New Here - Going through Kaiser South Sacramento

Aunt_B
on 5/20/15 12:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on this site for quite a while now and thought I would go ahead and jump in. :)  I saw my PCP this morning for a physical, which she wanted before putting in a referral request to the bariatric surgery department with Kaiser South Sacramento.  She put in the referral for me but wasn't very confident that I would get approved because she said my BMI was just under the requirement.  I have no comorbities and according to her, my BMI, this morning is 38.  The odd thing is that I am 5 ft 8 in, and my highest weight that she used was 263.  I think that my height might be recorded wrong in my chart because according to the BMI chart on the wall in the exam room, that would make me at 40 BMI.  I would hate for an incorrect height be the reason that I do not get accepted into the program.

All of that to get to my question:  I was wondering if anyone who has gone through the Kaiser South Sacramento program could give me any idea on what to expect now that my PCP has put in the referral.  Will I receive a letter in the mail?  What is the typical wait time before I hear if I am accepted or denied?  In the last two weeks I've completed my cervical exam, mammogram, PCP physical, and got some of the bloodwork done.  I've been researching this for several months and it is all that I've been thinking about.  

Any information that any of you can share will be greatly appreciated!!

Elizabeth C.
on 5/20/15 1:20 pm - Mansfield, TX

I don't have Keiser, but I just wanted to say good luck and welcome!  I would definitely check with your PCP to make sure they have your height and weight recorded correctly.  :)

5'-5" ~ Lap Band 03/2008 Converted to Sleeve 11/6/2014 HW 296 Start Pre Op Diet for Sleeve 226 SW 217 -9 M1: 202 -15 M2: 196 -6 M3: 186 -10 M4: 180 -6 M5: 176 -4 M6: 171 -5 M7: 167 -4 M8: 165 -2 M9: 161 -4 M10: 158 -3 M11: 158 -0

Price S.
on 5/21/15 4:38 am - Mills River, NC

I don't have Kaiser but wanted to welcome you.

My insurance didn't require much but my Dr did.  6 months of classes, 4 week pre-op diet, all kinds of clearances.  The whole process started with an intro meeting where we found out about the program, requirements, etc.  The staff knew their stuff and could basically tell us that night if we were going to meet our insurance requirements.

Lots of folks end up with a sleep study because they have sleep apnea and it has never been diagnosed.

It may have changed in the last 4 yrs since I had surgery but the typical wait time then from referral to surgery was about 7 months. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Smartkathlyne
on 1/17/18 7:17 pm - Citrus heights, Ca
VSG on 01/16/18

I just had my surgery through Kaiser south Jan 16,

So I'm not a good person to ask about things to come. However I was one that they were dragging their feet on, so I can give you some help there.

When I asked for the surgery I had already tried several things. I'd loose 15-25 pounds and it would go right back on. Even 35 pounds one time.

I wouldn't worry too much. Your Dr is going to use the heaviest weight you have documented with her/ him in the past 6 months. Also when your set up with Bariatrics the first thing they will do is weigh and measure you. However the two things you can do for yourself is to go to ANY KAISER Dept and asked to be weighed & measured. It only takes a few minutes for them to call you in and won't cost you a dime.

Also you can figure out your own BMI or ask at weigh in they all have charts.

If things aren't moving quickly enough or you feel like your being ignored...CALL MEMBER SERVICES

I had to in the beginning I kept getting the run around for my first appointment. Don't you know with in hours I was being called with an appointment time.

They are going to ask you to loose a certain amount of weight so don't worry.

A lot of people don't realize that chronic back pain is a reason for Bariatrics surgery. I don't know anyone who is overweight that doesn't. Have back pain of some kind.

P.S. when you finally get there your going to love it. All the Dr, Nurse's and dieticians also the receptionists there are all really great people

Good luck to you

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 490 views