feeling hungry?

Noragretz
on 9/14/14 11:46 am
VSG on 09/05/14

Ok so I have seen this posted alot after surgery. But that was before my surgery so I can't say I read them all. I had surgery 9 days ago and I am feeling hungry quite often.  I did read that acid can make you feel hungry but I am still taking protonix for the last 2 months for an ulcer. The doctor did say that we would be hungry for at least the first wee****il our body catches up with what happened.  I'm past the week, now what?

lerkhart
on 9/15/14 2:48 am

What type of surgery did you have?  Congratulations on your surgery.

Do you think it is real hunger or head hunger?  I never had any real or head hunger right after surgery.

Are you drinking lots of fluids?  Sometimes fluids with help with hunger.

Good luck.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Roz !!!!
on 9/15/14 3:37 am - Butler, PA

If you could please put your surgery type and date in your heading that would be so helpful. 

Like Linda I never felt hunger and she is right about the liquids.  Increase those if you can.  It's hard to answer without knowing what you are eating and how much. Are you drinking Protein drinks?  Figure out a way to get some protein in.  When do you start puree foods?  Buy unflavored WHEY protein and put it in jello, soups, bullion cubes,  hot chocolate, crystal lite, SF pudding, etc.

I'm almost 6 years out and I still have to take my Prilosec or I get a knawing in my belly that could be mistaken for hunger. 

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Price S.
on 9/15/14 9:39 pm - Mills River, NC

I had RNY and wasn't hungry for months.  I just ate because I knew I needed to.  Like Roz, I am 4 yrs out and still on my antiacid. 

At 9 days, I was on a schedule to "eat" every 2 hrs.  It alternated between protein drink and mushies.  And we were suppose to be drinking if we weren't eating (well, wait 1/2 hr after the mushies).  So I was consuming something all the time. 

If none of this is helpful, let us know the surgery type and you food plan for now and maybe we can help more. 

You are on your way to a new healthy life.  All of this will be a blink in time.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Jody ***
on 9/16/14 1:01 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

I too didn't feel hunger - and didn't for a long time (still wish I didn't!!).  I know when my tummy is grouchy it feels like hunger.  And yes, acid can do it.  Maybe your ulcer is contributing to it too? 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Noragretz
on 9/21/14 3:54 am
VSG on 09/05/14

Sorry I don't know how to add the info, but I had the VSG. I just assumed this was lightweights for vsg.... sorry.  Anyways, I was trying to stop taking the pain meds probably too early. I noticed the hungry feeling would go away with taking the pain meds. So I kept taking them on a schedule (cutting them in half though). I can say after about 4 more days and still not feeling the need for pain meds, the hunger feeling has went away.  I'm feeling much better, and I'm not taking any of the Percocet. (Bleh - I still don't get how people take that crap for enjoyment!)

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views