Any ideas on Pain in my upper stomach?

Roz !!!!
on 4/19/16 10:40 am - Butler, PA

I've been having a terrible time with pain under my breast bone.

I've already had my Gallbladder removed. They did a scope and no ulcers and  a CT Scan that looked normal.  Sometimes I think it's acid and other times I think it is terrible gas that has settled there.  Going to my PCP on Thursday. It's keeping me up at night and my DH is worried sick about me. 

I think I'm overdosing on Malanta and Gas-Ex.  I think it all started soon after I had my bowel obstruction repaired in December but it's getting worse.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Price S.
on 4/19/16 12:59 pm - Mills River, NC

Are you still taking your Prilosec or whatever?  When I stop mine, about a week later I get a burn right in the center of my chest at the top of my ribs.  A few days back on it and it goes away.

I had the worse gas I have EVER had last weekend.  It must have been something I ate at the horse show but no one else seemed affected and we all ate the same thing.  Once I left and farted my way home, for over an hour, it was better.  Then once home I took gasx and was fine.  Even if it is gas, it shouldn't last this long. 

I remember them talking about why we are not suppose to take NCIDS and it is because we can get ulcers in the part of the stomach that remains.  There is no way to see in there because it isn't connected anymore.  I have never understood why they leave it anyway.  They take it out with sleeves.  But maybe that is what is wrong.  I know they can't scope it but maybe the CT scan would show it.

My other thought is that it is an adhesion that is pulling.  Would that show up on the CT scan?  I think a hernia would show up in the scope. 

Other than all that, I am out of ideas.  But I hate you leaving home not knowing or getting some relief.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 4/20/16 1:35 pm - Butler, PA

I take my Prilosec every day.  Before he scooped me for the ulcer he had me taking it twice a day.  After I posted yesterday the Dr. called me.  I explained my symptoms again and he keeps insisting I see the Surgeon who did my bowel blockage.  I called his office but I couldn't get past the nurse.  She said my symptoms wouldn't have anything to do with it. He also wants me to see my PCP and I go there tomorrow before we leave.   He told me my bypass looked good but I don't know what that meant.

What time of day do you take your Prilosec? 

I rarely take pain meds.  I hate taking pills.  The gas works sometimes and then other times there is acid so I take Malanta and Rolaids.  He wants me to use Zantac instead of Malanta.

Roz

on Maintenance

Price S.
on 4/20/16 4:37 pm - Mills River, NC

I take mine at bed time.  If I have reflux, I take tums.  Which Dr are you talking about when you say "he"?  I think I would be talking to your WLS surgeon if that is possible.  I still think it could be ulcers in your stomach that isn't connected to anything.  but I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, LOL.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

lerkhart
on 4/19/16 4:57 pm

I would asked if the CT scan would show an ulcer in the stomach they left.  I'm with Price, I don't think they can scope that part of your stomach anymore.

I would think that gas would have worked its way out by now.

Do the Malanta and Gas X help any?

I hope you feel better soon!!

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Roz !!!!
on 4/20/16 1:41 pm - Butler, PA

The Dr. called me yesterday after I posted and he wants me to start taking Zantac plus the Prilosec I take every day.  If I notice I have gas and take the Gax X it helps for awhile but it seems to build right back up. 

Sometimes in the morning when I wake up my mouth and tongue feel burnt like I drank hot top.  I don't notice and acid reflux though...it's strange.  Other times when I can feel the acid I keep drinking Malanta until it calms down. 

I go to my PCP tomorrow before we leave.  Maybe he has an idea.  I don't quite understand what the CT scan was for so hopefully he can explain it to me.

Roz

on Maintenance

lerkhart
on 4/20/16 3:01 pm

Sure hope they can figure out what is going on!

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Jody ***
on 4/21/16 7:22 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

Hi Roz - I hope you can get it figured out, but I agree - I'd ask about the remnant stomach and if there is an issue there.  Unfortunately a lot of times they can't tell and have to do surgery just to look around.  Hope it doesn't get to that.  

Take care of yourself!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

jodiboone
on 5/26/16 6:42 am

I would go back to your bariatric doctor if possible. I had RNY in Sept 2010. In Nov 2011 I woke up one morning with abdominal pain that was in the center of my chest. By lunchtime I was nauseated and the pain was worse. I am a nurse and worked in a doctors office at the time. The doctor I worked for sent me down to the ER. The ER did a CT Scan and blood work and said I had a bacterial infection and was going to send me home (we had just come home from a cruise so I believed it was possible that I had picked up a bug while we were on vacation). While I was waiting to be discharged, my boss looked over my CT Scan results and thought they looked odd. She called my bariatric surgeon and explained my symptoms and he sent me to his ER immediately. By the time I got there I was dry heaving non-stop and in severe pain. Within an hour I was having emergency surgery. The weight loss had created a small hole where they had rerouted the stomach and my intestines had telescoped through that hole, became twisted and was not getting enough blood. It is a life-threatening condition that is fairly rare in weight loss patients but it does happen. The ER missed it but my bariatric surgeon knew what to look for. 

I hope this isn't the case for you but wanted to share my experience. I hope you get answers you are looking for!! 

HW: 225  SW: 215  LW: 136  CW: 164= getting back on track!!

"For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views