C25K

Jenniflower75
on 3/9/15 12:45 am

Started my couch to 5k yesterday. It was horrible. I had the worst asthma attack of my life and honestly don't know how I got home BUT I did it again today and lasted 19 min of my 30 min and walked home from there. I did good. I'm very proud of myself. I can't wait to do the 5k and I'm so proud of my achievement from yesterday's time to todays. Yesterday I only did 11 minutes. That is a huge accomplishment for me. I don't know if I'm going to do it tomorrow or not it will depend on when I go to sleep tonight because I have an interview in the morning but I want to try doing it any way. Because of my asthma with the couch to 5 k program I have to do it almost every day to be able to advance to the next step. I need those extra days to get my lungs set and ready to go. Any way I hope you all are doing well. Just wanted to tell you what I'm up to. HUGS

Jenna77
on 3/9/15 1:21 am
VSG on 02/25/15

Way to go! I completed the C25k program before having wls. Granted this was back in 2012 and I have to say I wish I had continued afterwards. I am thinking about doing it again. It is tough but you can do it. For me what helped was has music and even though it sounds funny, I would visualize myself crossing the finish line of a race and that feeling helped. I did run in three 5ks afterwards too. I was a slow runner but completed in under 45 minutes.

After a while you will develop a love hate relationship. You'll hate it but LOVE the way you feel afterwards. You have every reason to be proud of yourself! Keep up the good work!! It's worth it!

....now you have me missing it ;)  

5'1 Consult: 227 HW: 232 SW:212 CW:131 GW: 120 Pant size start: 18/20 Current: size 6/8

M1: 195 (-17) M2: 184.6 (-10.4) M3: 176.6 (-8) M4: 168.2 (-8.4) M5: 160 (-8.2) M6: 155.4 (-4.6) M7: 145.6 (-9.8) M8: 141 (-4.6) M9: 137 (-4) M10: 135.8 (-1.2) M11: 135 (-.8) M12: 131 (-4) M13: (-0) M14: (-0) M15: (-0) 

Have stopped losing pounds but am losing inches! 

Jenniflower75
on 3/9/15 1:52 am

Glad you are missing in Jenna77 Maybe that will get you doing it with me lol. I love it but you are right it's a love hate relationship. I'm so happy I'm doing it again. This will only be my second 5k but my plan is to do 4 total this year. That way I stay motivated to continue running after the 5k. My first one my time was 48 min 19 sec. I'm hoping to do this one under 40 min. My goal for the last one of the year is 25 min 25 sec. My reason for my time on the last one is when I did my first 5k I made my younger two kids do it with me. We started the race off together and my son stayed with me for the first 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile. I told him he could go ahead and he jogged the rest, not run, and his time was 25/25. He is my runner and holds the record at his high school so I know that he could easily have gotten a time much faster than that so that's my goal. I want the same time he had. I'm going to work hard at achieving this goal. I love running and it blows my mind that I am a runner. i would have never thought I could call myself that but here I am, running every day and registered for a 5k in less than three months, with plans on three more in the next 9 months. It's an amazing feeling. I want to shout it from the roof top. I just feel so good about myself for doing this and it has me eating better, it also has my husband eating better because he's trying to be supportive. Of course it's a nice bonus that i will be dropping weight a lot easier while exercising but I'm also only eating during a 9 hr window and for a good three or four hours after my work out I'm not hungry. It's amazing. 

With my bipolar the exercise is very important for me. Also the fact that my medications have pretty much slowed my metabolism to a crawl makes it that much more important to exercise hard every day. I figure for now a half hour a day is good but I want to work my way up to doing the program twice a day. I'm not sure when I will start doing that but it will be at least a few weeks. I have to start getting into shape before I try pushing myself that far. The exercise is also good for me emotionally. It is such a spirit lifter! I really truly feel amazing for the rest of the day after exercising. 

I have an interview tomorrow morning and the job is 12 hr shifts so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to jog every day but i will try my hardest. I'm going to jog inside the park we live in so that I don't have to worry about traffic or safety issues. I also have a safety reflective vest of my husbands so that I'm very visible. But my PLAN is to job before work on days that I work then whenever i wake up on days that I don't work. I just hope I can stick to the schedule. 

I'm just so proud of myself and so excited to do the 5k's. It's going to feel amazing to cross those finish lines and I just know I can beat my time of 48 min. I know I can hit my goals for the times for the races. I'm just so stoked. I even have a plan for when the weather gets too hot to exercise outside. I have a gym membership  and will jog on the treadmill before work because it's one of those 24 hr places. I love the treadmill but to stay ready for road running I'm going to have to run on an incline. I won't make it too high so that I'm not getting hurt. 

Anyway I rambled here. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to keep everyone updated with my running and weight loss since starting the running. :D

singdoremi
on 3/9/15 1:57 am - NJ

I have tried to do this program twice since my surgery. Just don't have the stamina even though I walk 60 minutes most days on the treadmill. Lately I have been doing some cardio with light weights programs that are on ON DeMAND. Good luck to you! I guess being 55 doesn't help either. LOL!

VSG 6/4/13
Ellen

Jenniflower75
on 3/9/15 2:09 am

Don't give up. Maybe start walking on sidewalks. it's harder to do and prepares you better for the c25k. Then do the c25k on the treadmill before starting it outside. Baby steps. This really is an excellent program and the beauty of it is you can take as long as  you need to finish each stage. When i did it last time I only jogged for 30 sec then walked for 2 min and back and forth during the first week. then worked my way up to 45 sec and 2 min. I never got past 3 min jog with 2 min walk. I'm hoping that since I'm doing so well this time that I will be able to complete it the way it's intended because this program the first week you run for a whole min and only walk a minute and a half and I'm doing it. I can't believe I'm doing it but I really am doing it. I'm not sure how long the running/walking time combo is for next week but I'm not going to psych myself out by checking lol. It will be a surprise when I start next week. If I can't do the full time for the jogging I will go back to week 1 :D Good luck and don't give up. Good luck on your exercise journey. 

Jenniflower75
on 3/10/15 11:32 pm

I did it I did it I DID IT!!!!! I did the entire 30 min week one work out for the c25k!!! I'm so proud of myself. I am going to rock this 5k in may. I can't wait.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 489 views