I think it's time... (edited after seeing Dr)

rebecca_ann
on 4/12/11 6:12 pm, edited 4/13/11 3:46 am
To get on anti-depressants. :(

I've been battling depression for as long as I can remember and the last few months bulimia has come about as well. I've been in counseling for a couple of months and had some major breakthroughs (realizing the depression and bulimia) but I feel like they are both spiraling out of control.I try to remain positive as much as I can, always exercise and do things that make me feel good but it's just not enough.

I was trying to refrain from medication but I think it's time to go for it. One reason I was trying to stay away from anti-depressants is because I've heard a major side effect is weight gain and also it seems like people I know who are on them seem just as depressed on or off the medications. So I've been researching tonight and found one, Welbutrin, that claims there isn't really a side-effect of weight gain. Also, I have tremors so I don't know if anti-depressants will make that worse.

Any recommendations for those of you on anti-depressants?

Edit:

I just got back from the Dr and he put me on 2, 75mg doses of Wellbutrin daily. Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice. I hope this will help get things under control.
  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat    
MajorMom
on 4/12/11 7:53 pm - VA
I just want to commend you for looking into antidepressants in the first place. There's no need to suffer when you don't have to.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

rebecca_ann
on 4/13/11 1:25 am
thank you gina
Mama477
on 4/12/11 8:18 pm
I was on Wellbutrin for about 6 months when my Mom was very ill --it was the second time on ADs for me. I dont remember significant wt gain. Good luck, Rebecca!
rebecca_ann
on 4/13/11 1:25 am
Thank you
sqerlygirl
on 4/12/11 9:48 pm
Hi Rebecca :)

You are so strong to be confronting this issue and working to overcome it. I deal with depression that came on after a work injury and resulting chronic back pain. I take Wellbutrin and have no side effects from it. Currently I take 75mg 2x a day. Wellbutrin actually has been known to cause weight loss so it is a good med for you to start with :)

I have been through many med combos as so many do have bad side effects and wellbutrin and cymbalta have worked for me with no problems. Good luck and I am here for you if you ever need to chat!

Char
RNY 11/28/10 5' 6"
HW 263/SW 217/CW 130/GOAL 134

rebecca_ann
on 4/13/11 1:26 am
Char, I was thinking I would need to take a dose twice a day with the RNY so i'm glad you told me that. Thank you so much :)
fatoldbat
on 4/12/11 10:41 pm, edited 4/13/11 3:44 am
To get on anti-depressants. :(

I've been battling depression for as long as I can remember and the last few months bulimia has come about as well. I've been in counseling for a couple of months and had some major breakthroughs (realizing the depression and bulimia) but I feel like they are both spiraling out of control.I try to remain positive as much as I can, always exercise and do things that make me feel good but it's just not enough.

I was trying to refrain from medication but I think it's time to go for it. One reason I was trying to stay away from anti-depressants is because I've heard a major side effect is weight gain and also it seems like people I know who are on them seem just as depressed on or off the medications. So I've been researching tonight and found one, Welbutrin, that claims there isn't really a side-effect of weight gain. Also,  I have tremors so I don't know if anti-depressants will make that worse. 

Any recommendations for those of you on anti-depressants?

Edit:
I just got back from the Dr and he put me on 2, 75mg doses of Wellbutrin daily to start. Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice. I hope this will help get things under control.
Blessings,  J
HW 250.4/SW 238/1ST GOAL 155/2ND GOAL 150/CW 143.6
rebecca_ann
on 4/13/11 1:27 am
thank you so much
Roz !!!!
on 4/13/11 12:32 am - Butler, PA
My DD suffered with bulimia and depression when she was a senior in high school.  Unless you have had to deal with it no one can understand how terrible and controling it is.  I've heard good things about Welbutrin.  I don't think that was around when she started on medication.  She took Prozac and it only took about 4 months to get the eating disorder under control. 

I'm so glad you have decided that you need help.  I don't think an eating disorder or depression is something that you can do on your own without some kind of medication and counceling.

(((HUGS)))

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 470 views
Still kickin'...