Fitness Challenge - August 1st

Lee ~
on 8/1/10 5:32 am - CA
Haha... did you think I'd forget?

We're welcoming in a new month.  What are your intentions for the month?  What do you hope to accomplish?

And what the heck are you doing today? 

I can't believe it's August already.  It's still cold here.  I was wearing a sweat suit to go shopping this morning.  That said, the cooler days are perfect for exercise!

This month my intention is to continue to exercise for a minimum of 60 minutes a day, hopefully longer.  The weather should still be great for a 30 minute walk at lunchtime all month.

What I'd like to accomplish is getting comfortable on different machines in my gym.  I'm currently on the treadmill and recumbent bike.  Yesterday I did 5 minutes on the Eliptical and wanted to cry.  So I'd like to get strong on that machine and add in the rowing machine this month.

Today:  I'm having a playday!  Zach and I are taking the subway over to San Francisco to play.  The hills are great and work different muscles than I use walking the flat lake.  So exercise will be an afternoon of walking the Hills of San Francisco.

What are you doing?  And please don't think that #7 is enough!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

MajorMom
on 8/1/10 6:35 am - VA
Well, #7 was about all I had in mind for today. lol  We're cooking out this afternoon and I've made a low carb cheesecake and the shrimp are in the marinade. I have to wrap them each in a slice of prosciutto and skewer the little suckers for grilling. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Lee ~
on 8/1/10 1:49 pm - CA
Gina, nobody likes a braggart and you're probably just saying #7 because you know I'm single and currently living with my 36 year old son. 

Now on the other hand, if you'd invite me over for cheesecake, all would be forgiven. 

MajorMom
on 8/1/10 6:59 pm - VA
Next time your son comes back to DC, come with him! I'll serve up some low carb cheesecake, babee!

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Lee ~
on 8/1/10 11:38 pm - CA
Thanks Gina!

My brother lives in Fairfax, so I get there occasionally.  When I'm on the East Coast, it's generally NYC as my son is at NYU and I love to visit him there.

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/10 9:27 am
Well,I signed up for a 2 yr gym membership,start tomorrow -i have had a knee replacement and i am starting off in the pool exercises. I want to strenghthen my body and I intend to try everything justnot all at once! I have been walking regularly for the last couple months and now feel confident enough to join the gym rats! I love the Lightweights board,thanks for all the encouragement and good tips from all.
Brenda
Lee ~
on 8/2/10 11:14 am - CA
Hi Brenda!

Congratulations on making a 2 year commitment to better health.  I really applaud you for that.  Please keep checking in here with the fitness challenge to let us know how it's going for you.

PlicketyCat
on 8/2/10 8:56 pm - Kenmore, WA
You all will probably hate me, but...

Doing today: hauling and chipping all the trees from the last 1/4 acre we cleared to build our cabin... the brushpile is about 20 feet wide and taller than I am.  If it's not too hot and I still have any energy left, I might rake all the resulting mulch out.

Plans for August: (weather cooperating) finally putting down the chainsaw, brushcutter, and pickaxe and actually get working on the cabin. So that's probably, dunno, 6-8 hours a day shoveling gravel, hauling and mixing concrete, lugging around stacks of lumber and shingles; and endless hours of sawing and hammering. Of course DH is helping and is my "Mongo" for the really heavy stuff. And none of that includes the regular chores like toting 6 gallon water jugs, 40# fuel tanks, and splitting/stacking firewood.

Hehe- so, do I win?!  

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde
Lee ~
on 8/2/10 11:16 pm - CA
Congratulations on great physical labor!  Of course you can win.  Nobody has ever asked that question before. We all challenge ourselves to more activity, rather than challenging each other.

How cool that you're building a cabin.  Your post takes me back 36 years to when I lived in a cabin with my son.  I hauled the water from the spring, planted a one acre organic garden to "put up" all of our food for the winter.  Cooking was done on a wood cookstove because there was no other type of stove.  Baths were Saturday night in the aluminum bathtub, after heating water on the stove.  I did a lot of wood chopping and splitting.  I have a great picture of me at the wood block, chopping wood the day my son was born.   Those were the days, hiking out to the outhouse when it was below zero, having to push the cows aside to get the door open.  They always liked to lean on the outhouse for some strange reason.

You have great plans for August.  I'd love to see pictures of your cabin as you get to working on it.  You're going to be incredibly fit at the end of this process you've begun.  Many many kudos to you!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 474 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views