newbie surgery scheduled

keoh52
on 1/23/15 9:45 am - Tilton, IL

I am scheduled for gastric bypass April 9th and I am looking for support.  I was doing great waiting for the surgery to get scheduled, very positive that I would do great.  I am now very nervous and worried.  I know I need to have this done for multiple health reasons and many doctors telling me that I need to lose weight.  I have been looking for many different websites for information on recipes and list of items that I need to purchase prior to surgery.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Price S.
on 1/24/15 4:28 am - Mills River, NC

We are here to help!!! 

I had had many surgeries before and the actual surgery didn't scare me.  I knew I had to do something and I had tried about everything else there was to try.  I was 61 and had lots of health problems and I wanted the rest of my life back.

Now I am 4 yrs out, have no health issues and love life.  I go to muscle pump 2x a week, drive and ride my ponies and am about as active as an 66 yr old around.  I just wish I had done it sooner.

I was lucky.  My Dr group was a Center of Excellence and they were all about education.  We had to attend 12 seminar sessions before approval, 4 weeks of pre-op diet and education meetings, then meetings for every diet phase change.  Hopefully your group will offer a good training before your surgery.  Feel free to ask any questions that you have. 

My best suggestions are to get as active as possible before surgery.  Being strong will help you recover. Walk or whatever you can do.  Decarb and decaff.  Stop drinking with meals.  You will have to do that after surgery and it isn't easy for most folks. 

Stay in touch and let us know when you have questions.  Congratulations on your date.  That is when it started feeling real to me.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 1/24/15 6:39 am - Butler, PA

How Exciting!!!  I'm glad you found us!!!  I can't help with you recipes because my DH really doesn't like variety and we eat the same things all of the time but I'm here for support and answer as many questions as I can.  I'm 6 years out and WLS has changed my life! 

After surgery most of us have a problem with tastes after a week or 2.  Everything is extremely sweet, sour, salty, or spicy.  There isn't a lot you can prepare for before WLS.  I remember stopping to buy Tylenol and SF Popsicles on the way home. I also bought a small plate that made me smile and I still use it.  You will need a blender for soft foods and if you are going to use Protein Drinks (which I strongly recommend). I swore by a light weight panty girdle after all my surgeries because it kept my chub tight so my stitches didn't pull (used for 3 C-Sections, Hysterectomy and my WLS).

As Price mentioned stop drinking before/after meals, give up carbonated drinks and caffeine. If you smoke this is a good time to stop that too. 

You might not feel hungry at the beginning but you need to drink a lot.  I preferred warm to cold. Cold seemed to hurt the whole way down.  It's hard to tell what will work for you. 

I went to GNC and bought unflavored Protein called "Any Way" and I put it in everything....soups, SF jello, SF hot chocolate, flavored water, SF pudding, blended foods etc.

(((HUGS)))

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 474 views
Still kickin'...