Muscle Cramps - Fiber Issues

lerkhart
on 9/20/11 2:23 am
I have really increased my exercise and on the days that I walk/jog I get leg cramps really bad sometimes.  I started taking Magnesium with Chelated Zinc(as Magnesium oxide) 1 per day which would be about 150 mgs.

Does anyone know if this is the right type of magnesium?  Should I be taking more than this?

I am getting plenty of fluids.  Over 100 ozs every day.

I just bought some GNC - Natural Brand - Clear Mixing Super Fiber w/ Probiotics.  I would like to try and replace the Miralax that I use daily with something more natural - has anyone tried this and has it worked?  Any thoughts??

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
MajorMom
on 9/20/11 2:39 am - VA
I don't think there's anything wrong with Miralax and if it ain't broke....  The magnesium you want for muscle cramps is magnesium citrate (not the liquid). You can get it in capsules and take them with each calcium dose you take.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

lerkhart
on 9/20/11 4:34 am
Thanks Gina.  Guess I'll be going back to the store!!
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
MacMadame
on 9/20/11 7:27 am - Northern, CA
Muscle cramping from exercise is almost always a fitness issue. I know it's commonly believed to be a nutrition issue but, if you aren't pushing the extremes (like working out for hours in 97 degree heat), then as you get more fit, you will get less cramping.

It's when you get muscle cramps for no reason that it's generally a nutritional issue.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

lerkhart
on 9/20/11 10:33 am
I have no problems when I do zumba. It is when I walk/jog for around 3 miles. So do you think the more I do this and get my body used to it they will go Away?
MacMadame
on 9/21/11 4:05 am - Northern, CA
It depends. If it's been *really hot* when you walk/jog, then maybe you just need to drink a sports drink during exercise (assuming you aren't). Then again, I just did a 5K time trial in 90 degree temp and I was fine and I wasn't even drinking water during it. (I did before and after though!)

But, if it's been a reasonable temp, then I would say it will go away as you get more fit. Zumba uses different muscles than walking and jogging. It uses more muscles and uses them in more ways. This puts less of a strain on any one muscle. Walking/jogging is pretty repetitive and can really put a load on your muscles.

lerkhart
on 9/21/11 4:08 am
Thanks.

I drink water while I am exercising but it just has crystal lite in it not a sports drink that has other things.

It has been really hot when I am exercising.  I'm doing a 5K this weekend and it is suppose to be cooler.  I'll see how it goes.

MacMadame
on 9/21/11 4:24 am - Northern, CA
Yeah, if it's really hot, your electrolytes can get out of balance because of sweating. Taking a supplement earlier in the day isn't going to help that as it's a critical issue, not a chronic one.

Now, there is a school of thought and even a study to support it, that it's really ALL fitness and that you don't need to do things like supplement with salt tablets when exercising. But my experience is that it's a combination. The more fit you are, the better your body is at balancing your electrolytes and some people's bodies just naturally do a better job. But sometimes the weather is just too much and you have to supplement.

If you are worried about calories, there are sports drinks with little to no calories. Nuun is one with no calories. It's like salty Crystal Light! (And, to be fair, it doesn't taste salty.) There is also G2 which is a lower calorie Gatorade.

You need to try this stuff out in training though before you try it in a race.

Price S.
on 9/20/11 7:38 am - Mills River, NC
I thought it was potassium that was the muscle cramp mineral?  I do a mag complex each night to help with joint pain and bathroom.  Seems to work.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

MajorMom
on 9/20/11 7:41 am - VA
Both potassium and mag citrate can be useful.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views