Newly post op

kaymommy
on 2/16/16 5:19 pm - Bradford, Canada
RNY on 02/12/16

Well it was finally my turn under the knife on Friday and though the first 2 days were rocky I am feeling fantastic now. My main goal yesterday was to walk the rest of that damn painful gas off and thankfully I think I have. Today my goal was to focus on getting in my meal plan. They provided me with a sample meal plan for the full fluids stage and I have been trying so hard but I get so full so quickly. I have gotten in maybe half the full fluids and vitamins I was supposed too. I just can't fit anymore. I get his weird random and kinda painful hiccup when I'm at my full point it's like this weird signal that tells me I'm done. I've decided to just listen to my body and try and get in what I can right now or I'm going to go nuts lol. Any tips on getting in good water and protein when ur always feel full after a few sips? I can't wait for this to get easier cause I'm so worried I'm messing everything up already. 

Referral 12/22/14 Orientation 2/27/15 Nutritionist & SW 9/25/15  Dr. Glazer 12/1/15 Nurse 12/14/1545  Opti 1/29/16  Surgery 2/12/16

HW:244.8 Ref:234.6

MajorMom
on 2/17/16 2:20 am - VA

Congratulations!  Fluids are your #1 priority and there are some tricks you might try: differ the temperature to see if warmer or cooler is easier, add a little squeeze of fresh lemon or lime, or turn your water into herbal tea. Keep sipping, it's a full-time job.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 2/17/16 4:28 am - Mills River, NC

Between the full feeling and everything tasting "off", many of us struggle in the beginning.  For me warm was much better than cold.  And herbal tea tasted the most normal.  I used unflavored protein in my warm tea a lot in the beginning because all the shake kind of stuff was way to strong tasting.  It really does require looking at it like a job and just keeping at it.  During surgery and at the hospital they fill you full of fluid so you are ok for a day or so but then you really need the fluids.  Everything else will come in time.  Hang in there.  Sip, walk, rest, repeat.  You can do this.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 2/17/16 7:10 am - Butler, PA

Welcome to the Losers Bench!!!!!   You are a hiccuper like me....YEAH!!!  At over 7 years out I still hiccup when my pouch is full and I love it!!!   I have learned to never take another bite!!!!!!   Some posters have runny noses, runny eyes, etc.  I LOVE my hiccups!! 

Like the others suggested warm went down a lot better than cold plus it's soothing.  I wouldn't worry about protein at a couple days out just concentrate on getting your liquids in.  Water, tea, broth, etc.  In a couple of weeks when you are able to have a whole glass or cup of liquid then start adding some protein in.  I used GNC Anyway Unflavored Protein and I put it in everything from broth, SF jello, SF pudding, SF hot chocolate etc.  When I was allowed puree I added it to that too. 

Everything tasted extremely strong, sweet, sour etc. early out.  It took me about 4 months before my taste buds got back to normal.

Congrats Again and enjoy this roller coaster ride to a healthier you!!!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

lerkhart
on 2/17/16 2:27 pm

Congratulations on your surgery!  It is a wonderful journey.

I have the runny nose.  It is funny how we have different full signs.

I agree with the others warm liquids go down better.  You can actually use room temperature water instead of chilling it-add in crystal lite & protein powders.  Don't be afraid to try different things.  You can buy samples of protein powders so you don't have to buy an entire tub.

Good luck!

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
kaymommy
on 2/17/16 6:55 pm - Bradford, Canada
RNY on 02/12/16

I'm on the hunt for some protein samples right now. I definitely don't like the powder I have and I'm already sick of the premier ones. I found my mint tea went down really well this morning and I had a decafe coffee mixed with some premier protein and that was ok too. I also made some fat free sugar free chocolate pudding and used my chocolate premier instead of milk to make it then added in some PB2 for a little extra protein. I only had about 2/3 of a cup of the pudding spread out over the day but I got more liquids in with the tea and coffee then yesterday. Now to fit the vitamins in too. I'm just happy to be able to get a little more in each day. 

Referral 12/22/14 Orientation 2/27/15 Nutritionist & SW 9/25/15  Dr. Glazer 12/1/15 Nurse 12/14/1545  Opti 1/29/16  Surgery 2/12/16

Price S.
on 2/18/16 4:41 am - Mills River, NC

You can get samples from Syntrax and Unjury also I think.  I haven't used anything but Syntrax in years but at one point, Vitalady had samples you could buy and I think I bought maybe 20 trying different things.  I get tired of the choco/vanilla stuff and Syntrax Naturals really helps get away from those.  I use the lemon tea and Caribbean cooler but others like fuzzy navel, grapefruit, etc.  I can't so the ready to drink at all.  I just can't get past the taste.  We had tasting sessions with my Dr group so we could try a bunch without buying them.  That was really helpful.  Most everything tasted too strong in the beginning or too much like chemicals. 

You are doing great.  Just keep working at getting those fluids in and everything else will come.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

lerkhart
on 2/18/16 10:23 am

Most of mine are Syntrax also that is the kind I like best.

You can also get samples from vitalady.com  They are $2.99 each.  Way cheaper than buying a big tub and not liking it.  Doing the samples also lets you have a little variety if you like several different kinds.

My go to proteins are:  Syntrax Nectar Cappuccino, Syntrax Nectar Lemon Tea and I also have a Syntrax Nectar Chocolate of some type on hand to make protein hot chocolate and frozen drinks.

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
ancaandreea
on 3/4/16 3:37 pm
RNY on 02/23/16

Well your post pretty much summed what mine was going to be lol...I'm a week and a half out had surgery feb 23. I was concerned with water at first but now I find I can get a lot more in I guess as swelling goes down it gets easier...I freaked out thinking I stretched my pouch already lol my poor dr probably thinks I'm nuts. I also get the painful hiccup and find its best to stop then. The only advice I can give you is sip sip sip... As for protein I don't know...I can't get any down so I'm looking for advice too :(

kaymommy
on 3/6/16 9:40 am - Bradford, Canada
RNY on 02/12/16

Luckily I am doing a lot better now. I'm just over 3 weeks post op now and can get a good 60 - 80 grams of protein in now. Still struggling to gy all the water in though and there are days I get busy and forget a snack or get full before I completely finish my meal. I'm not so worried now and have my follow up and nutrition class this Wednesday sk I'll find out hen if I'm on track. Good luck with your recovery. Hope you find a protein drink you like soon.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 489 views