Granddaughter - OT - Swinging Needed

Kermit P.
on 4/8/12 3:37 am
Healing prayers being sent!

~~Jennifer
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
lerkhart
on 4/8/12 6:37 am
Thanks for all the well wishes!!  Y'all are great.

Her parents are going to talk to the orthopedic doctor about checking her little bones out.  She drinks lots of milk.  She doesn't fit any of the ricketts symptons.  She is actually over 100% of the height scale(her dad is 6'2"), she is very fair skinned.  She loves outside and goes out everyday to play.

They are going to get her Vitamin D and calcium checked.  DS said he was going to see if they would do a bone density - I have no idea if they will do that on someone as young as her.

Thanks again everyone.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
rbb825
on 4/8/12 8:55 pm - Suffern, NY
when there is a high incidense of bone breakage, they can do a few different tests - they can do bone density, they can do bone scans to test of any unidentified broken bones which might be a recommended test for her.  There is a conditon called brittle bones disease which causes bones to break really easily in children.  There are other disorders that cause bones to calcify or ossify - and the bone scan which is a nuclear test is the best test - also straigh xrays can see the calcium deposits.

Does she have any bone pain? Has she broken any bone before that you know of?

I know there is alot of information to be gathered and if I can be of any help, I will do as much research as  I can for you.  Good luck and please let me know what they find out.

I do know it is rare but children can have bone disorders -

lerkhart
on 4/9/12 3:16 am
Thanks for the info and checking on this for me. 

She does not have any bone pain.  She did break this same arm in about the same place about 3 months ago.  She fell off the steps of a slide at day care.  It was not a very bad break.  They said they were going to ask for test to have the bones checked out.  I hope they do.

She could not get in to see the orthopedic doctor that they want to use until in the morning at 8am so she is scheduled for then.  It is in a splint for now and being held immobile.  They could not get it set completely.  Hopefully they will have more answers tomorrow.

Thanks again!!

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views