Good Morning. Playtime with the baby NUT

MajorMom
on 8/3/10 8:21 pm - VA
We had a nice support group last night. We tasted several of our baby NUT's no fat protein concoctions and some RTD protein shakes she picked up at GNC. I think we were her Guinea pigs for what she thinks she should recommend to her new patients. She took some notes about the things that worked for us or what we've read works for other folks.  We talked a bit about artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols.

Next time I think she wants to bring in food/appetizers and we should bring our favorites too. I guess I should do something with grilled shrimp wrapped in prosciutto if I can get them away from DH and Son#2. I will keep reminding her that DSrs and distals malabsorb 60-80% of the fat we eat so she won't go totally ballistic...[sigh]. I guess overcoming 4 years of NUT school indoctrination will be tough but I'll keep working on her. Maybe I should give her Sally's email. Sally is the dietitian that we were able to bring around at my other support group. It wasn't too hard, she already knew that normies need 30 grams of fat to be healthy and she can do math, which was an added bonus. lol

Anyway, that's my support group after action report. Y'all have a great Wednesday.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

CherylR
on 8/3/10 8:41 pm - Blue Springs, MO

I am up early to run today. It is so hot here that running after 8 am would be miserable. I thought about running last night but it was still 94 with a heat index of 100 at 840, Our power went off Monday  and sent us scurrying to a hotel as the house quickley became much to hot to sleep.  The surge that blew the transformer also blew the electronics in my oven. I guess I don't need to bake anyway. Have a great day everyone.

Cheryl
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
SW--235  Low Weight--145  Goal Weight135
Regain of 20 pounds--Getting Back on track

Roz !!!!
on 8/4/10 1:04 am - Butler, PA
AWE...the new baby!  You are going to be a Wonderful "Healthy"Grandma!!!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

southernlady5464
on 8/3/10 9:50 pm
Gina, glad to hear your baby Nut may be teachable after all. Yeah, four years of indoctrination is hard to overcome but not impossible.

Dh may be changing surgeons as well...he can't get this one to break down the program fee into different codes so our insurance will pay it. They keep it as one lump sum and the insurance company won't pay it that way. Dr. Pomp's office, on the other hand, doesn't charge a program fee. The only fee I will have is my Nut fee since she doesn't accept any insurance.

Anyway, he's on that path now. Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Shannon D.
on 8/3/10 10:22 pm
Good morning! I love the NUT from my program. She really seems to understand the dietary needs of WLS patients. Of course, I had the sleeve so mine are probably totally different than those who had RNY or DS. Plus, it's not a cookie cutter program. She works with us to figure out what works and does not work. They don't want people to drink shakes, but I hate eating breakfast, so she said to drink my shake, etc.

We don't have central air (we live in a 1914 farm house that we are slowly updating) and the window air conditioner in my bedroom took a dump yesterday...one more thing to deal with.

5'0"   HW-214   SW-186  GW-115  CW-96-99 
  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

italianspice
on 8/3/10 10:37 pm - Eastlake, OH
Well I give her credit. She is coming to you guys who are the most experienced seeing that you live it everyday. You can book learn something, but reality is  very different .
Good luck with the shrimp idea, I dont think I would let them out of the house either!
Have good day all!

Maria
lerkhart
on 8/4/10 12:08 am
Gina,
It sounds like she is really open to discuss things and that is great.

I"m going to have the protein shake talk with mine again tomorrow!!  Now I can show her how I can work these into my daily plan without blowing my calorie count out of the water.  They really do make my life a lot easier and my eating more under control.   Can't wait to see what she has to say.  I think I'm going to mention it to my surgeon also.  She usually comes in after he does.

Hope everyone has a great day.  I'm only working half a day today and then heading to my parents for the rest of the week and weekend.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 285 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 409 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 469 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 493 views