Stuck in the Bed!

emrtrainer
on 7/26/10 12:34 am - Inwood, WV
Just when you think that you are doing OK,  you realize ... you have a long way to go.  When I woke up this morning, I was lying on my stomach -- guess I got there sometime during the night.  Decided I needed to get up and go to the bathroom and tried to turn over and gues what?  It just was not happening! Every way I tried to turned caused lots of pain in my tummy muscles or whats left of them.  I tried for what seemed like forever probably 5 minutes then ended up callin for my DH who was getting ready in the bathroom for help.  He was able to turn me completely from my stomach to my back, but boy did it hurt!! Then he helped me sit up. 

Remider to self: stay off stomach, not worth the good sleep I god last night!  Guess this is just one more time when I will be able to laugh about this as the months pass, right now it is just a great big reminder that I am healing and the process is far from complete.  Thought this might give you a smile for Monday.  Have a great day!!

MajorMom
on 7/26/10 1:14 am - VA
You must be a heavy sleeper then.  I'd wake every time I twitched. Finally at 2 weeks or so post-op I could sort of sleep on my tummy but the side was better. THEN after I lost weight, it hurt to sleep on my side because my knee**** together and hurt. lol

Keep that DH around he might have to get you out of other sticky situations.  

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

peyton88
on 7/26/10 3:20 am - Madison, GA
Wow!  That's strange!   I always go to sleep on my stomach but wake up on my back.  Falling asleep on my back hasn't been easy but it's happening.  I've also been able to get slightly on my side with help from pillows.

My husband used to snore when he was on his stomach so he wore a t-shirt with a chest pocket.  We put a tennis ball in the pocket and every time he flipped on his stomach he would wake up cause of the tennis ball.

Hope you feel better and it doesn't happen again!!
  HW/SW/CW/Goal.....219  / 206 /  122 / 130

southernlady5464
on 7/26/10 7:24 am
Glad you dh was there to help. 

I use to sleep on my stomach. Had back surgery in 2006, haven't slept on my stomach since. It causes an arch in my back that makes it hurt. Right after surgery, I spent 12 weeks sleeping in a back brace. They taught us to roll out of bed not left up. But honest to goodness, I resembled a turtle turned over with it's feet in the air. 

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

hollykim
on 7/26/10 9:46 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Reminds me of the time way post op that I was housesitting for someone whop only had water beds in the house. I got in one and got to sleep only to wake up later having a hot flash  and needing to go to the bathroom.

I tried to get up and the more I tried the further I sank and bobbled around in the waves. I began to get panicky ans was about to wet myself. thought to myself...dH is gonna wonder why I haven't called all day and soon he will come over to find out what is wrong and he will find me laying here in pee and nothing else on(I don't like pj's). I knew he would never let me live it down so I renewed my effort to get out.

I finally got my ankle hooked over the side of the wooden frame and keep pulling myself closer to the edge till I could get enough weight over the side for gravity to make me fall out. I will never get in a waterbed again!
Holly

fitby40something
on 7/26/10 10:31 am - Southeast, MO
  Sorry, I had to laugh.  I'm pretty sure we've all been in an equally embarrassing  situation at some point.  Thanks for sharing.  I needed a chuckle.

Julie   Extended Abdominalplasty & Breast Lift 6/22/11

fitby40something  HW 240/CONSULT 238/SW 225/CW 170/GW 138
"Get busy living or get busy dying."  --Shawshank Redemption

fitby40something
on 7/26/10 10:46 am - Southeast, MO
Now you've got me thinking Lori.  I'm trying to remember.  I think I originally thought I'd be stuck sleeping in the recliner, but I think I made it to the bed the first night.  But I do specifically remember I definitely had to roll to my side, throw my legs over the side of the bed and try to sit up sideways.  Yep...its all coming back to me...looked sort of like a circus side show.

I sleep on my left side usually but had to switch it up since that's the side where my main incision was.  So I did a modified side/back/back position.   I was sort of on my side but used a big body pillow behind my back or in front of my stomach depending which way I wanted to lay.  So I was at more of a 45 degree angle.  If you are normally a stomach sleeper, the pillow will keep you from going totally flat on your tummy or vice versa if you are a back sleeper.  The body pillow really helped me.

Every day will get better and in the mean time hang in there.  You have the right attitude.

Julie   Extended Abdominalplasty & Breast Lift 6/22/11

fitby40something  HW 240/CONSULT 238/SW 225/CW 170/GW 138
"Get busy living or get busy dying."  --Shawshank Redemption

Roz !!!!
on 7/26/10 10:56 am - Butler, PA
Thanks for the chuckle!!!

I used a stool to get into bed and my DH pulled me out of bed every morning because it just hurt to bad to crawl out myself. 

Gina's right about sleeping on your side after you get close to goal.  I'm was a  side sleeper, but my knees rub  together and I just can't get comfortable so after about 5 minutes I have to move to my side.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

rbb825
on 7/26/10 3:29 pm - Suffern, NY
I had to sleep on my back for about 3 weeks which was pure torture since I have a bad back.  I couldnt' even get on my side for 3 weeks, I never could have gotten on my stomach.

italianspice
on 7/27/10 12:21 pm - Eastlake, OH
Thanks for the chuckle!
Glad DH was there to help out!
I guess I will be sleeping on my back postop!

Maria
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views