i know i have everyone thinking but how about .......

browneyedDeeva
on 7/25/10 12:31 am - NY
RNY on 05/03/13 with
the weight charts? why are they different from one another ? according to weigh****chers, small med and large frame has much lower numbers than the one that Danielle just sent i like hers better lol her numbers for me is between 140-154 where as ww is 117 to 146
also i always thought that there should be a weight loss chart for people that work out people like us is going to have much heavier muscles than one that does not so in all reality , should we weight a lil more ? feeeeeed backkkkkkkkkkk lololol

see ya lighter,

Toni                         

southernlady5464
on 7/25/10 1:33 am
Actually the height/weight charts are not a good way to find your ideal weight. The one used most is based on the Met Life chart updated in 1979 and is outdated, see this page as to what the issues are.

The NIH recommends this method:
Two simple measures, body mass index (BMI) and waist circumference, provide useful estimates of overweight, obesity, and body fat distribution.

You can also find your weight group on the chart below. The chart applies to all adults. The higher weights in the healthy range apply to people with more muscle and bone, such as men. Even within the healthy range, weight gain could increase your risk for health problems.

Because BMI does not show the difference between fat and muscle, it does not always accurately predict when weight could lead to health problems. For example, someone with a lot of muscle (such as a body builder) may have a BMI in the overweight or obese range, but still be healthy and have little risk of developing diabetes or having a heart attack.

http://www.win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/tools/bmi-chart.jpg

That should answer our question.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

NursieGirl
on 7/25/10 2:24 am
Liz is right.  BMI charts are a general guideline.... very very general.  The best way to find a healthy weight is by measuring other factors, like fat percentage, fitness, waist to hip measurements... those kinds of things.  But BMI charts are easy to find and fun to look at!

southernlady5464
on 7/25/10 2:33 am
A good example is the current govenor of CA. According to Wikipedia, he is 6'2" and weighs 250. His bodybuilding weight was 240. By that chart above he is obese but while competeing, no one would dare have suggested he was obese. BUT if you looked at just his height/weight, a person would assume he is.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

laurak712
on 7/25/10 6:52 am - New Braunfels, TX
I do agree with you on the exercise thing.  I'm 5'7 and have a small frame (wrist is 5-3/4").  I weigh 143/144.   BUT, I've been bodybuilding for 11 years and lift very heavy weights.  So I don't see how I can lose any more scale weight.  I'm  already pretty small with 38" hips and a 27" waist.  I went to see 2 plastic surgeons and both told me to STOP losing now.  They believe that my body fat is in the 18% range.  Also, weight lifting increases bone density and that's gonna add some weight too.  I just had my bone density DEXA scan run and I am above average for a 47 year old woman.  So the lifting is paying off.  Also my personal trainer who is a professional bodybuilder is 5'9 and weighs in at 190.  I can tell you that he is no more than 8% body fat.  But on a BMI chart he'd be obese. 

Laura

Height 5' 7

shendricks
on 7/25/10 1:19 pm - Wolf Point, Mt
Remember men can have lower fat indexs because they have/ require lower levels of estrogen which is stored in fat.  LOL that is why women have more body fat.  We also have more hormone related problems with extremely low body fats.  Men can have similar issues but the problems don't occur until they reach my lower index levels.

Sharon

browneyedDeeva
on 7/25/10 1:26 pm - NY
RNY on 05/03/13 with
yepppppp,
i agree . i too have been lifting weights for a very long time had the bone density test came back great
ill be 51 in sept. how heavy do you lift? im good at 10 pds sometimes 12.50 free dumbells the machines 40 pds wahooooooo

see ya lighter,

Toni                         

laurak712
on 7/26/10 3:10 am - New Braunfels, TX

Well, when I say heavy, I mean heavy.  For dumbells I do bicep curls with 25's or even 30's.  My squat with a barbell is 185 so I lift very heavy.  I've been doing it for over 11 years so I'm quite strong.  I rarely use a dumbell under 20 lbs.  I can bench press 115 on barbell.  I absolutely love weight lifting.  I'm hoping to go heavier yet!

Laura

Height 5' 7

NursieGirl
on 7/25/10 7:14 am
I don't like that site!  It said I could weigh as little as 114.  I can tell you right now that even emaciated, anorexic and in the hospital, I weighed more than that

Laurie_09
on 7/25/10 11:02 am
Weight charts come from insurance companies and we all know nothing good ever comes from insurance companies! lol

Laurie 
LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
HW-247/SW-245/GW-140/CW-126.4

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 470 views
Still kickin'...