freekent low blood sugar levels

claire G.
on 9/29/11 2:11 am - Canada
in the past 8 months i have been having low blood sugar levels 2.8 and in the low 3 number mark i check myself two hours after each meal and when its  to low i take orange juice or glucose pills.. i do incorporate good 100 % whole grains through my day and balance my meals and measure all of it. its very scary when it happens my heart pounds so hard and i feel like i'm going to pass out. dizzy double vision. I do have an appointment this tuesday so will discuss this matter once again and hopefully they can figure this out. i am meeting with the diatician and the surgeon on the same day.. Has anyone else have gone through this after having gastric bypass its been 2 1/2 years since my surgery and now i'm going through this.. any suggestions anyone.
hondar
on 11/18/11 3:14 am
Hi,

I just accidently replied to a very old post on this subject.

I have never been diabetic, but I was having this problem last month (about 9 months out from RNY).  My  blood sugar fell to 47 and I almost passed out!  My doctor told me to STOP carbs and focus on proteins, which sounded strange to me.  He explained that when you eat carbs your body has to produce more glucose and then it has to fall down....or something like that. 

Bottom line is that it worked for me.  I will still have fruit occaisionally, but no pasta, bread, potatoes, crackers, etc.  No more low blood sugar!

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 1/9/12 5:16 am
Whenever you take orange juice or anything sugared or glucose pills you'll spike and then your body will want to drop you down that much more again. Better to keep your numbers on a more even keel. My doc suggests eating protein every couple hours if needed. If you have an episode, straight protein, but if you're already having symptoms-light headed, dizzy, etc. go for peanut butter crackers. The carb will bump up your blood sugar and the protein in the peanut butter will sustain it. Straight sugar or carbs will make it jump but drop. Any carbs are sugar. YOu may be having whole grain crackers but for us crackers are just sugar. They just take longer to digest and turn into sugar. You might as well have a bite of cookie. Try crackers if you must with protein on top-spreads with meat or seafood, cheese or something so you're not getting the carb effect.
See what works for you. Check diabetic sites for info.
Jen 10 yrs post op Rny
velma001
on 6/2/13 12:25 am - Tustin, CA

Hypoglycemia or low blood sugar is common in diabetics..One is at a risk if you skip or delay your meals..It is important to eat at small intervals,and if it still does not help, please consult your doctor..

Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 263 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 520 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 510 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3565 views