Serious hair advise needed..what would you do? **pic**

Melissa1965
on 7/28/10 10:59 pm
You lose all this weight and then BAM! Something else blows a gaping hole in your self esteem.

I've always been suseptable to subaceous cysts. I have quite a few on my head, about 7 total. All of them are covered by hair and have never been a problem, except now. I have one smack dab in the middle front of my head. So a few months ago I started to part my hair on the side to do a comb over. About 12 years or so ago I had one in the same exact place and had it removed by a dermatologist. It wasn't as large as the one now. Yes, it grew back witha vegence, took 10-12 years. I can't even part my hair down the middle anymore because the cyst has no hair on it and it's this huge scary lump you can see very well. Well, combing over doesn't work very well anymore. If there's a breeze or my hair falls just right..there it is. yuck. I find myself walking in public and often holding my hand on the top of my head to not allow anyone to see it if my hair moves.

A few days ago I seen a dermatologist. Waited a month and 1/2 for an appt. He looks at it and says he would rather leave it and not remove it. He said removing it can possibly be more traumatic for me. He said most likely it grew back because the whole "capsule" was not removed. He said he would have to shave my head all around it, about a 6X6 square of hair. My hair is long right now. He said it may even grow back. I would have a huge scar and possibly a bald spot. I often thought I would rather have a flat bald spot than a nasty cyst bald spot.  And have that nasty shaved spot until my hair grew back....with the long hair all around it.

So here's my dilemma. Should I confront him and say remove it and deal with the after affects....or become the crazy lady that has 100 different hats and hair scarves...or have it removed and shave my head and wear wigs? If I remove it I would have to most likely shave my head all around because all this long hair and a patch of shaved head would be too much or me. It would take too long to grow back again.

It's very noticible right now. Yesterday I walked out of the house with my daughter and she did the "pat herself on top of the head" to quietly tell me it was showing. It grosses her out. I don't blame her.

So anyone have words of wisdom? This thing is really taking a toll on how I feel about myself. Yesterday I was quite depressed over it.

Here is the cyst.
cyst.jpg picture by madele
HW 268/SW 255/CW 150/GW 160
Jane W.
on 7/28/10 11:33 pm - Southaven, MS
I am unable to view your picture for some reason...He is correct...these cysts are very difficult to get rid of and can lead to a lot of scaring.  You might consult a plastic surgeon.  I know I had a place on my cheek that started growing, it got to be about 7mm in size.  I was afraid it might be a skin cancer.  Went to dermatologist who did a punch biopsy, which removed the whole thing, now I have a 10mm crater in my cheek....!!!

Tough decision, not sure what I would do.  Big scar vs cyst, tough choice.  I'm sure that I didn't help much. LOL, but I wanted you to know I hear ya.  Best of luck with your decision.

Jane
5'6"    
Jody ***
on 7/29/10 12:06 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Melissa - I can't see your pic either, but about 17 years ago I had a cyst on my forehead right at my hairline.  Not sure if it was the same kind, but it was painful - seems I kept hitting it on things (funny how you don't realize how often you bump yourself).  Usually on the cupboard door, etc.  I had it removed and theres a teeny tiny little scar.  The Drs told me they didn't know if they would get it all and it might grow back, but it hasn't - yet.

I don't see why your hair wouldn't grow back (especially in the shaved locations).  You may need to think about a different hairstyle that "poofs" a little to give some volume to hide it (if you get it taken off). 

I agree with Jane - you may want to see a PS to get their take on it.

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Lee ~
on 7/29/10 12:16 am - CA
Melissa,  I'm so sorry this is happening to you, particularly at a time when you're feeling so awesome about your physical success.  I hate that you have to think about this.

Yesterday, during my lunchtime walk, my walking partner wanted to go into the wig shop.  I was amazed at how cute and sassy the wigs are these days.  If I lose more hair, I'm going back to try some on.

I think the most important thing is two part.  1. your physical health with the cyst and 2. how you feel about it.

My hairdresser told me about colored powder that I could put into my hair to dust on my scalp if I lose a lot more so that my scalp would not be showing.  With your gorgeous dark hair, I bet that might work for you to cover the cyst.

Let us know what you decide and definitely come here to process your thoughts while you're in the decision making process.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

lerkhart
on 7/29/10 12:20 am
Melissa,
I'm with the others that you might want to see a plastic surgeon to see if they could offer other suggestions.

If you didn't want to do that, could you get it cut shorter and maybe get a permanent to make it shorter and curly all over where it would not really have a part.    You could pull your bangs back with a barrett to hold it in place.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Shannon D.
on 7/29/10 12:22 am
I can see the picture. My best advice would be to pull the sides of your hair up, what most call a "half ponytail. Use a small claw clip or barette or hair rubberband. Then the long sides would be covering the top.

5'0"   HW-214   SW-186  GW-115  CW-96-99 
  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

dogwoodflwr
on 7/29/10 12:42 am - Wethersfield, CT
 Please go to a Plastic surgeon they are trained  to remove things like this.  A dermatologist  is trained in skin condition not how to remove them.  A Plastic surgeon can probably remove this with having shave a lot of hair off. Also if you don't remove it it will continue to grow and get bigger.
Melissa1965
on 7/29/10 12:44 am
I have an HMO and I don't think they would cover a PS. I need autho's on everything I do outside seeing my PCP.
HW 268/SW 255/CW 150/GW 160
Dee08
on 7/29/10 2:03 am
VSG on 09/01/08 with
I would keep your hairstyle the way it is and get a wiglet to cover just the top of your hair.  It would cover the cyst and be a lot cooler than a wig.  You can match a wiglet to the color of your hair and no one would even notice plus no more worry about the wind.  I ordered mine on line from Paula Young wigs.  She has several wiglet styles and has a great return policy in case it did not match correctly or you changed your mind. 

Whether or not you have the cyst removed is something you will have to decide for yourself. 

Blessings......Dee
                  5'1"  Age 62   Goal weight between 128 - 135  
Shellie731
on 7/29/10 2:38 am
Oh, Melissa!  I'm so sorry this is happening to you!  I agree with the others that a plastic surgeon might be the best person to remove this, but I understand with an hmo you don't always have that choice. 
That being said, I know if it were me I'd want that puppy removed-scar or not.  One of the previous posters mentioned a wiglet-I'd certainly look into that.  One of the options I was looking into when I was pre-op and worried about losing my hair was called Hair Magic by Revlon.  I liked it because you integrated your own hair with it.  http://www.beautytrends.com/wigs/revlon/hair+magic/

Something else that might help if you go ahead and have it removed and do end up with a scar is this: http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params. CM_SCID.coll.item.A78804.desc.Joan-Rivers-Beauty-Great-Hair- Day-R-Fill-In-Powder-wBrush

I used this stuff even before surgery and it is very effective for covering thinning areas.

Sending you big hugs.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views