*TMI alert* BM question

jspencer1014
on 9/4/11 6:12 pm - Riverdale, GA
I have had diarrhea since I had my RNY a month ago. Dr. doesn't seem too worried about it but it is annoying! I know it's not a life threatening issue and I would rather have this problem than the horrible constipation I had before surgery, I've tried not having lactose, but that didn't make a difference. The biggest problem that I'm having with this is the smell!!! I think the wallpaper in my bathroom is starting to peel!!!  LOL  And my poor poor hubby. Apparently I've been passing gas in my sleep(thank God that's all that's been passing lol). I already take about 3 or 4 gasx strips a day. Is it safe to take more? Is this normal or is there a lifestyle or diet change that could help the diarrhea or the gas?  Thanks for any suggestions or ideas!                         -Julie
"It's not what is taken from you that counts. It's what you do with what you have left."-Hubert Humphrey

MajorMom
on 9/4/11 7:08 pm - VA
Some folks do get diarrhea for the first month or so but it usually clears up as they heal unless they've gotten C-diff or something from their hospital stay. Yours doesn't sound like C-diff, thank goodness. Start taking your calcium and iron and as many other vitamins as you can and restrict your carbs. You might also start taking a probiotic such as Primal Defense Ultra or something similar. Probiotics are good for everyone to take and if you've been on meds and had your intestines rerouted, even more so. Keep us posted and I hope you get normal quickly.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

jspencer1014
on 9/4/11 9:33 pm - Riverdale, GA
On September 5, 2011 at 2:08 AM Pacific Time, MajorMom wrote:
Some folks do get diarrhea for the first month or so but it usually clears up as they heal unless they've gotten C-diff or something from their hospital stay. Yours doesn't sound like C-diff, thank goodness. Start taking your calcium and iron and as many other vitamins as you can and restrict your carbs. You might also start taking a probiotic such as Primal Defense Ultra or something similar. Probiotics are good for everyone to take and if you've been on meds and had your intestines rerouted, even more so. Keep us posted and I hope you get normal quickly.

--gina
Thanks Gina! C-diff is an ugly nasty thing. About 5 years ago I had a resistant strain after having an abdominal surgery. I had a fever of over 105 and almost died. I was in the hospital for 26 days. That was awful, but thank God this is different!  I'm taking all of my vitamins now except iron. That is going to be added next.  I'll look into the probiotic. I don't eat hardly any carbs now except what's in my dairy. I hope I don't have to stop eating those. They are the only thing that grouchy pouch allows!!!    Anyway, I have an appointment with my surgeon Thursday for my 1 month(5 weeks) check up. I'll talk to him about this issue,too. But I've found that the advise I get here works just as well or better than what my team comes up with!!! And it's much faster response times!! LOL                         Thanks again,                                                        -Julie
"It's not what is taken from you that counts. It's what you do with what you have left."-Hubert Humphrey

Price S.
on 9/4/11 9:59 pm - Mills River, NC
Seems like folks either get diarrhea or constipated and I went the constipated route.  But gas, yes, I think we all get gas.  The smell gets better but the amount doesn't seem to change.  And it's detemination of leave the body at any time it wants to doesn't seem to change.  Some times I can be private, other times, oh well, I hope for a noisey environment.  I haven't linked mine to anything I eat, unless it is the protein, which I can't stop anyway. 

DH who has not had surgery, tends towards loose stools (he would be thrilled I am telling all of you this).  His Dr has him on metamucil and has for years to firm his stools.  I know, sounds odd, but he swears by it.  Just a thought.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

jspencer1014
on 9/5/11 6:07 am - Riverdale, GA
On September 5, 2011 at 4:59 AM Pacific Time, Price S. wrote:
Seems like folks either get diarrhea or constipated and I went the constipated route.  But gas, yes, I think we all get gas.  The smell gets better but the amount doesn't seem to change.  And it's detemination of leave the body at any time it wants to doesn't seem to change.  Some times I can be private, other times, oh well, I hope for a noisey environment.  I haven't linked mine to anything I eat, unless it is the protein, which I can't stop anyway. 

DH who has not had surgery, tends towards loose stools (he would be thrilled I am telling all of you this).  His Dr has him on metamucil and has for years to firm his stools.  I know, sounds odd, but he swears by it.  Just a thought.
Thanks for the idea! I was taking metamucil in the hospital and for a couple of weeks after I got home with the same theory of "bulking up" the stools. It didn't really help much, and untill recently, the nausea was so overwhelming that I just couldn't take it anymore. Now that I'm feelind better, I may have to give it another try!           Thanks again!                                     -Julie

Stacey N.
on 9/4/11 11:44 pm - Chesapeake, VA
I went the constipated route but I am with you on the smell, would make the DOG run away LOL. Over time it has gotten ALOT better, took about 6 mo though. Good Luck

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

jspencer1014
on 9/5/11 6:12 am - Riverdale, GA
On September 5, 2011 at 6:44 AM Pacific Time, Stacey N. wrote:
I went the constipated route but I am with you on the smell, would make the DOG run away LOL. Over time it has gotten ALOT better, took about 6 mo though. Good Luck
My cat likes to follow me into the bathroom and will put her ears down flat against her head and bolt out the door when my stinky gets going!!!  LOL    I yell at her that I didn't invite her in anyway and it serves here right! Poor Kitty!!! ROFL Hopefully mine will ease off too. By then I may have to rehang wallpaper in my bathroom!!!                                                                     -Julie

sweetpotato1959
on 9/5/11 6:47 am
 ROFL!!!! have been there done that!
Denise
Amy P.
on 9/5/11 1:06 am - Liberty Lake, WA

Like you I had the loose poopy for the first month or so....the first two weeks was really bad~I was afraid to leave the house for long!  Then after that cleared up it was constipation and I was longing for the loose stuff again....I guess we are never happy!  But then I started adding benefiber to my shakes and that seemed to do the trick.

But just as bad as the stinkers is my bad breath!!  My DH now has the code word of "do you have any gun" to mean that my breath is like garlic to a vampire! I know that it is the protein shakes, but rather than give those up I just keep some sugarfree mints with me at all times!!  I really don't want to be know as the "stinky breath lady"~~I've met a few of those in my life.
                                HT 5'3"~HW 218~SW 208~GW 125

jspencer1014
on 9/5/11 6:17 am - Riverdale, GA
On September 5, 2011 at 8:06 AM Pacific Time, Amy P. wrote:

Like you I had the loose poopy for the first month or so....the first two weeks was really bad~I was afraid to leave the house for long!  Then after that cleared up it was constipation and I was longing for the loose stuff again....I guess we are never happy!  But then I started adding benefiber to my shakes and that seemed to do the trick.

But just as bad as the stinkers is my bad breath!!  My DH now has the code word of "do you have any gun" to mean that my breath is like garlic to a vampire! I know that it is the protein shakes, but rather than give those up I just keep some sugarfree mints with me at all times!!  I really don't want to be know as the "stinky breath lady"~~I've met a few of those in my life.
OMGoodness!! I know exactly what you mean!!! I feel like I've got nasty smells coming from EVERYWHERE!!!  LOL Listerine thin strips have been a saving grace for the bad breath. Too bad that there's nothing we can do about the other end!!!                               -Julie

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 470 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views