Have you or anyone you know been approved b/c of depression?

maryeuh
on 7/4/15 9:55 am

Im just curious? I know Ive seen depression listed as a  comorbidities. I'm just wondering if it's possible to use to get approval from tricare or any other insurance? 

Thank you in advance. :)

Price S.
on 7/4/15 3:00 pm - Mills River, NC

I don't know of any, with or without other co-morbidities.  I would think that also may make it harder to get through the psychological.  My surgeon suggested that everyone go on antidepressants before surgery to help with hormones so at least that would not be contraindicated. 

Good luck finding out.  I would check with your insurance and surgeon.  My Dr's office team knew exactly which insurance would take what and what their requirements were. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

maryeuh
on 7/4/15 9:47 pm
On July 4, 2015 at 3:00 PM Pacific Time, Price S. wrote:

I don't know of any, with or without other co-morbidities.  I would think that also may make it harder to get through the psychological.  My surgeon suggested that everyone go on antidepressants before surgery to help with hormones so at least that would not be contraindicated. 

Good luck finding out.  I would check with your insurance and surgeon.  My Dr's office team knew exactly which insurance would take what and what their requirements were. 

The problem is, I think I'm going to try and get my surgery done at my base hospital. I think they offer that. And I think I read somewhere you do t have to deal with tricare if that is the case. 

But I won't know until I actually I ask! So ask I shall. 

Navychic
on 7/5/15 4:07 am
RNY on 02/09/15

Heres the link to the tricare site and a list of all the details of what they will approve for WLS.  www.tricare.mil/  It doesn't list Depresssion as a reason, but it does say not all reasons are listed... so maybe.... fingers crossed for you!

Godd luck in your quest!

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

maryeuh
on 7/5/15 8:25 am
On July 5, 2015 at 4:07 AM Pacific Time, Navychic wrote:

Heres the link to the tricare site and a list of all the details of what they will approve for WLS.  www.tricare.mil/  It doesn't list Depresssion as a reason, but it does say not all reasons are listed... so maybe.... fingers crossed for you!

Godd luck in your quest!

Thank you so much. I'm wondering what they mean when they say "but not limited to" I am sure if I call and ask they aren't going to tell me what comorbidities they accept. 

Roz !!!!
on 7/6/15 3:16 am, edited 7/6/15 3:16 am - Butler, PA

When I had my Physiologist visit he mentioned  the reason the appointment was mandatory was to show I wasn't depressed or having physiological problems that would be making me want to have my RNY.  He said you had to be in the right state of mind to make this decision.  He also said he had to assure them I wanted the surgery and no one has forcing me to have it. So it might hurt you rather than help you.

I never have emotional problems but for about 3 months after my RNY I did suffer with some sort of depression.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...