Hi all hope I do this right. I have a few questions

Liberty49
on 5/21/15 8:54 pm

Back in 2005 I had Lap Band no problems. Went to the the following day.  A did loose weight without trying about 60 lbs I started at 250!  I was happy although not skinny by a long shot I was happy with 190.  Well 9/14 I started gaining weight found out the band slipped down. So now I'm 220 very unhappy! Was told couldn't have another lap and or sleeve only option is gastric.  Im an ice cream / yogurt / oatmeal eater. How long is recovery and will I b able to eat some yogurt?  Also I'm now 56 im afraid of having SKIN hanging. Any thoughts for me ? Thanks Carolyn

radze09
on 5/22/15 8:09 am
RNY on 06/08/15

Don't think of hanging skin as a negative. Think of it as a battle scar. It is the reminder you won over food. Everyone is different with hanging skin, you may have little for all you know. Don't let something like skin determine you health and happiness!! If you go for the RNY surgery, you will have to watch your foods.....but you can make things work for you. You like ice cream, freeze a yogurt cup(high in protein, low in sugar). So you can have yogurt you have to find the right ones! No buying regular ones, loaded with sugar and low protein. Oatmeal could be do able, watch portion size and add some protein to it. There are so many tweaks to foods!! Recovery is again different for everyone. Do you work daily? What type of work do you do? Can you take off the time? Maybe a week or three weeks. Do you have people to help you out during recovery? There are a lot of questions that can help to determine recovery, but in that same thought, none of them could matter at all. It could be a breeze, couple days in hospital, home a week, feel great, eating/drinking fine, back to work and family. I hope you the best and do as much research as you can!! Good luck ☺

Liberty49
on 5/22/15 10:08 am

Thank you I like ur thoughts on extra skin. My only option

is gastric no rny. I have no one to help me. I'm not working

retired at 50 😊. 

Carolyn

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/15 8:24 am - Canada

Welcome Carolyn. I am 3 months post RNY surgery and have been researching and learning about this surgery for a couple years. The forums on here are all wonderful. People are very generous with their experiences. I think there is a forum for revisions but also hang out on the RNY forum as well. What I share with you from my experience and reading is the following:

You can eat any food that your new pouch will tolerate and the only way to find that out is to try the food. BUT...that does not mean that you should make poor decisions on what you chose to eat. You can still gain weight with this surgery. It comes from not being honest with yourself about your decisions on what to eat.

I eat oatmeal pretty much everyday for breakfast at this point. It is the only thing that doesn't make me "dump" If you are unfamiliar with this term do a search on this site and you will know how bad that is. I also eat yogurt at least once a day as a snack mixed with high protein powder. I do not chose ice cream.

Also, there are several posts on excess skin after weight loss. I know for a fact that I will have excess skin. I am 47 and have lost weight before when I was younger. The skin returned to normal those times. It will not this time and from what I've read it doesn't once you are older and bigger. I'm ok with that. I may decide to have plastic surgery but that is a decision that I will make at a later date. What I can say is that I have lost 45 pounds in 3 1/2 months and its not unbearable yet. I am happier to be able to move more freely and climb stairs without thinking I will die and take my grandson for long walks to the park.

In my case I was only off work for 12 days but I am part time and have a desk job. The hardest part for me was just having the time to eat at the right pace because after surgery you need to take a minimum of 30 minutes to eat a very small portion. Your new pouch is in total control.

Please do lots of research and read posts about everything to do with RNY. You must be mentally and emotionally ready to commit to this type of physical change. It is not for the weak. It is not the easy way to lose weight. But you will also find out that there are very, very few that regret their decision to do it. Myself included.

Best wishes and please feel free to contact me with anything else I can help with. 

Chris

Liberty49
on 5/22/15 10:03 am

Hi Chris

thanks for the chat!  I hope your rny works wonders for you. 

My problem is I can't have rny. They can only do gastric 😢

see there is too much scarring from the lap band.  I live alone and am afraid of issues after gastric. I had no pain nothing after lapband.

😎 Carolyn

teach2
on 5/22/15 10:18 am
RNY on 12/23/14

Gastric Bypass IS RNY

RNY on December 23, 2014 with Dr. Michael Greene

Start Weight- 225 Surgery Weight- 218 2 wk- 208 6 wk- 198 10 wk- 181 14wk-179 18 wk-172 21 wk- 168 25 wk- 162. 29 wk- 158. Mo 8 - 155

Mo 9- 150 Mo 10-148. Mo 12-145  CW 140

Liberty49
on 5/22/15 11:10 am

;-) I thought rny was the sleeve. I can't do the sleeve only gbd

Roz !!!!
on 5/22/15 12:50 pm - Butler, PA

I had my RNY (gastric bypass) over 6 years ago.  I was 56 when I had my RNY.  I started at 203 and have settled at 119.

I have loose skin and I can't guarantee you won't any but I am only 4'11 and I don't know how tall you are for your weight but I would think the taller you are the less you would have.  BUT I can tell you....loose skin and all it's the BEST thing I have ever done for myself and my family!!!!! I LOVE my RNY!!!!!  I LOVE being healthy,  I can get down on my knees and get back up,  I can play ball with the grandkids and keep up with them and I look pretty darn good in clothes!!!

I can eat sugar and fat in moderation now.  I could only eat 8 grams of sugar at a time early out.  During the losing stage you will dump (nausea, sweat etc) with the RNY when you eat sugar and fat if you over do it.  I have always been a sweet eater so having to limit those things has been a real bonus for me.  Everyone has different limits so we just can't say how your body will react. I eat Ice Cream, Yogurt, and sweets now.  I have learned my limits and I stop before I get there.

Liberty49
on 5/24/15 10:31 pm

im 56 and 5'6". I'm afraid of the pain with rny. I have had such bad reflux and gas with 

the lapband. Yogurt ice cream & oatmeal w/walnuts was my diet because of the unknown

slipped lapband giving such reflux. I am so sick I've gained so much weight back was down to

a 12-14 now I'm up to 16w 😢.  I'm loosing weight for myself but I've also been very 

lonely  would love to find a significant other to do things with but with my big stomach 

I wouldn't think about dating.  Ugh!!!   Pain? Dumping? More GAS!?  Bowel problems?

Price S.
on 5/22/15 2:15 pm - Mills River, NC

Welcome to the LW board.  Glad you had no issues with the Lap Band and did well with it.  That isn't always the case.

I am 4 yrs post op with RNY (gastric bypass).  I was 62 when I had my surgery and I have never looked back.  I do have loose skin but it doesn't hang (well, maybe my arms hang).  However, I look great in clothes and no one but Hubby sees me naked anyway. 

Yogurt and oatmeal, the right kind and right amount are certainly fine.  Ice cream, well, not for a while, maybe not ever.  But there are substitutes like homemade protein shakes and frozen yogurt that you can do. 

At 62, I was up and about quickly but not back to normal for maybe 4-6 weeks.  I work from home and could adjust my schedule so it was never an issue.  However, I am very active and it did slow me down some in the beginning.

Read and ask.  Best ways to learn.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 470 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views