Labs, again

Price S.
on 2/5/16 7:59 am - Mills River, NC

So I just got my labs back and I think they look pretty good.  They don't show D3 so I have called to see if it didn't print or they didn't run it or what.  I hope I don't have to go back in but at least it shouldn't be one that is fasting.

However, I was surprised that my ferritin was so low.  It was 16ng/ml, normal range is 15.0-200.  I couldn't find it on my labs last year but 2014 it was 55.  I have never had to take iron, had a hysterectomy back in the early 90s.  My WLS appointment is next Friday.  Should I go on and start taking something?  I have easy iron, ferrous bis-glycinate, but that is it. 

Darn, I certainly don't need anything else constipating.  I already do benefiber every day.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

italianspice
on 2/5/16 7:26 pm - Eastlake, OH

My ferritin was 16 too. Definitely start taking your iron.

I find the carbonyl iron is not too bad on the tummy. Dont forget the vitamin c

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

MajorMom
on 2/6/16 3:34 am - VA

If constipation is an issue get some Proferrin ES or a prescription for Proferrin Forte. It's heme iron and one of the most gentle, non constipating, forms of iron. Vitalady carries it but you can also order from Amazon or the Proferrin web site.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 2/6/16 4:37 am - Mills River, NC

So I take it with C but separate from the rest?  I never had to take it and can't remember.  With meals or without?

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

italianspice
on 2/6/16 5:40 am - Eastlake, OH

I separate the iron and the calcium by 2 hours. I take the vitamin c with my iron. So I am back to taking supplements about every two hours during the day.

I also will not take with dairy, coffee tea, acid reducers, or protein drinks. Will usually have a small fruit snack or cherry tomatoes, I tend to burp up the carbonyl iron, small price to pay. 

I think the restriction with the proferrin is less. Maybe Gina can offer more info.

~Maria

Price S.
on 2/6/16 6:14 am - Mills River, NC

I don't have 4 hr, 2 before 2 after that I am not eating something you named other than the middle of the night.    I guess I will try to do them when I get up at night to pee.  I think I did that once before then realized my iron was fine and stopped.

MajorMom
on 2/6/16 3:27 pm - VA

You don't have to be as careful with heme iron as with the other forms. You can take it with food but I tend to try not to take it too close to calcium, even though you can, I think there might be some interference still. When I take it I only give a separation window of about an hour and I split the tablet(s) in half to give it every advantage without going crazy. 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

italianspice
on 2/6/16 7:45 am - Eastlake, OH

I know it is tough. I love tea, had to cut back.

Look up Proferrin's website, I think its better absorbed and has less restrictions. If you get it, you do need to break the tablet in half. I am sure Gina has more info, she is sure smart when it comes to vites

But now I am back on a routine, its not too bad. I do not want to go for infusions.

0500-0600 synthroid with water

08-09 now I have my protein/dairy /coffee with my vites and calcium. maybe some tea or another coffee

10-11 Wait 2 hours, may have a cutie orange/ cherry tomatoes and my iron. Water with lemon.

12-1 lunch, more vites and calcium

2-3 mid afternoon iron/c with lemon water maybe a fruit or veggie

5-6 dinner last batch of calcium and vites

bedtime iron/c

Thats my ideal routine, at work sometimes gets off schedule

~Maria

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!