Post Workout Nutrition

dasie
on 10/25/12 7:07 pm

I was on OH this morning searching articles for pre workout energy foods.  I came across this link posted by a member in 2006.  I thought I would share it.  In all the years I have had a gym membership I never knew about the importance of post workout nutrition and how it impacts our bodies.  I'm looking for an article on pre workout nutrition too.  Perhaps this will be informative. 

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi4.htm

Price S.
on 10/25/12 9:42 pm - Mills River, NC

Great article, Dasie.  thanks.  I do think that one reason I don't get sore is that I take a protein drink for hydration while I am working out and fini**** on the way home.  I think that gives my muscles the best chance at repair instead of hanging onto those toxins which is what makes us sore.  He does suggest more carbs in the post workout food than I usually have in a day.  The article from Gina seemed to say that if you reduce carbs, you use your fat storage but I don't know if that works for muscle rebuilding.  Because my muscle pump class is at 5:15, I also am eating supper as soon as I get home, so within that 1 hour window (more protein and green carbs).

Pre-workout I have usually just had one of my mini meals.  I don't usually think much about what specifically I am eating other than high protein before I go.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

dasie
on 10/26/12 1:57 am

I agree...the carb number was the one thing that really caught my eye; I cannot eat carbs. I'm going to begin drinking a protein shake post workout.   How many total carbs do you eat in a day? I cannot find my surgeon's info on total allowable carbs.   Gina's article was very good.  What does a mini meal consist of.  Ever since discovering I can no lonerg wear some of my clothes I have been diligent with my food choices and exercise.  What I've found is I don't have enough energy for my workouts because I'm consuming too few calories by the time I go to the gym.  In years past I lived in the gym during my many diet phases.  I now know I no more knew what what good for my body than the man-in-the-moon.  Thanks so much for the input.  If I remember correctly you're a little older than I and younger than my husband.  I just read your comments to him.  He too needs to incorporate this.

Price S.
on 10/26/12 3:15 am - Mills River, NC

I still eat 4 meals a day, plus my 4 protein drinks.  my schedule is 1.5 scoops of protein in my morning decaf, breakfast, 1/2scoop protein in a crystal light drink, lunch, 1/2 scoop of protein in a crystal light drink, around 4, another meal, usually just protein, that is before my workouts, dinner, 1.5 scoops of protein in a shake.  The 2nd drink is what I take to workout when I am.  I just reverse the meal and drink.  I was getting around 30 net carbs when I was losing but probably now am getting around 50 net. maybe more if I eat bean soup or yogurt.  I do have 1/2 flatbread  or a low carb bread on occasion but almost never potatoes, rice, pasta.  I do eat green veggies at almost every meal, salad, greens, broccali, etc.

I'm 63.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

dasie
on 10/26/12 6:24 am

You are so dedicated.  I do not get enough protein; I need to drink more shakes.  I also need to watch my carbs more.  I think I give myself too much slcak when eating yogurt and pinto beans and similar foods where carbs are concerned.  I know in order to get this extra weight off it will mean reducing my carb intake again, even from good carbs.  Thank you for the carb number. 

My husband is 63...I thought that was your age, or thereabouts.  Thanks for the help.

lerkhart
on 10/26/12 12:03 pm

Dasie, I usually had a protein drink and then maybe 1/2 a graham cracker w/ peanut butter on it.

After walking/running I would drink a bottle of water and then usually ate supper within 30 minutes after I finished.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
MacMadame
on 10/27/12 3:06 am - Northern, CA

For a pre-workout snack, you just want to top off your glycogen stores. So you should have whatever carbs you are having that day then. It's okay to have protein too though. I tend to have carrots or a piece of fruit or cheese sticks for my pre-workout snack and I only have a snack if it's been a while since I ate and I'm feeling a bit peck-ish.

One pitfall to avoid is eating too much both before and after (and sometimes during) exercise. Some people go a bit nuts and will have a pre-exercise snack of 100-200 calories, a post-exercise snack of 200-300 calories and then maybe even drink a sports drink during (150-300 calories) all for a one-hour exercise class that burns, maybe, 300-400 calories. Then they are shocked when they don't lose weight! mail

For any exercise of a hour or less, you only need water during (and not necessarily even that). Once you plan to go over 90 minutes, you do need think about fuel during exercise. But you shouldn't take in more than 200-350 calories an hour because your body can't digest more than that and you'll just make yourself sick.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

dasie
on 10/27/12 3:51 am

Thanks so much.  I have received a lot of great advice from some very knowledgeable people.  I think yesterday in my push to make certain I had enough energy for my workout, I ate too many calories/carbs pre workout.  I decided after the fact it needed to cut back.  Thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views