Nutrition

boxtop2006
on 5/19/15 11:12 am
RNY on 03/24/15

I was wondering how many Calories, Carbs, Sugars, fats and Proteins are considered good (today makes 8 weeks out)?  I asked my NUT and she said as long as I am getting under 700 Cal and 70 Proteins I am doing fine and not to worry about my Carbs and sugars.  Now I know my carbs and sugars should be low but I don't know what low is.  I don't want to take in too little but I surely don't want to get too much either.  I know you guys aren't NUTs but some of you have already been where I'm at in the "game" so I'm sure you have already asked this question, also I know every Doc has a different opinion so as many answers as I can get will help me figure out where I might need to be.  Thank You all so very much, You have all helped a great deal so far!!  Hope you have a wonderful week!

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

Price S.
on 5/19/15 1:21 pm - Mills River, NC

We were never asked to log anything but protein and fluid.  By 8 weeks we were to be up to 80g a day headed towards 100.  With RNY, I need to keep my protein around 130 to keep my levels correct.  That being said, if you are using a tracker, you see all the rest.  I did find that around 5 months, I started slowing way down.  I could keep losing at a respectable pace if I lowered my carbs to 30 or less net (minus the fiber) The same calories with higher carbs and losing stopped.  I think you will find that most of us old timers, LOL, stay pretty low carb and try to avoid the simple carbs all together.  Maybe some carbs from milk products, beans, etc but no pasta, bread, rice, etc.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

boxtop2006
on 5/19/15 1:42 pm
RNY on 03/24/15

On MFP, for my calorie intake (500-630) it has 35 Carbs and 45 Sugars listed as what I can have but those #'s seem really high to me, especially the sugar.  I have been keeping my sugar under 10, now my carbs depending on the day have gone to 30 but not very often.  I just wasn't sure what the range for "low" is.  I'm not really worried about it, I just thought it odd that the NUT didn't give me a "DO NOT GO OVER" amount. LOL  100 Proteins??  I'm lucky getting 75-80..  I still eat very little and only manage to get the amount of proteins I do because I don't eat breakfast so I drink a protein shake (30 proteins) and then have half a protein shake (15 proteins) for a snack..  Oh and I am so scared of dumping that I wouldn't even think about eating bread, pasta, rice or candy! LOL  As long as I stay scared, I won't be tempted.  I gave up soda over 7yrs ago, when I tried a sip of it (before surgery) the carbination burned my mouth.  Temptation can easily be gone if you think something bad can happen. LMBO   Thanks for the info. :)

Melissa

Jody ***
on 5/20/15 6:57 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

I don't pay attention to what the online trackers tell me - as we are very different than a "normie" now.   I was told by my NUT prior to surgery no more than 5g of sugar.  I took that to be for the entire meal... as I was also very concerned about dumping.  Did it a few times and it's NOT fun.  Carbs under 30 is also great. 

I also dumped on fat early on - so I was very careful with that too.

It sounds like you've got it down good and under control.  Just keep on doing what you're doing and you'll do great!!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

boxtop2006
on 5/20/15 9:42 am
RNY on 03/24/15

Jody,

Thanks for the reply and encouragement.  Thank goodness I haven't experienced dumping but I know I don't want to either so I just make sure I stay away from anything that might make it happen. LOL  Hope you have a wonderful day!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 288 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views