville/Peachtree City, GA

Renee4joy
on 6/6/11 2:47 am
Hello,
 I have lost most of my weight. I have less than 10lbs to go and trust me you will need to have some skin removed if you have had a significant amount of weight loss. It helps also tp prevent rashes and low self esteem. I have a friend who had her breast implanted because she felt her breast had disappear and were flabby. She was very depressed even though she had lost all the weight. Every one has different views but extra skin is not fun!
Hope this helps

Rachel P.
on 8/2/11 11:55 am
it just depends on you & genetics, my friend lost close to 200 and her skin is nasty! mine is ok but my belly skin is kinda loose & looks worse on some days & some batwings but I figure I had those when they were 'fluffy", my boobs were like tube socks now they're shorter but def saggy, men still love 'em anyway. I've lost 95ish (again depends on the day) and want to lose another 20-30. Some say exercise tightens it up but I haven't noticed a difference with working out, I guess you build muscle tone & that helps fill it out? try biotin for hair & skin and of course your vitamins & loads of water!
Tammie2412
on 9/19/11 11:13 pm - Ocala , FL
My surgeon told me that exercise won't really help. I was thrilled to hear that *note heavy sarcasm* since there's no way I'll be able to afford any plastic surgery after (self) paying $20,350 for surgery! Obviously, since the surgery was an exclusion from my policy, so is the plastic surgery. Buy I can't imagine how I will be anymore miserable than I was at 283 pounds! In the words of the famous Rolling Stones, "You can't always get what you want...but if you try sometimes...you just might find, you get what you need"
If your insurance covers it or you can afford it, I think it's a "wait & see" kind of decision. How much loose skin you have, how do you feel about it, is it worth going through the risk, hassle & pain involved with the surgery? I've lost 70 & still have about 68 to go. I think it's been worth it just for the difference in how I feel now. So, yep, given the choice of the loose skin or the weight, I'll take the loose skin everytime!! However, if I had the option of plastic surgery, I certainly wouldn't rule it out!!

Samantha L.
on 12/2/11 3:53 pm - Petaluma, CA
 This is an old thread, but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth, anyway.

I will be 40 in January and I lost 155 lbs, my skin is a little loose on my tummy and when my butt disappeared, it left the empty skin behind, but I don't really need plastics.  I wouldn't turn them down if someone offered to pay, but I don't have skin that hangs down, really.  It's loose and a little crepe papery on my tummy, but not TOO bad.  Clothing covers it for sure.  I don't have to wear body shapers of any sort.  
 I have a friend, though, that lost about the same amount of weight (maybe 20 lbs more?) and she's MUCH younger than I am (28) and she has horrible hanging skin issues.  

*shrug*  I don't think there is any magic potion.  Once you grow extra skin to cover your large body, you can't "ungrow" it.  You CAN, however, moisturize daily, stay VERY hydrated, take your vitamins, eat well and workout (muscle helps to fill out some of the looseness).   I plan to try body wraps, but I don't actually expect them to do anything other than make me feel good.  =]

picklesmom
on 12/2/11 11:47 pm
Hey everybody!

Thank you so much for your contributions, it really helps a lot! I'm thrilled to read everyone doing so well. Not so thrilled about even the slightest thought of more surgery! From what I gather, it varies from person to person. However, vitamins and lots of water (what now seems to be my nemesis) is crucial.

Well, I'm done with hernias and down 50 lbs. So far so good with extra skin except for the boobs. (Tammie, I LOVE your Rolling Stones quote!!!:)) I'd love to know anymore info you all have on the subject. Or tips for tits? (srry, that's horrid;))

Wishing you all the best and thank you for your time!

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 1/9/12 5:20 am
I had my surgery done when I was 44 and my doc said with my "advanced age" I'd need plastics for sure after losing all my excess weight. Well, I do have a bit of a sag here and there but now
at 53 I don't really care. Lots of exercise-muscle under skin makes it look toned and taught, lots of water - hydrated skin shrinks back easier than dry skin, and love your plateaus. The slower you lose the more your skin has a chance to shrink back. Not everyone needs plastics - it's more a genetic, how fast you lose, age, karma thing. You won't know till you hit goal which group you're in. Good luck.
Jen 10 yrs post op RNY
(deactivated member)
on 3/17/12 11:47 pm - waukesha, WI
This fair skin irish girl needs plastic surgery after 70 lbs lost.  Need about 10 more pds to lose.  Oh, I would say about $80,000 worth.  Every lose skin area has been so worth the weight loss.
Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 264 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 520 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 510 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3567 views