RNY, DS OR SLEEVE

ALPHALUV1
on 11/8/11 3:29 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

HELLO OH FAMILIA,
   I NEED HELP, I AM MEETING WITH MY SURGEON WED AND WE ARE LOOKING AT HAVING MY SURGERY IN THE BEGINNING OF JAN. I AM SOMEWHAT CONFUSED INITIALLY, I STARTED THIS PROCESS WITH HAVING THE LAPBAND AND AFTER THE SEMINAR I DECIDED I WANTED TO HAVE THE RNY. I HAVE BEEN ON OH FOR A FEW MONTHS AND HAVE CONVERSED WITH SO MANY PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALL DONE SO WELL. MY ISSUE IS WHETHER I SHOULD HAVE RNY OR DS. I KNOW THAT BOTH ARE GREAT OPTIONS WHICH IS WHY I AM SO INDECISIVE NOW. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE OR REVIEWS FROM OTHERS WHO HAVE HAD EITHER PROCEDURE. I AM LOOKING FOR SUCCESS RATES, PROS AND CONS AS WELL AS PERSONAL EXPERIENCES. THIS WILL BE VERY BENEFICIAL IN HELPING ME MAKE A DECISION BY WED. THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE FOR TAKING A FEW MOMENTS OF YOUR TIME TO RESPOND.

ROLLING IN THE DEEP

21imblessed
on 11/26/11 2:32 pm - TX
Hi, I don't know if this is too late and you have already decided which surgery to have with your Dr. or not. I do have 2cents to put in for all it's worth. lol   I had the RnY and my only real regret is not doing the DS. Now looking back I think I would have been much happier with it. I have not lost near as much as my friend who had DS has.I also like the types of food that she can eat as opposed to what I have to have. I'm sure you will do great with either one.  Good Luck.
ALPHALUV1
on 11/30/11 11:54 pm - NC
RNY on 03/12/12
Thank you soo much, you are the second person to advise the ds. How much have you lost with the RNY and what was your starting weight? How long has this taken to lose?
Samantha L.
on 12/1/11 6:48 pm, edited 12/1/11 6:48 pm - Petaluma, CA
  I had an RNY and I love it, but I am only 17 months out (and I understand that the hard part is still yet to come).  Had the DS been an option for me, I may have gone with that.  

I started out at 300+ pounds and lost roughly 155.  I have been holding steady at a size 4 for the last six months or so.    

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have based on my limited experience.  

Good luck!!

Mal
on 6/22/12 5:56 am
 If the DS was an option for me, I would have gone that route.  Having said that, I had RNY and it worked for me it is such an awesome tool.  

The things I got rid of:

Insulin dependent Diabetes
High Blood Pressure
High Cholesterol
10 Perscription Medications

Things that I gained:

Energy
Muscle mass
Strength
Health
Some loose skin that I need PS on (I lost 170 lbs. total in 2 years time)
Beng able to run
Being able to go on roller coasters and actually fit
Being able to sit in a lawn chair without worrying about breaking it
Going into a store and being able to buy anything there and have it look good
Additional confidence
Beauty that was there but now is different
Knowing that the 2nd half of my life is going to be fantastic

My advice to you is to talk with your surgeon and ask them their opinion.  Then ask your surgeon if they have a patient you could talk with for a 'referral' if you will.  You are the consumer and need to hear what they have to say.  Good luck with your decision, it is a hard one since its going to be with you for the rest of your life.

Mallisa

Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 261 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 515 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 504 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3557 views