Nerves

Lily2
on 5/22/15 3:06 pm

So im not really one to reach out for emotional help but I just feel like I must.  I apologize for this rant ahead of time but here goes.  I feel redundant asking this again because Ive asked it before and most of you have been so kind to help me. Question, am I to much of a light weight for surgery??  I mean to have RNY is huge.  I am 5'2" 58'yrs old and on my 1 week pre op diet now.  Surgery is scheduled for this coming Wednesday and I am scared, really scared I am making a mistake that will affect the rest of my natural born life.  But I am also afraid of the consequences of not proceeding with the surgery. Here are my concerns.

1.  I will be in the mid 180 lb range in weight at time of surgery which means i will have only 60 lbs to lose.  Yes, ive yoyo'd most of my life but at 180 lbs my BMI is in the "over weight" range.  Is this really necessary?

2.  I was diagnosed with diabeties which is what made me decide to do this.  I cannot have a sleeve (which Was my preferred choice) because of reflux.  But the issue is, I was diagnosed when on a huge dosage of prednisone for bronchitus and was drinking tons of OJ in January of this year. Combo of steroids and sugar I think put me over the edge. As side note, I have been pre diabetic for the past 3 years.  So, do I really have Diabeties or was it steroid induced.  A1C at that time was 8.6, four months later it is now 5.4 and I take Metformin.  Can I control this (if it truly is Diabeties) with diet?  Right now on my pre op my blood sugar last eve was 67 and thats a concern in itself.  My surgeon at the time of my preliminary appoint months ago stated I should more concerned with having Diabetie than having this surgery.  It made sense to me then.

Ive talked To a dietician at the Joselin Center about my concerns if I truly have diabeties and was told that my A1C would never have been that high and my blood sugar count the day I was diagnosed was 300.  She stated that at a person without diabeties would never have a blood glucose that high because those that do NOT have diabeties their bodies would know what to do with that sugar and it would Stay in the normal range.  She said "I could eat a piece of cake had have a normal glucose reading, yours would spike." Is this true?

3 My last concern is this.  Ive have been reading these forums for over six months and have learned so much but something was said that really made me pause and I would like anyone who is knowledgeable about regain to help me with this.  I asked a question concerning our stomaches and what happens to them after surgery.  Many answered, but one answer stuck with me.  I was told that our pouch can be stretched if we do not follow the plan for a lifetime.  I was told that when this happens the restrictive valve at the end of our pouch which is connected to our colon can be stretched along with the colon. Words to the effect of "one big stretched out colon" and was told  for the rest of our lives we will be hungry with no end to it.  Is this true??

I know the decision is mine to make but I have some thoughts that perhaps are not correct and I would so much appreciate any insight to my questions, any comfort to my fears and maybe just a little reassurance Im doing the right thing.  Again, I apologize for this long post but I did not know where else to turn.  Thank you.

MajorMom
on 5/23/15 2:33 am - VA

Nerves are completely normal. Take a big deep breath and let it out slowly. 

I'm not so sure you held on to the most accurate info you received about stretching pouches and valves and such. Best stick to what the majority of RNYrs are telling you. That one that you remember seems off.  I'm not an RNYr so my knowledge is very limited.  Perhaps some of our successful RNYrs here on the LW board will address that better than I can.

If you want to address your pre-diabetes RNY and DS are about the only way to go. RNY has a pretty good success rate and the DS even better for "fixing" Type II, and following a very low carb diet will help. You could be trading diabetes for reactive hypoglycemia, but again, a low carb diet will help keep that to a minimum. I hope some of our RNYrs will chime in on that one too.  I don't have reactive hypoglycemia but I can get very tired if I way over do it on sugar on an empty stomach. 

RNY or DS are good choices for folks our age. Our metabolism is gone. Diets and exercise alone don't work and never have. We are basically at war with our bodies and we need good weapons--WLS. Be strong! You can do this!

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Lily2
on 5/23/15 11:22 am

Gina thank you for your support.  Thats what Im needing right now and a good dose of common sense.

Price S.
on 5/23/15 3:56 am - Mills River, NC

I was 62 when I had RNY and pre-diabetic although no one knew until I had my A1C before surgery.  You dr is right about the diabetes.  This is the way to go. 

I don't know and have never had anyone say anything about stretching your pouch like that!!!  I know I have over eaten from time to time and certainly don't feel like that.  I do get hungry but it is usually when I should be hungry and I felt no hunger for months after surgery.  I can't imagine how you would have to eat to get in that shape.  You CAN over eat any WLS but typically it is by snacking high calorie foods all the time, not by stretching your pouch. 

WLS is not a magic bullet.  You still have to do your part.  But it did cure my BP, sleep apnea, cholesterol issues and I am a darn healthy 66 yr old now with my life back. 

Good luck on your surgery.  Nerves are normal.  Get ready for a great journey. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Lily2
on 5/23/15 11:26 am

Yes I was told that, actually I read it here on this site.  Apparently its true but hard to do.  I can relate about metabolism cuz mine is pretty much shot.  Thanks for the encouraging words!

JB1114
on 5/23/15 9:16 am - Grain Valley, MO

I was told that our pouch can be stretched if we do not follow the plan for a lifetime.  I was told that when this happens the restrictive valve at the end of our pouch which is connected to our colon can be stretched along with the colon. Words to the effect of "one big stretched out colon" and was told  for the rest of our lives we will be hungry with no end to it.  Is this true??

I'll be 7 years out in July, RNY, and have never heard this.  You have to keep in mind many people post what they seem to thank are true facts when they aren't.  I commented I usually vomit during dumping and someone told me vomiting wasn't part of dumping.  Yes, it is.  Sugar causes me to dump.

I wouldn't think your surgeon would perform this surgery on you if he/she didn't think it was necessary.  It's common to be nervous.

Good luck. 

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Lily2
on 5/23/15 11:35 am

I guess like anything Jo I should read between the lines.  But Im not knowledgable enough about this to know what to take in, so Im taking everything in.  I surf these boards everyday, some days what I read frightens me "like that above post which I do believe was exaggerated but true" and others inspires me and gives me reassurance. There are a variety of opinions and I guess in time I will come to my own truths.  Right now Im scared, more scared than I thought I would be at this point.  But with ppl like you giving me encouragement, well, I guess thats what I needed.  Thanks so much!

italianspice
on 5/26/15 4:33 am - Eastlake, OH

Feeling anxious is perfectly normal. 

Regarding the diabetes, my type 2 is in remission since day after surgery in 2005. What you were told about diabetes is true. Normal insulin levels will keep your blood sugar less than 180 after eating or drinking. This is called post prandial glucose level.

If you abuse your pouch, you can stretch the stoma. This does not dilate your colon, but can make you feel more hungry because your new stomach empties too quickly. Our pouches do get bigger by the 1 year mark we can probably hold about 1 cup of food, but in the beginning just a couple of ounces.

I have struggled with a 32 pound regain because I started eating refined carbs like pretzels and graham crackers. I also was eating too much fruit and not enough protein. These kinds of food do not make me feel full and I can graze more through out the day. So I am back on track and have lost 15 pounds so far. No stretched pouch or colon here. I still have restriction and will dump if I eat too much sugar or fats, especially on an empty stomach. So if I follow the rules of my surgery, my tool still works.

The biggest blessing is so far my type 2 diabetes is still in remission!

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

Lily2
on 5/26/15 6:14 am

Thank you for sharing that part of your journey.  This past week on my pre-op for some readon I just freaked out. Tomorrow morning is my surgery date and Im not sure why but I woke up this morning calm and pretty sure of what Im about to do.  Thanks again for the encouragement!

tracik3
on 5/28/15 2:49 pm

Lily2, did you get the surgery?  I could of almost wrote the original post.  I am not diabetic yet but am pre diabetic, and I'm 46.  I have been on BP pills since I was 40.  I have been on nexium for probably 10 years. 

I have also been reading these boards for months.  I will go shopping and get disgusted with my body and clothes shopping and decide screw it! I'm having the surgery. Then I read boards and get scared again and change my mind.  UGH

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 473 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views