"Protein Party" at Support Group last night...

teach2
on 4/15/15 7:34 am
RNY on 12/23/14

I went to our "Protein Party" at support group last night. I thought maybe you'd all appreciate what seemed to be the favorites...

bars-

1- GNC Total Lean Bar in blueberry yogurt flavor- 180 cal, 15 g protein, 10 g fiber and 22 carbs- but it's my understanding that you take the fiber out to get a 12 net carb???

2- Quest Bar- S'more flavor- 180 cal, 20 g protein, 13 g fiber and 23 carbs- so 10 net carbs

*We tried soooo many bars! We didn't have any to try, but a favorite among the group was the "Oh Yeah" bars?? I need to look into those. It was strongly stated though, that these are for meal replacement- not a snack due to the high calories, etc. I suppose if you could limit yourself to half a bar it might be okay..

'Chips'- I was so excited to hear about these!! They only had one brand - Quest. They were all tasty except the sea salt ones- they were like cardboard.

Each package has 120 calories, 5 carbs and 21 g of protein (no fiber)

1- Bar b que flavor

2- Cheddar and sour cream (my personal fav)

3- sour cream and onion

Favorite protein drinks- I didn't try a lot of these cuz I'm perfectly content with my Premier ready to drinks. I'm just too lazy to mix up a shake... (sad, but true)

1- Inspire protein- many flavors- strawberries and cream, pumpkin pie, and chocolate royal (I think) were the favs- but none of the Inspires were bad.

2- Nectar- vanilla

One thing we tried that was HORRIBLE was a vegan protein drink. I can't remember the name, but it looked like the Isopure drinks I had right after surgery. It was plant based and I can't explain how you must avoid it all costs... Comes in a glass bottle- super expensive- like 7 bucks a bottle and looks like Kool Aid. If you see it, don't try it!

Also, there was something called a Fun Bar- the rep told the nurse they were flying off the shelves (tee hee) It was like a little Starburst looking thing (sounds good so far..) Many people spit it out. I didn't think it was THAT bad, but I wouldn't eat it again. It was - according to the rep- the best flavor, which was grape. It wasn't recommended!!

Anyway, I hope maybe this helps a few of you who are looking for some supplements. Have a great evening!!

RNY on December 23, 2014 with Dr. Michael Greene

Start Weight- 225 Surgery Weight- 218 2 wk- 208 6 wk- 198 10 wk- 181 14wk-179 18 wk-172 21 wk- 168 25 wk- 162. 29 wk- 158. Mo 8 - 155

Mo 9- 150 Mo 10-148. Mo 12-145  CW 140

Price S.
on 4/15/15 1:14 pm - Mills River, NC

I guess like all things, we have different favorites.  Personally, I have never had a premixed drink that I could do.  We had tasting sessions when I was a newbee at our support meetings and they all tasted awful to me.

For the bars, we had very strict guidelines for which ones we could use.  Oh yeah was one but I remember it was 1/2 bar for a good while.  Our guidelines were for how much protein, carbs, calories.  The Oh Yeah are good.  These days, I buy some from Aldi for emergencies that are low carb and protein is about 10g. 

When Vitalady was in business, I ordered a slew of samples at one point.  There were some that were good but really high in calories and carbs so I stayed away after the sample.  Overall, FOR ME, Syntrax is the one brand I have stuck with over and over. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 4/21/15 2:22 am - Butler, PA

Isn't Vitalady in business anymore?

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Price S.
on 4/21/15 2:57 am - Mills River, NC

not sure.  I know I saw something about her selling the business.  Maybe Gina will let us know.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Navychic
on 4/16/15 5:01 am
RNY on 02/09/15

Ive found that I liked the cheddar & Sour cream Quest chips, but try to stay away from them in general because knowing me well I need to set boundarys.  But what (I stole from another poster in RNY Forum that I do like), is I use them to dip (about 6 or so) something I do want some of like hummus, yumm.  I take them out of the pkg & then fold it and clip it and put them away.  Then I can eat them with hummus till they are gone.  Limits me on both things, and I have more chips avail for a few days away.

Also agree Syntrax is my current goto...although I am seriously considering trying some premier RTD just for ease and speed on work days.

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

JB1114
on 4/16/15 5:20 am - Grain Valley, MO

I'm not sure my doctor still has support meetings.  Last time I went it was geared toward new patients.  You would think as large as Kansas City is, there would be a support group.  My doctor has 3 locations.

I've tried GNC's Total Lean shake and it's okay.  I bought the sea salt Quest chips, really liked them, so bought the other 2 flavors and now I don't care for any of them.  They leave a nasty taste in my mouth.  I like Inspire Peanut Butter Cup but don't care much for the Latte flavor.  Both Inspires don't mix up as thick as I like plus I just don't like the woman that sells them. 

We all have such different tastes, but it's nice to have a chance to taste things before buying them.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Navychic
on 4/16/15 5:46 am
RNY on 02/09/15

Totally agree on the pre-taste samples being so helpful.  My fav pre WLS drink was Chai Tea Latte, I would drink it every chance I got.  So when I saw a Chai Tea Latte Protein shake, I about broke an ankle getting my credit card to order some. Oh my go**** was sooooo grosss (and so expensive). I literally pulled over to the side of the road the 1st morning I made a cup and dumped it out, and even then the smell of the cup in my car kept making me gag. Planning to give it away at the next meeting/support group my nut has, as I get angry every time I look at it and feel like I can't just throw it in the trash.

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

Jody ***
on 4/16/15 5:51 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

Thanks for the review!  Very helpful.

I find the bars I'll "go-to" are Atkins - it's been awhile so I'm not 100% which flavor, but I think it only had like 5 net carbs (these are small bars too).  It was a chocolate mix one (maybe with PB in it?)...  I tend to NOT eat bars only because they are like crack to me... hard to give up once I start ;)

I remember doing this at support group - it is helpful.  Nice when you can compare, taste and talk to others too.

Thanks for sharing!!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Lee ~
on 4/18/15 4:08 am - CA

Oh Yeah are definitely crack for me, or they were a few years ago.  Have not tried it since then.

i don't do shakes because I'm hungry right afterwards.

My go to is Quest Chocolate Brownie.  It the original recipe. I don't find it hard to limit them.  Broken into squares and heated on parchment in the micro it becomes like a warm cookie.  Fits well into my low carb too!

hi Everyone!   ❤️

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Jody ***
on 4/18/15 10:13 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

Hi Lee!  How are you???? I've missed you!!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views