On the 5th pre-op appt... and scared of failure

jonesylaine
on 3/11/12 5:29 am - ID
Hi - New here and going through posts, but thought I would ask the one that is my biggest fear... what if I don't lose weight?  My history is PCOS + hyperthyroid + adrenal fatigue = weight gain.  I've exercised, take metformin, took the saying "eat less and lose weight" too far and had to work with a dietician for several months to learn how to feel hungry and not feel such guilt about eating.  My eating habits are good, all the work with the surgeon's office to practice eating like I'll need to after surgery has been easy since it's what I've been doing for a while.  But my fear is this - if I already restrict my diet, will WLS help?  Planning on VSG since I want to avoid malabsorption (during my not-eating phase, I had some nutritional issues and am afraid it would be very easy to slip into that again) and surgeon feels like it's a good fit with what I've already done.  Surgeon and PA say that everyone worries that they'll be the one who doesn't lose weight... has everyone here lost weight after surgery?
Lucky2talk2
on 3/11/12 9:11 am - Renton, WA
Hello, usually I never go to any forum other than the "over 50 BMI" but came here.

I know that fear of not losing is a totally normal fear! I rarely hear of someone not losing. Generally some deal with stalls more than others but still lose.

Go with advice, weigh pros and cons, and then your decision is the ultimate. Make it work for or with you. No matter what way you go it will be work.

Best wishes for success you are wanting. You should do fine!

Hugs,
Sherrie

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!         SHERRIE <3

peachynptc
on 5/12/12 8:05 pm - Fayetteville, GA
I am a 1 year post op and also a support group leader.
This is what I see:
-one member has lost 30 pounds since WLS nearly 8 months ago
-one member lost 135 lbs. in 7 months
-stalls early out
-I lost most of my weight in 7 months and have stalled for the most part since then
-medication problems, if you take a lot of meds now, please, please ask if it is okay post op to continue them since you have so many problems.

I have people who are so mad post op bc they find out they cannot take certain meds and also are scared. These are valid questions.

I know it has been awhile since you posted this. I don't usually get on OH anymore but had to chime in to tell you what I see.

VSG: 4/11/11 by Dr. Kevin McGill at Buckhead Bariatrics, Atlanta, GA.

Looking for Support Group near Fayetteville/Peachtree City, GA

Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 263 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 520 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 510 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3565 views