New member here

vicwytch
on 5/20/15 10:45 am
RNY on 12/11/15

Hello there,

New here and wanted to say hello and ask newbie questions. I had my first surgeon consult appt last week on May 12 and my first lifestyle weigh-in on Monday the 18th. My insurance requires five more weigh-ins through the lifestyle program before they will approve the surgery date. So here we go with some of my questions that I hadn't thought about during my consult:

a. I'm having a difficult time staying within my 1400 calorie area during this pre-period. Does this mean I'm going to have a hard time post-op when the calories are even more restricted or will I not feel the hunger pains so much?

b. I have excessive GERD/reflux. I've heard that RnY can help with this--has anyone noticed a big difference? I sometimes aspirate acid when falling asleep on my left side. Not pleasant and I would love for that to go away.

c. Do you lightweights all notice excessive skin after losing? I have to say this is an area that I am terribly anxious about--not wanting to go through another surgery just to get rid of skin. Is there a way to combat that? And I'm 50 yrs old so I know that's not in my favor :(

Thanks for any help!

Victorria

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victorria (VicWytch)

SW: 223 CW: 149  GW: 130

RnY Surgery date: December 11, 2015

Elizabeth C.
on 5/20/15 11:44 am - Mansfield, TX

Hello and welcome!  You will find so many on this board are friendly and insightful!

You will be very restricted after surgery, so you should have no problem staying in your calorie range.  I would encourage you to go ahead and make the following changes now, it will make doing this after surgery so much easier...

Get at least 65 grams of protein a day (my surgeon had me get 80 and recently bumped me up to 100)

Get at least 64 oz of water or healthy liquid a day (protein shakes, crystal light, decaf tea)

Stay away from carbs... even healthy ones.  Fruit is sugar. :(  Once you get into maintenance, you will be able to slowly reintroduce these.

Try not to graze or snack.  If you do snack, make sure they are planned and packed with protein.

If you can fill your plate with dense protein (Chicken, Beef and Fish) and then add vegetables and leave out the carbs, you should do just fine. :)

I try and keep my carbs below 40 per day.  The carbs I get (usually, no one is perfect) are from my veggies and dairy.

Acid Reflux - Well, I didn't have it before, but I do now. :/  BUT I know others that had reflux and it is gone after surgery.  Mine isn't horrible and it's being treated.  Make sure you are taking something for it... after surgery you may mistake hunger pains for acid.

I am not really able to answer this question fairly because I lost about 100 lbs with the lapband before I had the sleeve.  I had excess skin before I started and I have to say it is even more horrible now.  I am already booking consultations with plastic surgeons and researching like crazy because I will want plastics (but I am very nervous about the surgery).  If you don't have as much to lose in the first place, doing some strength training exercise will help tone your body and it will look better. :)

I hope this helps answer your questions.... at least a little. :)

5'-5" ~ Lap Band 03/2008 Converted to Sleeve 11/6/2014 HW 296 Start Pre Op Diet for Sleeve 226 SW 217 -9 M1: 202 -15 M2: 196 -6 M3: 186 -10 M4: 180 -6 M5: 176 -4 M6: 171 -5 M7: 167 -4 M8: 165 -2 M9: 161 -4 M10: 158 -3 M11: 158 -0

vicwytch
on 5/21/15 7:57 am
RNY on 12/11/15

Thanks, Elizabeth, for the welcome! I think that the reflux issue is why I am opting for bypass instead of the band. I just need relief on that so bad (along with my knees). ANd thanks for the eating advice--appreciate that.

Victorria

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victorria (VicWytch)

SW: 223 CW: 149  GW: 130

RnY Surgery date: December 11, 2015

Elizabeth C.
on 5/21/15 8:16 am - Mansfield, TX

Yes, I will never advise someone to get the band.... I had so many issues with it.  I love my revision to the sleeve!  I am dealing with reflux now, but my surgeon said it may not last. Even if it does, I take 1 little pill a day and I have no issues.

5'-5" ~ Lap Band 03/2008 Converted to Sleeve 11/6/2014 HW 296 Start Pre Op Diet for Sleeve 226 SW 217 -9 M1: 202 -15 M2: 196 -6 M3: 186 -10 M4: 180 -6 M5: 176 -4 M6: 171 -5 M7: 167 -4 M8: 165 -2 M9: 161 -4 M10: 158 -3 M11: 158 -0

J Connel
on 5/20/15 1:11 pm
VSG on 04/13/15

Welcome!!

I'm about 5 weeks post-op (not a vet), but can share my experience this far.  When going through the supervised weight loss program (my insurance required 3 months), I stayed on a 1200 calorie diet.  At first that was tough, but the more protein I ate (goal was always 80g) and the less carbs I ate (goal was always less than 40), the better and better I felt.  It got to a point where I felt pretty darn good on the 1200 calorie diet.  Give yourself some time to adjust to it.  Make sure you are getting in good protein numbers and low carb numbers - this is KEY to avoiding hunger.

I didn't have GERD prior to surgery and haven't had it post either.  No help there (sorry!)

I lost about 60 lbs pre-op on the supervised weight loss stage and about 5 weeks post op have lost over 20 more.  I have excess skin in places, but it hasn't bothered me.  In my clothes I look great and you can't tell I have any extra skin - that's good enough for me!  A few I've known to have this procedure swear that the skin does tighten up some post-op if given time.  I'm 42 and honestly, excess skin doesn't keep me up at night.  I understand the reservation though.

JC

JC 5'3" HW: 283.2 SW: 224.6 CW: 140.0  M1: -20.0 M2: -10.2 M3: -13.6 M4: -6.4 M5: -7.2 M6: -7.8 M7: -6.2  M8: -5.8 M9: -2.2 M10: -5

GOAL WEIGHT ACHIEVED 2/2/16 

Follow my blog at: www.sleeveforme2014.wordpress.com

vicwytch
on 5/21/15 8:07 am
RNY on 12/11/15

Thanks JC--I noticed just in a few days of being on MFP that I do not get enough protein in my diet, and way too many carbs. Our diet is 1400 calories. Also thanks for the insight about the excess skin. I have the 'pouch' after 2 cesareans and I have a feeling that will not go away with out some strength training.

Victorria

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/15 9:19 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I too had severe GERD, which was ultimately why my doc recommended RNY instead of the sleeve (the sleeve often causes or worsens GERD while the RNY can improve or cure it). Since surgery, I haven't had a single bout of "acid nausea," which was always my primary GERD symptom. I don't know if it's cured yet (my doc puts everyone on Pepcid for at least 3 mos after surgery), but it's certainly better than it was before surgery, even when I was on twice daily Prilosec, so I'm hopeful.

vicwytch
on 5/21/15 8:09 am
RNY on 12/11/15

wow, twice daily Prilosec?? You had it worse than me--I'm on one daily and then have to sometimes supplement that with Zantac. So are you still taking the Prilosec?

Victorria

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/15 12:34 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

No, I'm just on the Pepcid now because the pills are smaller and easier to swallow this early post-op. At the 3 month mark I'll find out if I can just stop or if I'll go back to the Prilosec at that point.

Price S.
on 5/21/15 4:30 am - Mills River, NC

Welcome to the LW board.  Hope we can answer some of your questions.

1.  I was on a 1500 calorie diet for 6 month because of my Dr, insurance didn't require it.  Many insurance companies do and he required it of everyone.  As long as you stay high protein, low carb, it would work for you.  Just takes some getting used to.  We then went to a 4 week pre-op diet, 5 optifast shakes a day and one small food meal.  Even that was doable just boring.  After surgery was pretty easy.  I did not feel hunger for months.  I wasn't nauseous or anything, food smelled good, I just could care less if I ate or not.  It was wonderful.  I never had any issues staying on program while I was in the losing phase. 

2.  GERD  I had it.  My group put everyone on an acid reducer for months after surgery.  Everytime I have tried to go off mine (4 yrs in Sept), I get heartburn again.  So I am still on Prilosec.  It works for me and I don't have any issues.  I am off all my other meds so it is fine.

3.  Skin.  I was 62 when I had surgery.  I had lost 80 lbs years before with WW and had no skin issues.  This time I do.  But I look darn good in clothes, except for my upper arms.  Whether or not you will have skin issues depends on how long you have been heavy, how much you have to lose, where you carry your excess, genetics.  So know way to know for sure.  But it is still better than being fat.  I certainly am not going to have another surgery for appearances only at my age.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views