Slower Than Expected??

Zonechef
on 12/17/14 9:53 am
RNY on 12/03/14

Hi all. I am 2 weeks post op today and a little concerned on lack of loss. I lost a lot of weight in the 3 months pre-op using South Beach as recommended by my nutritionist. I am 56 yo man I went from 294 to 250 (down 44 lbs) between Sept 3 and my RNY on Dec 3rd. Since my surgery 2 weeks ago I have only lost another 7 lbs down to 243 (or 51 lbs. down total). I am eating protein first, and almost exclusively getting plenty of walking in and sipping all day so that I am getting my fluids and protein regularly. Not sure why I am not losing like many others. I see so many losing so much during the initial months. Could this initial stall be due to the pre-surgery weight loss. Any one else's experiences similar to mine?? Thanks!

Roz !!!!
on 12/18/14 12:47 am - Butler, PA

Congrats on your RNY!!!  Also congrats on what you have lost so far!!! 

After surgery we have a lot of bloating which probably is partly the blame for your stall but it could also be that your body is taking a break because of all of the weight you lost during your pre-op diet.  I promise you that if you stick with GOOD Protein and low Carbs and  you don't have any health reasons that hinders it you will lose weight.  Our bodies stall every once in awhile but during those stalls we usually lose a lot of inches so take your measurements. It's encouraging during those stalls to see changes in our bodies.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Price S.
on 12/18/14 1:00 am - Mills River, NC

Geeze, I typed this great response and OH ate it.  Well, you are doing great.  congrats on surgery and the weight lost to date.  It will happen, I promise.

Several things may be going on.  Your body may be taking a break, that happens to lots of folks.  You have to lose all the fluid they pump into you during surgery and that can take a while.  Also, you are a lightweight, so you have to look at % of loss, not the number of pounds.  Our heavier friends may lose 40 lbs the first month, but that may be 33% of our excess weight which is pretty unreasonable if you really think about it. 

so follow your dr orders, protein first, move, sip, and you will be fine.  It isn't a race, it is the rest of your life.  so if it takes you 18 months instead of 12, that's ok.  Because then you just keep on keeping on!!!

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

White Dove
on 12/19/14 6:11 pm - Warren, OH

Your weight loss is not slow. Go to Resources at the top of the page and select the Post Op Planner.  Put in your numbers and you will see what to expect for each month.  Weight loss after surgery is not so much fast as it is permanent. 

We have all lost weight faster, then gained it all back.  This is a different journey with the opportunity for a much different outcome - weight loss for life.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

iloveravens
on 12/20/14 7:06 am
RNY on 08/13/14

You're right on track.  I think it is due to your pre-op loss.  I didn't lose anything before my surgery.  So also in my 4th month I've noticed that weight loss is slowing down.  It's completely normal, our bodies need to catch up. :)

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views