double chin

bostonlass
on 6/25/13 3:28 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

Hi,

I'm 47 and will be having the rny in mid-August. There are a few people that I work with who have had this procedure and.........well................their chins have turned into gizzards. (sorry but that's what it looks like!).  Do all people have the double chin to gizzard coversion when they lose weight or is it over a certain age that this happens?  Is there a certain exercise that can prevent this?

JenniPenny
on 8/27/13 6:07 am - MN

Excess skin happens and as we get older the elasticity is not as good as it once was. Many people have a large, round full face when they're at their highest weight and when they lose they get the turkey neck you spoke of. It happens, there are exercises to help it but genetics, how fast you lose, age at time of surgery and a few other things determine if you'll be one of the "turkeys" or not. I have it and it's not great = but I'm down 114 pounds - that makes the gizzard not such a big deal. You can see a plastic surgeon post op and have it removed or tightened up. You won't know until you're a post op if you'll have it. Good luck.

Jen 11+ yrs post op RNY

PetHairMagnet
on 10/20/13 9:42 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On August 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM Pacific Time, JenniPenny wrote:

Excess skin happens and as we get older the elasticity is not as good as it once was. Many people have a large, round full face when they're at their highest weight and when they lose they get the turkey neck you spoke of. It happens, there are exercises to help it but genetics, how fast you lose, age at time of surgery and a few other things determine if you'll be one of the "turkeys" or not. I have it and it's not great = but I'm down 114 pounds - that makes the gizzard not such a big deal. You can see a plastic surgeon post op and have it removed or tightened up. You won't know until you're a post op if you'll have it. Good luck.

Jen 11+ yrs post op RNY

Exactly what she said! I'd much rather be slim with a gizzard than fat with a double chin. Let's face it...a double chin is pretty icky!

I will hopefully hit my goal weight by Feb/Mar of next year and then 6 months later I will see a PS about a modified lift, but if the price or the description of the work have that be a 'no', then I will live with it, happily!

My batwings, on the other hand, they are GOING if I have to take money from my 401K to do it!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 263 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 520 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 510 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3565 views