Nervous about decision!

Carrie S.
on 5/23/11 8:03 am - Asheville, NC
 My area weight loss surgeons only offer   Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, the sleeve and the lapband.  

I've heard the sleeve is ideal, but most insurances don't cover it.  And I'm pretty sure mine doesn't either.  But my insurance hasn't been submitted, so I just don't know.

I'm meeting with my surgeon tomorrow.  (i'm a nervous wreck.  I've been pursing this for over a year and the moment of truth is finally here!!)  There's something about the lapband that doesn't feel right for me.  So I've been saying I'm going with gastric bypass.

I just need a little reassurance that I've made the right decision.   I know these surgeries are individualized, yet my weight loss management program pretty much threw the 3 out and said "pick one."  

Do you guys have any thoughts, support, advise?  

Thanks
Carrie

RNY June 22, 2011        Asheville, NC
    c
www.carriestewartemrick.wordpress.com 
Highest Weight 250      Starting Weight  226      Goal Weight  ???
Height 5'  6.5"
aspan
on 5/23/11 8:10 am, edited 5/22/11 8:11 pm
My options were similar except I could only do the RNY or the lapband. My doctor advised me that if I only wanted to loose 50 pounds of the 100 I wanted to loose I should not do the lapband...so needless to say I decided that the RNY was for me. At the time I wanted to do the sleeve, my husband had the sleeve so I thought that would be cool if we could eat the same amount/things but my bmi was a couple of points too low so that wasn't an option for me..and so that also threw out the DS. SO I got "stuck" with the rny and I am SO glad that everything happens for a reason!! RNY was what was right for me, my problem was sugar abuse, abuse because I couldn't just have a little I would just eat sugar item after sugar and even more sugar...my portions were pretty normal of anything else but if it was chocolate I would eat it. Guess what I can't nor want to eat anymore? Luckily I dump on sugar now which is exactly what I needed to break that habit. So I guess the reason for this rambling is although it may seem like you are limited you really have a couple good choices..pick the one that is best for you. Good luck with your appointment tomorrow!!
HW: 260? SW: 242 Surgeons GW: 150 First GW: 140 Second GW: 130 CW: 122      
Stacey N.
on 5/23/11 8:16 am - Chesapeake, VA
I honestly believe if I had the option of the sleeve, I would have chosen that, but mainly because I would like to be able to take ibuprophen for my arthritis. Do I regret my RNY, heck no. I know my weaknesses, sugar and carbs. Do some more research and I am sure everyone will pipe in on it, look at what you are addicted to.

I personally wanted to stay away from the lap band, I had too many things about it but that was my decision. For what I was given, i made the right choice!

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

MajorMom
on 5/23/11 8:25 am - VA
I'll tell you about how my surgeon helps his patients pick their surgery. He categorizes us into eating types: bloaters, sweeters and grazers. Bloaters eat big meals and rarely snack. Restrictive only WLSs like band and VSG might be enough to give the patient long term success. Sweeters are addicted to sugar and may need a little help with restriction; the RNY may be enough. Grazers nibble much of the day and may need a little help with restriction and the duodenal switch should be enough. If you can define your eating demons perhaps the surgery match will be easier to make. Your comorbidities might also go into your decision as well.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Kermit P.
on 5/23/11 9:17 am
Carrie....I would explore all of the surgeries during your appt tomorrow.  Dr Edwards is very nice and should be able to give you pluses and minues with each surgery.  The sleeve was not covered by my insurance and I also have had GERD at times and the risk of having that be worse was NOT something I was willing to risk.  I have read just too many bad things about the band here on OH and other places and also did not want to do this more than once (many people *****vise were originally lap banders).  I also have a first degree relative with lupus and it is not advisable to have the band when auto immune diseases are significant in your family.

The bottom line is that the surgery is a tool and we have to figure out what to do with it.  There are pluses and minuses to DS, lapband, RNY, or the sleeve.  As you know our program does not offer DS.  Picking which surgery is really an individual decision.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide.  I am grateful so far for my tool!

~~Jennifer
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Carrie S.
on 5/23/11 10:18 am - Asheville, NC
 I'm so glad to hear Dr. Edwards is nice!  I'm not quite down to where I'm suppose to be with my weight....but I'm really close.  Like 8 lbs away.  

Thanks for the encouragement.
I appreciate it very very much.  
Carrie
Carrie S.
on 5/23/11 10:52 am - Asheville, NC
 Hey Jennifer--the surgical office is right above Mission Weight Management there on Sweeten Creek?  Yes?  
Price S.
on 5/23/11 9:49 am - Mills River, NC
I had the same options with my surgeons but my insurance wouldn't cover the sleeve.  I also was scared of the band and so, RNY was my choice.  Not my first choice, but I have never looked back.  I have had no complications, no vomiting, no nausea, steady loss.  I really didn't like the idea of malabsorption but so far, so good.  I was used to taking vitamins and medicine so I am still taking stuff, just for different reasons.
Have a great meeting tomorrow.  Hopefully you will feel much better after the meeting about your choice.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

southernlady5464
on 5/23/11 10:08 am
Some people travel to get the surgery they want not the one their local doctor offers. IF one that you want is not avaiable locally, look further out.

Pick the best surgery for you regardless.

I chose mine because I wanted to be able to take NSAIDS afterward if I needed to and because it doesn't have reactive hypoglycemia as a known side effect afterward.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Kiminey65
on 5/23/11 10:28 am
RNY on 10/25/10 with
I went to the 1st seminar last July with the thought that I would only consider the lap band. Well, once there I was so ill-prepared for the information the surgeon gave us. He only offered RNY or lap band, and at that time, I didn't know much avout VSG. He wasn't keen on the success of the band and explained his reasons. He also made sure we understood that he would perform that procedure if we elected it though.

Once I got home from that meeting, I did a lot of homework, and as I understood VSG better, I may have considered it. Mind you, it wasn't even offered to me. I will also say, and this is so stupid, but it bothered me to think I'd have part of my stomach permanently removed if I had the vsg. I understand there isn't good logic in that statement, but last year it is one of the things I thought about.

I think after you discuss pros and cons with your chosen surgeon, you'll be ready to choose. Oh, and I am loving my rny!!!!! I am doing great.

Kim

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 489 views