Can anyone out there answer any questions about sleep apnea?

bellasmom1103
on 5/21/09 2:22 am - Philadelphia, PA
I was wondering if anyone out there with sleep apnea can tell me what some of the less common symptoms are?  I've had the following symptoms and it just occurred to me that it may possibly be sleep apnea: fatigue, neck aches & tension, sinus pressure, sore dry eyes, slight dizziness, dull headaches, sensitivity to light and sound, and anxiety (which came about because of the physical stuff).  All of these things just came on me out of the blue.  I have had several blood tests, had my eyes, ears & sinuses checked, had an EKG, and an MRI of my brain and everything is fine.  Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone with sleep apnea has experienced any of these symptoms and if they got better or disappeared with treatment and/or WLS.  I am going to have a sleep study, it is just not scheduled yet. 
ejjy
on 5/21/09 2:43 am - Watertown, MA
i have obstructive and central sleep apnea.  the symptoms you are describing sound like they could be related to apnea, but the only way to know for sure is to get a sleep study done.  the problem is they are also symptoms about about a billion other things.  Thyroid problems leap to mind as well.  have you ever had someone tell you you snore?  that's a big indicator ( but again only sleep study will tell for sure ).  I am SO glad i had one done finally - no more guesswork.  "unrefreshing sleep' is another charactertistic symptom - i wake up feeling exhausted - usually worse on the mornings i wake up with a stiff neck and a splitting headache (brings on migraines).
MajorMom
on 5/21/09 2:46 am - VA
When you had the blood tests, did they check your B vitamins? I want to say Thiamine (B-6 or maybe B-1) deficiency might show symptoms as you describe. 
I had sleep apnea and the only symptom I had was a little fatigue. I would wake up every half hour or so. I was off the CPAP machine within the first month after WLS.
Gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

bellasmom1103
on 5/21/09 4:42 am - Philadelphia, PA
I have had my thyroid checked as well as all my vitamin levels.  My thyroid is fine and I have to take extra vitamin D and iron, but other than that everything checks out.
Amelie722
on 5/21/09 9:58 am - KY
Sleep apnea for four years prior to my RNY.....6 months post-op was off the machine totally.  My pressure was lowered after RNY because it made my pouch upset in the mornings.  Anyhow your symptoms matched some of the ones I had prior to my diagnosis.  Glad you are getting tested soon.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views