MIA recently and popping back in with a question

mythinme
on 8/5/10 1:09 am
Good morning LW's.  I have been dealing with a serious family issue (nothing involving sickness or death but serious enough to require all my attention and energy.) and am still dealing. So I apologize for not keeping in touch and thank Lee for keeping the fitness posts alive.

As I have been dealing with my crisis I have noticed some changes in my eating habits and body and wanted to run a few things by the experts here. I am looking for any and all input so no bars held...ok? 

The first issue I have noticed is that I have not been wanting to eat/drink throughout the day. On one of the most serious days I only had 2 protein shakes and not a bite to eat period. I met at least 60 g of protein and of course I forgot to take my vitamins. This pattern continued for about 3-4 days. I made a concious effort to get my protein and vitamins in. That lasted for a few days and I am struggling to "nurish" my body the way it needs.

The other issue is that when I do eat food, I am making great choices...BUT I am not able to eat much and get full VERY soon. Think of it like I was 2-3 months post op. The volume has significantly gone down. This is contributing to the eating issues above and not wanting to eat food...

Another issue is that I can feel my gut doing flips. I usually have been able to feel movement in the gut as my body processed food, liquids, vitamins,etc. Grumbly pouch...grumbly rumbly intestines, normal. A little bloating and gas...normal. NOW?? I really can feel my insides doing what feels like flips. I have felt squeezing feeling from the pouch. What is that? I have "heard" the pouch but never "felt" anything. I assume its the pouch since the squeezed feeling is right under the sternum.

Finally, the feeling of fullness of after eating brings about significant discomfort (pain in back on right side), bloating, and I think I actually can taste bile or something bitter after eating. Like right now I am having to 'sip' water instead of drinking like I normally could a few weeks ago. All I have had is my coffee. Nothing so far to eat.

So, I bring this all to the experts because a few things are running through my mind. I know stress is a very powerful enemy and wondered what the physiological effects it has on the body post-op rny. Another concern is that it may be an ulcer, gall bladder or something. I have lost 88 #'s and am at 137 now and size 6. A year ago I began my preop diet program. So its been a year on this journey and almost 8 months post op. So gallbladder popped in my mind as a potential issue and of course it would have to happen right in the midst of my other issues...so that would be my luck

As always, I don't know when to stop babbling and typing so I figured I'd put it all out there. I am working on getting back on plan and meeting my nutritional needs (protein/vitamins) but there are other symptoms that I am starting to hone in on...

Thanks and I'll pop back in later :) and appreciate your support and input. HUGS!! 

HW
/  SW /  CW /  GW (1st goal met!! ) New Goal Weight                        height 5'3"
230 / 196132  / 135                                       125

Linda D.
on 8/5/10 1:19 am - Armada, MI
I am sorry to hear about your troubles - I hope things resolve quickly for you and your family.  I know how stressful those kinds of things can be.

I am no expert, so I won't even weigh in on the issues you raise but will leave that to the more knowledgeable folks who I am sure will follow. 

But as far as not eating and having to rely on protein shakes - I think that short-term, it shouldn't be a problem.  As long as you are getting in your protein and water, you are probably doing the best you can under the cir****tances.  When you can eat, I am sure you are picking the most nutritionally sound choices available - although I know how easy it is, how tempting it is, to pick comfort foods during times of stress - and those foods are rarely the best choices.  I don't envy you right now - having to balance your needs as a WLS patient with the needs of your family during a stressful time. 

Anyway, sorry I couldn't offer more expert advice - but here are some hugs of encouragement for you.        
browneyedDeeva
on 8/5/10 1:57 am - NY
RNY on 05/03/13 with
aw Diana,
im so sorry for your family problems i hope they get resolved soon. and if u wanna talk im here as i am a good listener i wish i can help you onther else but i dont know sorry but i know someone will

see ya lighter,

Toni                         

graciesmommie
on 8/5/10 2:09 am

Gall bladder is the first thing that popped into my mind. If you are really stressed you could have an ulcer. I have had surgery this past week for a hernia. I have relied on smoothies, soup, crackers, etc. I just told my mother in law I had to get back on track. She is going to come back later to take me to the grocer store so I can find somethings I can eat. I think I will make me some spag. meat sauce and put them in little containers  and put them in the fridge. I like to do that and to put mozzerella cheese on top. The cheese makes it higher in protein. I am sick of CHICKEN! I would love a steak but haven't had much appetite. We have youth supper at church tonight but I have not had much luck with grilled pork chops. Guess I will try to go anyway to get out of the house a little.

I have found that when I get stressed my eating habits go off track too. It is important that we get back on track. Slow down steady our course and win this race. Good Luck Girl! Hope things calm down soon.

Nothing tastes as good as this feels!                                                                     
Jane W.
on 8/5/10 2:16 am - Southaven, MS
Sounds like a quick call to your dr or doc's nurse could relieve some of your anxiety.  I know that ulcers/gallbladder problems usually cause pain.  The squeezing feeling from the pouch...don't know; I guess the pouch can shrink just like our old stomach did, so that might account for the increased feeling of fullness---just a guess, that's why I would call your doc.

Anyway, not much help I'm afraid.  If you can get in your liquids, vit, and protein short term you'll be fine.  Not sure about the other issues.  Hope the stress/family issues resolve soon.  Miss you around here. 

5'6"    
Elizabeth_Ann
on 8/5/10 11:39 am
 Jane, 

If you could increase your font, I would appreciate it very much! My eyes are getting old! LOL

Hugs, 

Liz in Orlando       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Roz !!!!
on 8/5/10 4:20 am - Butler, PA
I wish we lived close by so I could give you a (((HUG))).  Stress can do terrible things to our tummys, so hopefully all of the rumblings are not serious.  If you don't have an appetite at least try to get in your protein drinks.  If you know that's all that's expected of you right now, you can at least stop worrying about not getting in your food. 

If you ever need someone to talk to, PM me and I will give you my number.  I have 3 DD's that I have had to listen too, so I have a lot of practice.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

lerkhart
on 8/5/10 4:41 am
Diana,
I sure hope everything works out for you and your family soon.  I'm sorry you are having family issues and have been thinking about you.  Please let me know if I can help you in any way.  PM me if you want to talk.

I think I would call the nurse and talk with her just to be sure they don't need to check something out.  I know when I get stressed it is like my pouch closes up and I can hardly eat any type of meat.  Could you maybe go back to softer foods and protein drinks?

You have done an amazing job.

Please take care of yourself.  I am thinking about you {{{HUGS}}}.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Shannon D.
on 8/5/10 7:09 am
When I have major stress I get physical symptoms as well. Maybe try your doc for anti-anxiety meds for awhile? The lack of appetite is totally normal with stress, and the lack of eating will shrink your stomach fast. Hugs and prayers to you!

5'0"   HW-214   SW-186  GW-115  CW-96-99 
  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Jody ***
on 8/5/10 10:10 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Diana - I've missed you!  I'm SO sorry to hear you're having family issues... and I know what stress can do to you physically...

I hope you are able to alleviate it - and soon.  I also am a "non eater" when I'm stressed.  Actually, maybe that's what I need right now...

A call to your surgeon or PCP would never hurt.  Maybe some Prevacid or other acid reducer?? are you taking any of them?

(((HUGS))) sweetie!  Stay here with us - we'll help!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 474 views