Protein Pasta - It CAN be done! 40g per serving and only 1.2g carbs!

GD6
on 10/31/12 1:47 pm - Hamilton, Canada

I made protein pasta for the first time today.  It came out okay, I was VERY surprised at how much it grew.  I used Unflavoured Pea Protein Powder but next time I'll use Unflavoured Whey Protein Concentrate which is MUCH cheaper and is TRULY TASTELESS!  

FYI, they sell both at the Bulk Food Warehouse in Burlington, Ontario.  The Whey Concentrate is in the bulk section and is just over $4.00 per pound. 

This is the recipe I used below.  I divided it into 3 servings but I didn't fini**** all so next time I'll divide into 4.

At 3 servings each one had 40g of protein and 238 calories, no fiber and only 1.2g carbs.

I did increase the olive oil by 1/4 tsp using 1/2 tsp all together.

I think this would be really nice in a lasagna.  Going to try and experiment next weekend.

PROTEIN PASTA (Makes 8.8 ounces/two servings)

• One cup plus one teaspoon Pea Protein Powder (Plus some for dusting) 
  • Three large eggs 
  • ¼ teaspoon olive oil

Instructions:

• Mix all ingredients with a for****il well blended.
  • Knead together for 2-3 minutes. ( put the crumbly dough on a piece of parchment paper and folded it over and over an over to knead it as it was kind of sticky at first.
  • Wrap dough in plastic and allow to sit for 30 minutes at room temp.
  • Remove dough from plastic and roll out to about the thickness of a dime.
  • Cut into shape using a sharp knife or cookie cutter.  I made very thin slices, about 1/4" wide and they grew to almost an inch wide!
  • Dust with pea protein as required.
  • Place cut pasta on a lint free paper towel for 15-20 minutes to dry.
  • Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a rolling boil.
  • Add the past and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally so the noodles don't stick together. 
  • Add your favorite spices and sauce.
  • Serve and enjoy.
Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

MajorMom
on 10/31/12 6:37 pm - VA

Very cool. You just may be on to something here. Thanks!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

lerkhart
on 10/31/12 9:07 pm
Oh wow!! Thanks. I am going to have to get some unflavored protein to try this. I gave all mine away.
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
LucysJourney
on 11/1/12 12:26 am - VA
RNY on 01/14/13

This will absolutely go into my protein arsenal.  Thanks a bunch.

Huneypie
on 11/1/12 3:23 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Now I'm scared to try protein powder, but I'm tempted (powdered milk and I really don't get on).  According to wikipedia it says "Pea protein is a relatively new form of protein powder which is valued for its high digestibility (90-95%), low potential for allergic responses, and low price."

You're so creative with your recipes - thanks for sharing.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

GD6
on 11/1/12 3:57 am - Hamilton, Canada
On November 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM Pacific Time, Huneypie wrote:

Now I'm scared to try protein powder, but I'm tempted (powdered milk and I really don't get on).  According to wikipedia it says "Pea protein is a relatively new form of protein powder which is valued for its high digestibility (90-95%), low potential for allergic responses, and low price."

You're so creative with your recipes - thanks for sharing.

I can't take the credit for this one, I googled pea protein recipes and found a pdf online that had a bunch of recipes.  :0)

Before WLS I cooked but was not very creative and tended to eat the same things all the time.  Since surgery I have become much more creative.  I really enjoy taking regular recipes and tweaking them to make them gluten & sugar free, low carb and high protein.

Most things turn out okay but I have had some epic fails! :0)  Last weekends pumpkin protein bars/cakes came out awesome but the protein powder chocolate chip bars were a mess!   LOL

The coconut flour cinnamon roll in a mug recipe was just plain nasty!  devil  The dogs liked it though.  :)

Pea protein is nice in that is is flavourless.  I've baked loaf cakes (with almond flour) with it and they've turned out beautifully.  But now that I've found such an inexpensive source for Whey Concentrate that is truly tasteless I'll be using that instead.

Here are some more pea protein recipes.  

http://www.absoluteorganix.co.za/pea-protein-recipes.pdf

Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

Huneypie
on 11/1/12 6:06 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

i'd never heard of pea protein so thanks for sharing all the same.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

kallan0100
on 1/8/15 10:37 am - New Zealand

I tried this with whey powder and 2 eggs was too much (glad I didn't use a 3rd egg!) for 1 cup and 1 tsp of the powder. It was VERY sticky and kneading was quite the challenge! I also used a pasta machine to flatten my pasta. Here's a tip: Don't make noodles from this! They just clump together when boiling and result in a chewy, rubbery mess, which I discarded after one bite. I definitely agree that this sort of pasta would be better for lasagna because that would have a lot of moisture between the pasta sheets which would (hopefully) prevent that chewiness from happening. I will definitely continue experimenting with this recipe and hope that I can find a way to make this tasty without compromising the protein content!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 490 views