Gallstones...Ugh

Band_Groupie
on 3/4/10 8:52 pm
Morning all!  I've been 'lurking/replying' a lot as I'd had nothing to post lately.

I was having some sharp right flank/lower right abdominal pains (not the usual GB pain and I had been having constipation problems so I thought it was that).  Went to my PCP  and she sent me for bloodwork (fine) and an ultrasound...'you have a mess of stones in there'...lovely (none in the bile duct).  I've been feeling fine now.  If I have no pain now, is it likely to start again?   Anyone have stones and not have to get their gallbladder out or am I looking at another surgery?  Couldn't these stones have been there for a long time already (I'm a long time yo-yoer)? 

This seems SO common after WLS.  Off to the PCP this morning and I made an appointment with my surgeon just in case (3 weeks is the earliest I can get in with him).  Thanks all...and have a great weekend!

Band_Groupie  My Blog "The Sweet Spot" HERE
Proud member of the Century Club...100+ pounds gone forever! 
I'm now in the middle of a Normal BMI.
*My new adventure; At the suggestion and support of many LBers, I'm now writing a LB book.

BridgetJones
on 3/4/10 10:03 pm - Belle Vernon, PA
I had a buncha stones and had to get the gallbladder out in my 20's. I always felt a pain in my back similar to my bra being too tight or bugging me. Then I got fart-burps. It was nasty. I was happy to have the little critter gone actually. I did make it a year between diagnosis and removal by eating NO fat. Lost a lot of weight but in the end, removing it was the best move. I had some pretty BIG ones in there too that were in there for a while before they started bothering me.

I guess I am just a stony person since I also have had over 40 kidney stones as well!

Bridget

5'5"   SW - 208  GW1 - 138  GW2 - 108 Lowest W - 108  CW - 158.5

Seeking revision from RNY to DS due to extreme hypoglycemia

Original surgery June 24, 2009        

Jody ***
on 3/4/10 10:29 pm - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
I had my gallbladder out in '92 after I did Optifast.  They said that was a side effect of the program.  I know its common with WLS too....

I had stones that WERE getting caught up in the duct - that was PAINFUL!  Honestly, I think its just a matter of time before it happens to you.  They could probably sit there for awhile more but...

Getting it out was not a big issue. laprascopically and I was fine in a few days.  I could have easily went back to work after 2-3 days. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

bikerchickk
on 3/5/10 12:26 am - Sequim, WA
You are lucky you have not had a gall bladder attack. It is worse than any pain I have ever had in my life! I had mine removed in 1990. I had 3 attacks and told them to take the damn thing out. I did not even have a weight problem back then! Good luck.

Height 5'6"  HW 263 SW 239 LW 142 From size 20/22 to size 5/6   

At 4 years out I crept back up to 180 now working my way back down. CW 173 size 10

lerkhart
on 3/5/10 12:57 am
I had problems from the time I was 18 or 19 up until I had it out when I was 40.  I did NutriSystem and the pain would not stop.  Usually mine would come and go every several months and never got unbearable until after the NutriSystem.  I had a lot of different symptoms with mine. Sometimes naseau, sometimes severe back pain, sometimes pain in right front.
Good luck with your appointments.  Keep us posted.
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
rainlady
on 3/5/10 1:37 am
I had only one gallbladder attack after Opti-fast and it was a doosy.  In 1990 I had terrible pain in my side, was hospitalized and two days later diagnosed with severe gall bladder issues.  They couldn't even take it out lap, so I have a huge scar.  It was actually dissintigrated (sp) by the time they removed it.  Ugly experience.  Get it out sooner rather than later when it might be worse.

Sharon

Band_Groupie
on 3/5/10 2:53 am
Back from the PCP.  Yep, I'm 'stoned' LOL.   She wants me to go to the surgeon, so I'm guessing any surgeon will say 'get it out'.  Apparently the terrible pain I thought was from the laxative I took was actually a GB attack.  Don't want to be doing that one again as the pain came in waves like childbirth contractions and I was doing my lamaze breathing as I was doubled over.  I'll let you know once I get into the surgeon in a few week (no fat for me!).  Thanks all!

Band_Groupie  My Blog "The Sweet Spot" HERE
Proud member of the Century Club...100+ pounds gone forever! 
I'm now in the middle of a Normal BMI.
*My new adventure; At the suggestion and support of many LBers, I'm now writing a LB book.

Dawn H.
on 3/5/10 6:40 am - Nappanee, IN
I think my gall bladder attack is some of the worse pain I was ever in in my life!  I am sorry you had to experience it.  You will feel better when you get that bad boy out!  Good Luck, keep us posted.

Dawn

Dawn H LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatHW 232/ SW 210/ CW 122/ GW 125   HT 5'1"  

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 470 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views