Ugh... What do YOU do when you get sick?

Jody ***
on 1/9/11 11:29 pm - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
A few weeks ago MajorMom (Gina) asked a question about whether we've been sick more or less since WLS.  My answer was "I haven't been sick since I've had WLS over 2 years ago"...

So - that statement is now coming back to me and biting me in the A$$.  The past 3 days the sinus crap has kicked in - I try to get it controlled (drip) before it becomes a full-blown sinus infection... but don't think I quite caught it in time.

Now - BF also has the same stuff.  So, I'm thinking we were both exposed to some virus at the same time since we both got it exactly at the same time!!  DS sounds rough to today....

I really thought I'd be feeling better today, but we both are feeling worse.  Yesterday wasn't really a bad day...

Unfortunately its NOT affecting my stomach... its just in my head/chest/ears.  The tummy is hungry as usual.  I'm thinking of trying a White Chicken Chili recipe I found (healthy one).

Oh - and just an update on my BL/BA... It was postponed until 1/24 because the Anesthesia machine broke and the parts won't be in until the 19th.  Well.. maybe that's a good thing now, since I would be worried if I was going to be 100% by next Tuesday for surgery.  This gives me an extra week to recover.

A friend who's quite medical said these things take 10-14 days to run their course (UGH!).  So I've got another week.....

So, I called into work.  I may take a sleepy pill and try to get some more rest.  Neither of us are sleeping worth a darn.  Oh, he had to work today.  He's got a mandatory training class all week.  Poor thing...

So - what do YOU take to try and get rid of this stuff?  Its funny, I hit 2 stores and NEITHER of them had any Tylenol Cold products... wondering why? 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

lerkhart
on 1/9/11 11:59 pm
I know how you feel Jody.  I take an allergy pill every day, but sometimes it gets so bad I have to try other things.  Mine usually turns to the headache and drainage which leads to a sore throat.  I try gargling with sal****er & lemon water.  I take a stronger allergy pill and if that fails to help I go to the afterhours care center here and get a z-pack to knock it on out.  They usually give me a shot of arthymycin(?)to get it started.

Hope you feel better soon.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Jody ***
on 1/10/11 12:16 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Thanks Linda!  I HATE being sick....

I was worried it would require antibiotics... I know when I get the "drip" I have to get it stopped immediately - didn't happen this time - the stuff I was taking just didn't cut it... 

Zyrtec worked ok for me initially, but had to step it up to full blown cold/sinus pills...

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so

lerkhart
on 1/10/11 7:19 am, edited 1/10/11 7:20 am
I forgot the old remedy we used as kids and I still use it sometimes. Vicks Vaporub rubbed on your chest at night. It opens everything up and helps you to breath.

You MUST take a shower in the morning and wa**** off really good or you could get pnemonia if you go out in the air with it on-I don't know if this is true or not - it was just what we were told when I was younger.

Hope you are feeling better.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
southernlady5464
on 1/10/11 12:17 am
Airborne (using ho****er), Tylenol Flu (also using ho****er), Vicks for the nose stuffiness if it's really bad, a humidifier for the bedroom at night, and plenty of broth, esp chicken soup.

AND REST!!!

I'm allergic to pseudophedrine which is in 95% of cold medicines so I have to be creative.

I've had the mother of all colds for the better part of the last ten days...and that's what I have been using...and it is working, colds take time. it's gonna take a week for symptoms to ease treated or not. The warm drinks just make you feel better.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

italianspice
on 1/10/11 12:18 am - Eastlake, OH
Saline nasal spray, helps soothe the nasal passages, is always a big help to me. I will also use psuedophedrine to help decongest too.
Sorry you are feeling yucky. Hope you feel tip top by the time surgery arrives!

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

ammonty123
on 1/10/11 12:19 am
Feel better!!!

The tylenol (and motrin even though we can't take it) was all recalled!  Haven't seen it in months for the kids, etc, so maybe it was recalled for adult doeses too?  Generic brand for Tylenol should work just as well.

Hang in there, get better, and you WILL be 100% for that BA/BL (I'm jealous of that BTW!!)  

Get well soon!!!!!
Ann Marie
HW: 242
SW: 225
CW: 178
GW: 140
Jody ***
on 1/10/11 5:19 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

Interesting... I went to Walgreens and they had a few of the Tylenol products, but not nearly what they've had in the past.

I ended up getting Theraflu Max.  It has acetamaphine (sp) in it.  I had a nice guy from the pharmacy helping me - there's SO many of them on the shelves you really don't have an idea what YOU need for YOUR symptoms...

Haven't taken it yet, waiting for the other stuff I took before I went to the store to wear off first. I did get a nap in though, wasn't long, but I did feel a little better.

Head still feels like it wants to explode... 

90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so

Stacey N.
on 1/10/11 12:23 am - Chesapeake, VA
I had that mess too, all last week I felt like someone ran over my head with a steam roller. I took regular sudafed and tylenol. I ended up having to have an antibiotic to help get rid of it. But I will say I have not had my bronchitis this year YAY! Lets hope I dont get it.

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

loverofcats
on 1/10/11 5:45 am, edited 1/10/11 5:49 am
Neti pot and saline rinse. Works better than any cold/sinus product out there. Theraflu is good, but a Neti pot and saline rinse work wonders.

Oh, the oldest remedy may be the best: heat a pot of water and breathe in the steam. Hold a towel over your head. It really helps to clear the sinuses.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 288 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views