Scared to eat

Abby M.
on 12/16/14 10:25 am
RNY on 12/08/14

I had my first post op today and it went really well! Got that darn drain out! Who knew it was so long?!

So I can start testing puréed stuff but I am terrified to have an adverse reaction. I tried a little mashed potato and it was ok.  It's good because mashed potatoes are my favorite anyway. 

Were any of you scared?

What were your "favs" at that point?

thanks!

ebonymc
on 12/16/14 10:56 am

I'm happy things went well for you. I'm sure that I will be scared too. I had the band 5 yrs ago and it didn't work out for me.  But my first meal was mashed potatoes too, right after my post op meeting and eating it went well too. keep up the good work and enjoy the honeymoon phase. This time around, I really plan to. Good Luck~

MajorMom
on 12/16/14 5:59 pm - VA

Good for you!  I drank a lot of protein shakes at this stage and still do. I was scared to eat carbs thinking I would sabotage my surgery. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Daelcare
on 12/16/14 8:28 pm - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

Don't be terrified of the adverse reaction...it only lasts a little while and it is a great teacher!!  The only reaction I have had to anything that I have eaten is major heartburn and it only comes from eating or drinking too fast or too much!  I think they told me I was supposed to slow down anyway....I'm a slow learner!!  I had my 6 week post-op yesterday and am cleared to eat anything....so went to my first Christmas party last night and had green beans, mac-n-cheese, grapes, and cherry cheesecake all after my chicken!  No problems with any of it...of course, they were very, very small bites of each!  All that being said...I'm still partial to my Greek yogurt and protein shakes!  My favorite snack is a few raw cashews...they're chewy!  Best of luck to you!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

Abby M.
on 12/16/14 8:30 pm
RNY on 12/08/14

That sounds awesome!! Congrats on your green light :-)

Price S.
on 12/16/14 10:03 pm - Mills River, NC

My drs plan was very specific and we weren't allowed mashed potatoes for a while.. In fact, white carbs were a long way out.  Protein first, 1/4c then 1/4 cooked non-starchy veggies if we had any room.  Cottage cheese, pureed chicken, meat, yogurt, soup.  My sister made me some wonderful chicken soup and pureed it and it was the best thing in the world because it tasted like real food, not sweet shakes.  Just take it slow.  One food at a time, tiny amounts.  That way if something does bother you, you will know what it is.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Trouble1391011
on 12/17/14 3:39 am

I lived on mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs for the 2nd and 3rd weeks after surgery. At week 4 I could have pasta and beans and soft veggies which I lived on until week 7 when I could go to a normal diet :) 

lerkhart
on 12/17/14 9:18 am

I think every doctors plan is different.  I was so afraid when I went from mushy food to regular food.  I chewed and chewed because I was afraid it would get stuck and at some point it did and I survived!!  

Good luck.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Abby M.
on 12/17/14 9:50 am
RNY on 12/08/14

My guide gives suggestions but not strict rules which is good. Some of the purees that are online that suggest blending meat make me want to puke. They probably taste fine though. Just feel sensitive that way. 

Roz !!!!
on 12/18/14 8:34 pm - Butler, PA

Welcome to our Board!!!  I wasn't scared but I struggled with drinking.  It hurt the whole way done for a really long time.  I seemed so tight. 

I ate a lot of soups, smashed vegetables etc.  I put Unflavored Protein in practically every thing. Including SF jello, soups, crystal lite, SF hot chocolate etc.

At 6+ years out I rarely eat things like mashed potatoes and even if I do it's just 2 bites.  It's easier to give up carbs now than when you are future.  Read the message I put at the top of Menus and Miles.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...