New to the Lightweight Board

cait_8901
on 7/30/10 1:45 am
Hello Lightweights!

After reading the Lightweight Creed, I feel like I belong here on this board.  I'm having issues with my upcoming surgery, mainly with other people.  It's so true, that after various attempts with exercising and dieting, I'm weight-loss resistant!  My metabolism is buhhh-ro-ken.  No doubt.  I was reviewing my weight history: 150ish around age 20, 200ish around age 30, and now ten years later, I have steadily yo-yo'ed my way up to (as high as) 267 (CW 255-BMI 41).

I wish I didn't feel so embarrased about getting surgery.  I wish people didn't react the way they do - with utter surprise that I would do something so extreme.  I wish I didn't have to justify all the things I've tried - to convince you that I have tried "hard enough".   I've seen B&A pics and read the profiles of plenty of people my size and smaller.  

I'd like to say those people:

Please don't respond to my decision to have surgery with more diet tips.  After much, much contemplation and research, I've already decided to have the surgery.  Please don't tell me how so-and-so from wherever lost an ungodly amount of weight the old fashioned way.  Please don't tell me that losing weight is actually very simple: it's all about calories in and calories out, or that it's all about exercise. 

I will still have to work hard - harder than anything I've ever done in my life - to lose the weight and make a serious commitment to a new way of treating my body.  The surgery is a tool - which I intend to take full advantage of. 

Tell me I look great if you think it.  Tell me I'm beautiful if you believe it.  Ask me about the hard work.   But please, don't judge my decision.  It's what I believe is right for me, my family, and my future. 

~Cathie's Stats: RNY August 16, 2010~~~Height: 5'6" SW-254 GW-150~~~~

NursieGirl
on 7/30/10 1:51 am
Welcome to the boards!  It sounds to me like you have a great attitude about your upcoming surgery.  I didn't even tell people who I thought would not be supportive.  Those people who love me may not agree with my decision, but recognize that it's my body and my choice to make.

Best of luck and keep us updated!

Roz !!!!
on 7/30/10 2:04 am - Butler, PA
Welcome!!!   Do you have the date for when your new exciting life is going to begin???

I didn't tell anyone but my hubby and my daughters about my surgery until about the week before.  I didn't want to hear all of the "I can't believe it's, "you don't have that much to lose", and "so and so gained all of her weight back"  stories for the 6 months that I was preparing for my surgery.  After I told a few people, I was so glad I waited until close to my surgery date.  One week of it was plenty!!!

Now, I like to tell everyone I had surgery!  I want to be the success story others can share and gossip about.  I wish I could tell every heavy person I see on the street that it isn't the easy way out, but it is definitely a life changing opportunity. 

I figure that everyone probably talked about me behind my back just because I was fat, so what matters if they are talking about me having surgery.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

chris_ruff
on 7/30/10 2:17 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with
hi there and welcome to the LW's! this is the best board, imho, and filled with wonderful and supportive gals (and maybe a few guys).

as for other people's remarks, we all know what they say about opinions, right?

i hope to see you around!

ps: and check out Roz's daily Menus and Miles thread, it's a great accountability tool.
--Christina
lerkhart
on 7/30/10 2:18 am
Hi and welcome.
I told everyone about my surgery and still do.  I had a lot of people say I was not big enough.  They didn't have to carry this around all day - I did or manage the co-morbidities.  One of my favorites was if I would just push away from the table I could lose weight!! 

Good luck to you and be sure to keep us posted on your progress. 

You don't have long to wait.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
BrowningBabe
on 7/30/10 2:33 am - Pleasant Prairie, WI
Welcome to the Light Weights board!  I totally know where you're coming from.  My story is alot like yours.  I broke my metabolism over a 20 year period through yo yo dieting and multiple weight losses and gains. One day I realized it would take an act of God...or WLS...to get this weight off.  The years of abuse I put my body through had finally caught up with me.

I also had some people try to talk me out of having surgery. I had one of my co-workers (a RN) tell me  how she's had patients of hers in the past die from deficiencies, etc.  Even those in the medical field can still be ignorant.  She hasn't said too much about my weight loss but if I look tired, she sure mentions that!  I think she's almost hoping my labs will go to crap so she can say "I told you so".   Unfortunately she won't get that opportunity.

Good luck to you on your journey and welcome! 

Christine

5'4"  HW235/SW226.5/CW147.5/GL130

Happy_Camper
on 7/30/10 2:47 am
Welcome to the LW board!  Congrats on your surgery date.  Best of luck on your journey. Cindy

Surgery March 2, 2010 -  5' 9"  -   HW 278 /  SW 260 /  CW 139 / GW 150

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat                         

MajorMom
on 7/30/10 3:08 am - VA
Welcome aboard! Glad to have you here.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Shannon D.
on 7/30/10 4:16 am
Welcome! Glad you're here!

5'0"   HW-214   SW-186  GW-115  CW-96-99 
  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

fordrachel
on 7/30/10 4:46 am - memphis, TN
 Hello, and welcome... I am still a NEWBIE myself... I joined this forum about a couple months ago, and was welcomed with OPEN ARMS!!!  If there is any info I may need, or question I want to ask about WLS, I get all my info right here!!!   I am going through the same thing with people around me, therefore I have not told anyone but a close sister, and my BFF of this decision.  When I started my BMI was like 38,  but I thought about it, and I felt that I was toooooo close to that 40 BMI mark to have my insurance turn me away, so after lots of vacationing, and lots of foods I used to RESTRICT by being on pills such as, Adipex and Phentermine, and weigh****chers, I kinda let myself be TREATED, and I gained 11.5  lbs, which has put at exactly a 40 BMI, and also was diagnosed with SLEEP APNEA. I am only about 5 feet tall... so that put me at 204, which is MORBID OBESE, (that sounds sooo cruel).  I have been told I must carry the weight well, because I am still in size 12-14 clothes!  But thats a lot of weight for such a small frame.  So, I am in the "WAITING ON INSURANCE APPROVAL", phase.... But, I am also considered to be a SMALL FRY when it comes to a lot of other family members, and friends, who have also told me to just "PUSH AWAY FROM THE TABLE"..... {really... well, why have that NOT worked for any of them} hmmmmmm..... I have been told many times, to just start exercising...I do, and I had a personal trainer for a while too, but Hubby fired him, because he thought the trainer was looking at me inappropriately???  My husband is very supportive of whatever road I take, but I choose NOT to tell him until I get an approval, he gets real jittery when there is even talk of surgery of any kind on his wife, he was like that with the 2 c-sections I had too... he knows I'm pursuing it, but he don't know all the paperwork is being processed, just without an approval.   I say... "GO FOR IT, and if they don't like it, tell them to "KICK ROCKS"!!!!  We will be on that losing bench SOON!!!! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 473 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views